HL2 Interview with Ken Birdwell and Josh Weier - SharkyExtreme.com

oldnews.jpg

Sorry, I just wanted to see the pic in action, hehe, i think ive read that one, i'm not sure :x

Originally posted by simmo2k3
oldnews.jpg

Sorry, I just wanted to see the pic in action, hehe, i think ive read that one, i'm not sure :x

Brilliant response, as the date for the article only reads 13th June, which happens to be today.

I found some interesting things, for example this:

"SE - Obviously from 1999 to 2003, there have been a lot of technological increases in the level of graphical quality. New Direct X releases, newer video cards, things like that. How did the Half-Life 2 engine evolve from when it first began in 1999 to now in order to keep itself from becoming graphically, and even technologically, outdated?

Ken - Actually, technology-wise it hasn't [evolved much]. Right from the beginning, one of our major goals was scalability. We wanted to make sure that our engine would scale to hardware that wasn't going to ship for several years. We knew it was going to be a three to four year development process. So when we started we said "Okay, let's project what graphics hardware will look like in three to four years." Get a rough idea of the polygon counts. Talk to NVIDIA. Talk to ATI. Get an idea as to what direction they are going. And how fast they were going. We offer all of our content at extremely high resolution. All of our base textures are 2 [kilobytes] by 2 [kilobytes]. All of our polygon counts are very, very high. We won't actually ship that, primarily because there's currently no hardware that can possibly [run] it. However, once hardware releases that can run it, then we might release that higher rez content. So we actually author for hardware that doesn't exist. And then our game will scale from a [Direct X 9 system] all the way down to [Direct X 6]. Of course, it certainly won't look like this on a DX6, but the game will still play and it will still be fun. "

Thank you Jager

FROFFFFL (Focking Rolling on the Focking Filthy Floor, Focking Lauging).. god those images can be anoying

Ah, great news guys, look at this!

"SE - One thing that I noticed while watching the demo was that Half-Life 2 was much more open, in terms of environment. Is Valve trying to convey a sense of the alien presence spreading, outside the confines of the Black Mesa facility and infiltrating civilization?

Josh - The game really, kind of goes all around. But the thing is that we do not teleport the player like in other games where you go somewhere and the game stops and then all of a sudden you're in a new place. We want this to be a continuous experience because we thought that that was another thing that was really important in Half-Life 1. From the minute you started till the minute you ended there was this continuous flow. And people really liked that. For me, when I played the game, that was great. That's what I loved. So, you'll have a really wide array of places that you'll be going, but you'll be doing the traveling. And that's when the vehicles start to make sense. You'll have these wide-open spaces, but you don't want to walk across them. That wouldn't be any fun. But it's pretty fun to drive across them so in the one map you saw, we have this wide open [expanse].
But it will give you little hints as to what was there before and what's there now. And that develops as a useful tool to push the plot forward."

NOW I am so happy :D

Oh yeah this part also:

"And then really push the art direction. Our art team did tons and tons of prototypes and mock-ups, sketches, oil paintings of what we wanted Half-Life 2 to look like. After we started to get a good idea from the art team about what we wanted the whole game to look like and the visual feel was, we started working on technology of how do we make that visual sense come into our game. How do we get that look? How do we get that feel? And then express that in code. "

See how games should be created? Not like Carmak does them "oh I must write this uber engine with cool shadows.. but for what game should I use it? As yeah, Doom III".

lol.. comments about carmacs ways.. I love the valve guys

edit: O no.. they dident said that but you did.. next time use quote tags to formulate your post's better hmmkay?

i hate john carmack i hope he dies along with the entire doom 3 team.

I dont hate him. but he seems so arrogant. he doesnt involves in the community as friendly and ass cool as valve does. Carmack is the only person in the id team that I dont like. there is jan van waveren (I think that is his name) who is dutch and is a AI coder and I talked to him a few times .. he was cool. And I also admire kenneth scott Who is dah best concept artist in dah world IMO. his work and style is soo amazing and EVIL (ls also an awsome skinner who did almost all off the Q3A skins).

And I believe DOOM³ is going to be a great and scary game. but not ass detailes and awsome as Half-Life² is going to be

Originally posted by EVIL
lol.. comments about carmacs ways.. I love the valve guys

edit: O no.. they dident said that but you did.. next time use quote tags to formulate your post's better hmmkay?

yeah sorry, I fixed it with tags :)

"SE - And how's multiplayer so far?

Josh - I don't know if we're discussing that yet.

SE - You can't give us little clues as to if it will include Capture the Flag or Team Fortress?

Josh -
"

HAHAHAHA ahaha hah...z........zz.....z.........zzzzzzzzzzzZZ

Dammit I need more eye candy, more screenshot goodies, more aliens...... somethiing to get me through to Sept. 30.

From now on all HL fans should stipulate that whenever Valve sends anyone out to talk to teh media, they must carry at least four peices of artwork.

Originally posted by ValVed RaY

well, what is wrong with carmack? he is a brillent programmer...

he has never impressed me, i don't think he's good at all.
and i hate him because he makes crappy games and makes people waste their money.

What forum did you get banned from again?

You seriously need to cut back on the "I hope they die", "I'll Kill You" stuff.

Here try this, "You know I really disagree with John Carmack, he really failed to take Doom 3 anywhere."

he has never impressed me, i don't think he's good at all.
and i hate him because he makes crappy games and makes people waste their money.

let me disagree with you.
1)"he makes people waste thier money." Doom almsot invented shareware. you could get part of the game for free!!! how is that wasting money?

2)"He makes crappy games." that is your opinion, and you're entitled to it, but i also disagree with you on that. the way you've plaed doom3 is the alpha version, which is actully fun, and it was version .02. you can't judge your opinion of a game of of the .02 version of it.

3) "He has never impresed me." the fact that he hans't impressed you impresses me. so you can code, almost on your own, a full graphics and gameplay engine?

Man they wasted a lot of time talking about the faces. I mean that facial animation stuff is cool and all but devoting half of an interview to it is a little excessive IMO.

-Straylight

Originally posted by Straylight
Man they wasted a lot of time talking about the faces. I mean that facial animation stuff is cool and all but devoting half of an interview to it is a little excessive IMO.

-Straylight

There is nothing else to talk about, I mean guy tried to ask about multiplayer, but devs were silent :\

But it would be nice if someone will ask Valve about clipping (sp?) problems, will they address them or not.

valved ray your a dumb ass....doom 3 is going to scare the shit out of all of us...i cant wait. Plus your a dumb **** and dont know anything...

i don't get scared by playing silly games. i wouldn't play it even if they paid me.

valved ray...you really are ****ing unbelieveable. I mean you actually make this forum look bad with your topics and comments....your ridiculous...take a hike buddy and post your shit somewhere else...if your into HL2 and games how could you not say oh well i wouldnt even play doom 3 if they paid me...crazy ****.

Back