HL2.net Arma 2 Ace 2 Information Videos

E3 Sneak Preview

Last part in the vid shows some new animation/posing features, where you can crouch at different levels to make the best use of firing/looking from behind cover.

Game looks fantastic. And the weapon firing looks, sounds, and, from what I can see, feels awesome.

This looks really great. The community alpha/beta thingy shouldn't be too long after E3 right? Thinking about upgrading in time for the release as I always seem to be a generation behind each iteration of Bohemia's engine.

Yeah I've been behind for OpFlash, Arma 1 and Arma 2, but this time I'm ready as ****.

Damn son. I mean... DAMN SON. Its like ARMA2 with a million levels of polish. I liked everything I saw, cant wait for the full demo from E3.

I'm curious, what has enticed you most about it?

I think DayZ has done a better job of getting people interested in the Arma series more than anything, because it has drawn people in with the whole zombie thing, and players inadvertently discover the beauty of arma games, which is the open and dynamic nature of it all. Not to mention it's a gigantic mod and user content platform.

But I'm assuming some arma 3 media impressed you, so can you tell me about it?

I love tactical games. I always have. Honestly, I would have gotten Arma 2 if it weren't for the fact that I had no one to play with. I used to play Project Reality for BF2 religiously, but it was missing something because I didn't have friends to play it with. Recently, I've been playing games with a group of guys I've met throughout my time at college and we've all expressed interest in Arma. They have Arma 2 and are playing Day Z, but I won't buy it because I'm too cheap.

However, Arma 3 changes all of that. It's a brand new, highly polished, awesome version of a phenomenal tactical game. All of the Arma 3 media has impressed me. So, once the game comes out, I've got a squad of 3-4 definites who can go and find a game. I can't wait. Watching that media has made me want to really get Arma 2 so I could play Day Z, but, again, I'm way too cheap haha

Some new screenshots that look freaking awesome.

This gun looks cool.
ncltE.jpg

Exploring the dark depths in your little submarine...
rfYSc.jpg

Dat muzzle flash
oEB7D.jpg

These things are awesome.
NJg0q.jpg

This tank is awesome.
FzkyN.jpg

This UAV is awesome.
IuTNW.jpg

qTwwF.jpg

And a fairly decent quality shakycam of the e3 demo.

The environment looks super detailed and realistic, I just want nothing more than to dive in and explore for hours.

Everything is so pretty! I think my favorite thing is the new night lighting.

'Yall can go and complete the mission while I gather intel from my submarine on the sea floor.

Anyone who has played ARMA for a long time has probably seen or heard of the ShackTac community before, but I saw this posted on PCGamer today, and thought it was worth linking here!

Obviously this kind of organised play isn't for everyone, but sometimes it's just nice to sit back and observe what other people do in the wonderful world of Sim gaming!

Viper and I played missions like that pretty often a few months ago with lots of players on UnitedOperations. It is a lot of fun to be part of a large structured operation, especially with ACRE.

You're out there with your squad, following your leader who is getting orders from command. Everyone in the squad might have a short range radio to communicate, or maybe just the fireteam leaders do. If you stray off without a radio, and get out of earshot, you could get lost. If the SL gets killed, one of the FT leads will take command and take his long range radio to stay in comms with command.

It's a lot of fun, and even the briefing before the mission can take like 20 minutes.

Where the hell is the grass in that video?

They're using the built-in Voice-Over-Net, aren't they? That's neat.

Last time I tried playing arma2 it was pretty much unplayable with bugs, particualy on the multilayer side of things. This was close to when the game was released and to be honest it's made me stay clear ever since. Constant disconnects, crashes, dropping from server all the time.

I'd like to hope its a lot better now but having such a bad experence with it on release I've not bothered. Has all this shittyness improved?

Of course it has. We do entire several-hour missions and entire gaming sessions without a single crash or server disconnect. The only thing that causes a server to go down is a bugged mission/mod or the rare case of the provider ****ing up.

BIS is uploading official hi-def walkthroughs of their E3 presentation demos.

Two are up so far, and they're really great. The night walk is especially cool, showing how great the new lighting engine is as well as some of the inventory/accessory system.

And I have to say I absolutely love the music they use in the Diving video. I want an mp3 of that shit.

Combined Ops (Arma 2 + Op Arrowhead, everything you need for most mods including Day Z) is 25% off at the moment. Comes in Steam and non-Steam versions. Pro-tip: get the non-Steam, it's easier in the long run to get mods working and stuff.

Just shared with Morgs one of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had.

We played Escape Chernarus, which is a very dynamic mission that spawns you in a random location in Chernarus, starting out with only the weapons of the guard you knock out who is in your prison cell. I've posted a video of a bunch of us playing the mission before.

We played it several times in a row, each 10-15 minute games because it's very easy to get killed. The mission does have revive, but if we both go down it's game over. Enemy patrols are everywhere and if they spot you they will call in vehicles or a helicopter if you don't take them out quickly. After some amazing moments, I decided I didn't want to miss any more of it so I started Fraps. And the very next try on that mission would turn out to be one of the most awesome sessions. We survived for over an hour in the incredibly dangerous environment. I lost count of how many times we escaped death by the skin of our teeth. There were moments that were on the level of something you'd see in an action movie. Arma is a very unforgiving game. You can go down with a single lucky shot. And in the case of this mission, an armored vehicle can turn up every 10 minutes, and blow you to bits. We had a string of incredible luck throughout the mission.

I have it all recorded, and I'll edit it up as soon as I can so everyone can see. It was seriously awesome.

From murder by motocross to plain old murder, it had it all.

'twas really fun though. As far as fun and engaging Arma experiences go it blew DayZ out of the water.

Watched the whole thing, looked pretty awesome. I'm on the fence about buying CA, but if it gets further discounted I'll probably get it.

We've been playing that mission over and over with our group of 3-5 people, and it is just a total blast every time. There are so many exciting dynamic situations that we find ourselves in, it's both exhilarating and sometimes hilarious.

Holy shit.

Also I didnt know ARMA2 tanks had turrets that could come off. Part of the mod?

Longer cookoff, showing the trajectory of the rounds this time. at 1:15 and 2:30 you can hear a preview of some awesome new boomy sounds.

Clearly the US Army stores batteries of pop rocks in their Bradleys.

Holy shit.

Also I didnt know ARMA2 tanks had turrets that could come off. Part of the mod?
They actually do in the unmodded game, I think. I've seen it happen when we play Escape Chernarus. Which you need to play with us.

Why are you so kind in the youtube comments Vegeta? Here's a screenshot of shitty quality to help you snap out of it.

trolos.jpg

I'm watching it right now and enjoying it, but there's one thing I have mixed feelings about - the enemies seem to have really crap aim (worse than in the regular ARMA II scenarios/campaign where they could hit you from really far away if you were in the open). Often you're running somewhere and you can hear someone shooting far away, but you don't really care, because you know they most likely won't hit you. I assume it is this way so as not to make the mission impossible?

I'm watching it right now and enjoying it, but there's one thing I have mixed feelings about - the enemies seem to have really crap aim (worse than in the regular ARMA II scenarios/campaign where they could hit you from really far away if you were in the open). Often you're running somewhere and you can hear someone shooting far away, but you don't really care, because you know they most likely won't hit you. I assume it is this way so as not to make the mission impossible?

We play Escape Chernarus on Cadet, which is the easiest difficulty iirc because otherwise we would die pretty much right away. Our excuse has always been "We'll increase the difficulty when we get better at Arma." On other difficulties those shots would indeed kill us right away.

We play the mission very differently than our usual modus operandi. While normally we are patient, methodical, etc., with this mission we let loose and like to just have mindless fun, because it really is entertaining that way. Despite not having a lot of the elements that I often tout about what make arma great and unique (the pacing, not being able to make stupid decisions) the game still is rewarding, but most of all it still has totally emergent gameplay. None of the great situations that we have in the mission could have been planned for; they just form naturally, and it's always different and fun. Every time we start the mission I wonder what's in store for us this time. It's a great example of the power of arma's sandbox play style.

Even on cadet difficulty the game is bloody merciless.

I think we could handle the next difficulty up. We don't need to be quite so careless most of the time.

So I just played the demo and got a question: Is it this buggy in the full version? God damn. I wanted to try it out and buy it for Day Z, and it's pretty much exactly like Operation Flashpoint, which is awesome. But OP Flashpoint was NOT this buggy. I mean jesus, it's completely unplayable. I hope this is just the demo that's bad, because I loved OPF and this looks just like it. If not for the bugs anyways.

Back