HL2, great game- BUT WHERE THE HEC IS THE STORY??

D

-doubledash-

hasn't ne1 else noticed how, altho half life 2 is gr8 there is practically no storyline/ i mean, all it is is a bunch of dudes (the combine) oppressing the good guys hu fight bak and win. u don't even find out what prof. breens evil plan is. And the end sequence where time stops- u think ur questions r about to be answered but WHAT AN ANTI CLIMAX TO A GR8 GAME! none of ur questions r answered- there is practically no story. If ne1 has figured out what the hec acctually happened pls let me no.

Plus, if you know the storyline to the first game, the plot arcs in the sequel take on greater meaning.

Quoted for truth, if I remember correctly.

EDIT: And btw, if you can't see a story in the game at all, you shouldn't be playing video games period. Its quite easy to tell/see it.

-doubledash- said:
hasn't ne1 else noticed how, altho half life 2 is gr8 there is practically no storyline/ i mean, all it is is a bunch of dudes (the combine) oppressing the good guys hu fight bak and win. u don't even find out what prof. breens evil plan is. And the end sequence where time stops- u think ur questions r about to be answered but WHAT AN ANTI CLIMAX TO A GR8 GAME! none of ur questions r answered- there is practically no story. If ne1 has figured out what the hec acctually happened pls let me no.

Welcome to last November :p

and the forums.

Even with all the backstory and visual clues and little bits of info you can pick out and put together...I wasn't terribly impressed with the plot...but ah well.

Its all there. And don't say it isn't, someone managed to design a whole webpage about it.

I am strongly in favor of the spelling + IQ test when signing up.

In the eyes of all that is good and powerful, i dub thee.... ignoramus that hath not playeth half-life one-us..... er... yeah.

-doubledash- said:

Everyone else with an IQ over 10 managed to follow the story okay. :flame:

:O There is loads of storyline! And like Shadow6899 said Valve don't tell you the story they show you it.

-doubledash- said:

wow..... no plot in the hl series? First, go buy your self a copy of hl1. It's not expensive and it's a pretty good game. Second, THINK! Third, i betcha if you used the search button their are about a thousand other threads started by people who just because they couldn't figure out the story arc decided to lable hl2 as a game just made to show of graphics and action.

The story arc, for me at least, is what attracts me most to the hl series.

the story of hl2 rocks
its not valves fault if its too complex and subtle for you to grasp

It's got a story, but it's not nearly as great as everyone makes it out to be. Aliens invading Earth, the end. Personally I would've liked it if they detailed the actual invasion and 7-hour war(which btw I find totally unrealistic given the way Gordon and a band of ill-equipped rebels give them such a hard time) more. What we got was Gordon being transported back to Earth, some madman/traitor has made a deal with the aliens, and then after defeating said madman Gordon gets accosted by the G-man again. No conclusion, no payoff. Valve atleast tried to create an intriguing story so I shouldn't be too hard on them but HL2 created more questions than answered them.

Oh yeah, please post in English. Leave phrases like 'gr8' and 'ne1' for the chatrooms and car license plates.

jet jaguar said:
It's got a story, but it's not nearly as great as everyone makes it out to be. Aliens invading Earth, the end. Personally I would've liked it if they detailed the actual invasion and 7-hour war(which btw I find totally unrealistic given the way Gordon and a band of ill-equipped rebels give them such a hard time) more.

The reason the combine were able to take over earth and the reason Gordon and a band of rebels are able to give the combine such hell is that the 7 hours war and the current resistance v. combine are two entirerly different situations. the 7 hours war the combine drop out of then air on to a bewildered humanity. Think about it, think about how much you would fear an enemy like this. You've never seen anything like the combines' synths before and suddenly they are droping everywhere around you. In the seven hours war the combine were up against a conventional army too. The resistance in hl2 is hardly what i would call conventional by todays standards. Plus the resistance has the benifit of knowing what the combine are so their isn't any undue fear (but their is some degree of fear) and they know how to take out synths and combat overwatch.

But lets leave it at that cause i'm probably already crossing the line into thread hijacking with this post.

jet jaguar said:
It's got a story, but it's not nearly as great as everyone makes it out to be. Aliens invading Earth, the end. Personally I would've liked it if they detailed the actual invasion and 7-hour war(which btw I find totally unrealistic given the way Gordon and a band of ill-equipped rebels give them such a hard time) more. What we got was Gordon being transported back to Earth, some madman/traitor has made a deal with the aliens, and then after defeating said madman Gordon gets accosted by the G-man again. No conclusion, no payoff. Valve atleast tried to create an intriguing story so I shouldn't be too hard on them but HL2 created more questions than answered them.

There is a whole lot more to it than that. You can narrow every story in every game, book or move down to a single sentence but there is so much more to them than meets the eye.

FCBob said:
But lets leave it at that cause i'm probably already crossing the line into thread hijacking with this post.

Actually, I thought your post contained many story elements right there. :)

This guy probably thinks Doom 3's storyline was flawless. After all, closet demons, and no duct tape make sense. :rolling:

Let's sum all this up in two simple sentences:

Half-Life 1 : Aliens invade Earth
Half-Life 2 : Aliens invade Earth

Not much change, is there?

At least id Software games have more variety and try to be different:

Doom 1/2/3 : Demons invade Mars/Earth
Quake : Hero fights HP Lovecraft-type beasties in their own realm
Quake 2/4 : Humans invade cyborg alien homeworld in attempt to end a war

Have you also noticed, that in a lot of id Software games, the fight is taken to the enemy world, rather than as an act of resistance on one's own homeworld?

OK, so Quake 2/4 aren't very original with the cyborg thing (think Star Trek's Borg) but in the former, whole limbs are replaced with weapons in most cases.

All I'm saying is I like the story in Half-Life as a one-off, especially the way it is executed, but to repeat the same premise in the sequel is LAME.

There's only a story if you think there is one.

Otherwise, it all depends on how you interpret it. For some, it's just a collection of random events while to others, it's a extremely detailed and extensive story.

only idiots are the ones who can't follow storylines that are showed to them....so that makes you a huge idiot. go away.

doubledash,

it would please me greatly if you died :cheers:

PLEASE follow my handy list of instructions in t3h future ;

1.Use the search button, there are many, MANY threads and topics related to this.

2. Do not assume anything, we have learnt already that assumptions on the HL saga always end in tears and broken coconuts :|

3.NEVER, and i mean NEVER, go to a HL website and post some random crap like this and not expect flames.

4***n before t3h f1/¬\|\/|3r5 get here!

There is plenty of story to see. However I see what this guy, and people like him are saying. The game is awesome no doubt in that, but it could be so much better. Let gordon talk, hl2 fanboys stfu because the its the way valve does things is bs. People know there not gordon, it would not take you out of the game to hear gordon talk. I think it takes me out of the game even more when people are talking to me about tons of mess and I dont say a word. If Im gordon Im either a dumb*** who cant speak english, or a mute.

long story short. Imo the story was there and it was good, but it could have been alot better.

Foebane said:

All I'm saying is I like the story in Half-Life as a one-off, especially the way it is executed, but to repeat the same premise in the sequel is LAME.
Um......aren't you contradicting yourself here dude? Doom 1 and 2 were pretty much exactly the same. Halflife 1 and 2 are entirely different.

In Halfife a science experiment goes wrong and aliens invade. In Halflife 2 its the aftermath of that experiment and entire world has been effected rather then just some secret laboratory in nevada.

And to troll forums is just LAME as well

Making gordon talk is a huge mistake from which the game would undoubtedly suffer.

The simple fact is that unless the game contains an impossible voice recognition AI program, a talking gordon will be just as stupid and unable to communicate as he is now. Only louder.
Want to ask Kliener how a scanner flies? You can't.
Want to ask what the g-man is? Unless there's a new "ask what g-man is" key, that won't happen.

As for the story, how would gordon audibly talking suddenly make the plot better? Valve would still control the dialogue, and still keep what they want secret and what they don't want hidden. It would be exactly the same only, again, louder.

Gordon does talk in the game, only it is left to your imagination what he says. You click the squad movement key, and it's the same as saying "go over there".

A dearth of imagination is the real problem here.

It's no different than the people who say "I can't see my legs therefore I am floating. WHY AM I FLOATING???"

Valve never gaurunteed a story that EVERONE can understand...therefore, why do we expect one?

If you were put into the same situation in real life (you suddenly show up in an opressed city only to become a leader of a rebellion trying to save your friends), do you expect that everything will come together into a nice tight story where you figure out all the details? Do you walk around in real life always thinking: "this isn't a such a great story"? The fact is that many people are trying to look for hollywood-style stories or fairytales in a game that is trying to be as natural and believable as possible. There is more than one way to tell a story and there is more than one type of story to tell.

Have you also noticed, that in a lot of id Software games, the fight is taken to the enemy world, rather than as an act of resistance on one's own homeworld?

OK, so Quake 2/4 aren't very original with the cyborg thing (think Star Trek's Borg) but in the former, whole limbs are replaced with weapons in most cases.

in hl1 and 2, you do take the fight to the enemy. What the do you call going into xen or fighting your way into the citadel? thats counts as taking the fight to the enemy in my book

why does everyone think that the combine, the metropolice/civil protection unitsa are evil?

am i the only one who was touched by breen's speechs?

Foebane said:

Your really quite one dimensional aren't you. Since when did they repeat the same premise...the aliens that invaded in the first, are the same aliens you see in Half-life 2 (Xen, that is). If you can't see beyond an alien invasion, then I don't see how your going to get any further with other games. I know I didn't see any aliens invaded Earth in hl2, oh yeah, thats because they already had.

There is so much more to it than a premise, someone managed to make an entire website on the half-life saga. I couldn't even write out a page regarding dooms story.

And 15357...you were touched by Breens lies :p

And there was much more nuance in the story of HL1 than simply "aliens invade". For a start, it wasn't an invasion, it was an accident. Creatures from another world just ended up on Earth, and defended themselves.

Then you find out that they've known about these aliens for a lot longer, and that experiments have been conducted upon them, and incursions made into their homeworld.

Then the alien's reasons for turning the incident into a full-blown invasion start to appear a lot more clear. It's retaliation.

The point about the story of the Half-Life series is that you, the player, are supposed to be an active participant, not a passive observer. You have to keep your brain switched on, figure out the connections yourself. Wonder who the G-Man is, what he's upto, what the Combine is doing on Earth, wonder where all the water has gone, seeing as how there's several meters deep of it missing, wonder what happened to Eli's leg. There are reasons for all these things, a history to this world, but don't expect the game to just tell you all the answers straight off, you're supposed to work some of them out for yourself.

Foebane said:

You fight different enemies in HL2, the environment is different (no more Black Mesa), other HEV suite (and possibilities like zooming in), new weapons (gravity gun), new characters (Alyx, Breen), you know more about what's happened (7-hour war) etc.

And you dare to say HL1 = HL2?

Dude, be realistic and stop the ID fanboyism.

15357 said:
why does everyone think that the combine, the metropolice/civil protection unitsa are evil?

am i the only one who was touched by breen's speechs?

it was all a big lie, the end kinda gave it up.

Sprafa said:
it was all a big lie, the end kinda gave it up.

no, breen was just influenced by the evil of Dr.Vance.

Breen is also the saviour of the planet, don't forget that ;).

Back