HL2.net Arma 2 Ace 2 Information Videos

Singleplayer is the buggiest shit in the world. Multiplayer, oddly, is much, much more stable.

Though bugs still happen in MP too...

Eh? I've played some of the SP scenarios and apart from some shenanigans like my spotter opening fire on a stealthy mission and generally wonky AI at times, I haven't encountered many apparent bugs.

So I just played the demo and got a question: Is it this buggy in the full version? God damn. I wanted to try it out and buy it for Day Z, and it's pretty much exactly like Operation Flashpoint, which is awesome. But OP Flashpoint was NOT this buggy. I mean jesus, it's completely unplayable. I hope this is just the demo that's bad, because I loved OPF and this looks just like it. If not for the bugs anyways.
The build in the demo and the current build are worlds apart. Bohemia have been patching the game this entire time.

So if I wanted to play the singleplayer missions/campaign, it would be worth a buy as the full version isn't shit?

Eh? I've played some of the SP scenarios and apart from some shenanigans like my spotter opening fire on a stealthy mission and generally wonky AI at times, I haven't encountered many apparent bugs.
Well, I havent played Single Player since I started playing MP with "the gang" so its probably been patched like crazy since then. I just remember never being able to get past the third mission, despite having restarted it like 15 times. I think I literally put about 25 hours into just that mission because I kept having to restart because of some random game-breaking bug.

Freaking cool video

First 6 minutes or so are mostly boring except for the ****ing snake slithering through the grass at 2:25-2:30
Just imagining one crawling up to me while I'm laying in the grass sniping is giving me the creeps. If they add tarantulas or something I'm gonna flip.

The environment looks pretty expansive in that video, and that's just the tiny (compared to Limnos) extra island, Stratis.

Jay says 80-90% of the buildings are enterable. As he drives through that town, things looks super detailed and awesome. That flood channel thing looks like it would be a great area for combat.

It was also mentioned that view distance and object draw distance will be able to be set individually. Very cool.

Can not wait for this game.

God, the vehicles look so much smoother to drive than in 2. Also driving through a town seems more like you're driving through a town and not just driving on a road next to some buildings. Know what I mean?

Yeah, the layout is much more organic and ...

dense.

Every scene is so dense, there are so many things going on at once.

Could you guys recommend me some good single-player campaigns/missions?I've been playing ARMA II lately and almost finished the official campaigns, so I'm looking for some quality user-made content that I'm sure is out there.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12793

Nice pack of missions here. They're based off of Operation Flashpoint missions, which were simple yet fun. Missions with simple premises/objectives make for the best fun.

Each mission has a different version for different factions to play as. If you don't have BAF or PMC then you probably don't want to play those versions or your stuff will be crappy looking.

Edit:

There is also this fun dynamic and on-the-fly customizable mission, available for several different islands:
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11138
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9581

Find more SP missions here: http://www.armaholic.com/list.php?c=arma2_oa_files_scenarios_spmissions&s=count&w=desc

Some missions might be on a custom island, or use other mods. They will be linked in the requirements section. Hit me up on steam if you need help installing those.

Just bought the CO pack and I'm looking for people to play DayZ with. Just add me on steam.

Bohemia Interactive devs arrested for "syping" in Greece

http://translate.google.com/transla...p://news.in.gr/greece/article/?aid=1231212511

Two Czechs, in whose possession were found videos and photos of military installations, were arrested Monday in Lemnos on charges of espionage.The same, however, claimed that they were collecting visual material to develop a ... video game.

In testing conducted by the Police Department Myrina, the suspicious material was found in the camcorder and camera two Czechs, aged 28 and 33 years, who then led the Misdemeanors Prosecutor Mytilene.

The defendants stated that they are working for the company Bohemia Interactive and collecting images which will enrich the video game «Arma 3», which takes place in Lemnos and Agios Efstratios.

Pretty stupid of them to go around photographing military sites and equipment without permission. They gotta be shitting their pants about now though.

So yeah, don't know if it was posted yet but the BIS devs are free on bail and things are moving along.

It was just announced that they're renaming the main island from Lemnos to Altis, since they want to separate it from its real-life counterpart.

Included in that post are these two screenshots, and while they may not look like much to most people, they excite me greatly for a few simple reasons.

1. The ****ing horizon/distant objects look so sexy in this shot. And you can go there. Not sure what it is, but it just looks very real in some way. I can't wait to roam those dangerous plains, using what scarce cover and concealment I can find.
HSbfJUx.jpg

2. Up close, everything looks sexy too. The blue shipping crate and warehouse really look incredible. I know, small details, but it all comes together. All the foliage is very cool too.
muK0HWn.jpg

I was just wondering what happened to those guys. Me and my cousin were talking about the game earlier today. God damn, 129 days imprisoned. Hope they get a nice bonus when the game comes out. I'm trying very hard not to get my hopes up for it being this year. I just know its going to get delayed as soon as I let myself believe.

I think why the first shot looks so good is they've changed the way view distance is handled. Instead of having objects stop being drawn at a certain distance, and then the terrain fading out after that, they have the objects fade out along with it. Maybe Arma 2 does that, I can't remember, but not as well as this.

Objects fade out before the terrain does in ARMA2. Thats how most games do it, simply to appease our paltry hardware. This is no doubt the next step in utilizing modern hardware.

The funniest part is that while he was trying to make fun of you... in any other context that phrase seemed like something that he actually would say.

ZING.

Man why is DayZ not on this engine instead?!

But yeah, gorgeous screenshots. If the previous videos are anything to go by this game looks so much smoother than 2. Hopefully it'll be that smooth when it reaches our PC's!

Would be valid if I didn't already say this:

It's still ludicrous.
The funniest part is that while he was trying to make fun of you... in any other context that phrase seemed like something that he actually would say.

ZING.

I've never said anything remotely like that, ever. Bark bark, woof.

It's still ludicrous.
Really? Explain. I think it's one of the things in that screenshot that look very realistic. How is that a ludicrous thing to say about a game I am very much looking forward to? I'm not trying to sell the game to people, and I'm certainly not using that as a reason anyone should be interested. It's something I thought worth pointing out. Your exaggeration of it, especially given how I explicitly pointed out that it was a small detail, is what is ludicrous.

A blue shipping container. It's not even something particularly enhanced by new-gen graphics such as a tree or undergrowth, but is a box. A blue one. Out of everything in those screenshots it's the least impressive or interesting of the small details.

I think you're just raining on Vegeta's parade because that's your thing.

A blue shipping container. It's not even something particularly enhanced by new-gen graphics such as a tree or undergrowth, but is a box. A blue one. Out of everything in those screenshots it's the least impressive or interesting of the small details.
Then I suppose that is your opinion, isn't it? Me, I think it looks pretty realistic. Why does it matter what technologies went into it? It looks like a realistic texture and probably some bumpmapping or whatever. Really doesn't matter, it stuck out to me.
I cannot believe how petty this is. You people are this bored?
He attacked me, and you know I don't take that shit laying down when it's about Arma.

When the game comes out, I'll be sure to post multiple high-res screenshots of that blue shipping crate.

I'm sorry. Can you explain to me what technologies handle the lighting on that box from that distance? I'm assuming the LOD at that level doesn't actually have polygons for the ridges.

Nope, too late Veg, he's gone. Off with his tail between his legs.

Its possible its just using Normal Mapping, but a fancy new engine like this probably is making good use of Parallax Occlusion Mapping. Normal mapping is basically a faster method of bump mapping, its precalculated with an RGB texture, while bump mapping is a post process, slower to calculate, using B&W heightmaps. They both affect the normals of the geometry to have the light shine on it differently accoring to the bump/normal map texture. Parallax Occlusion Mapping does essentially the same thing, however it goes a step further, and gives the illision of the texture overlapping itself. If you were to look at a texture from an extreme angle, say 160%, normal and bump mapping lose their effect and it becomes obvious that you're looking at a flat texture. Parallax makes it much harder to tell.

http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/356-arma3-steam-dev-blog
As we stand on the verge of revealing our plans for Arma 3, there is one big topic we'd like to get out there first. A long four months ago, I took over as Project Lead for Arma 3, having previously worked on the game as Lead Playable Content. As a team we were facing two quite serious situations: we were not happy with how the project was going, and on top of that two of our colleagues were suddenly arrested for alleged espionage in Greece. The first two months on the job were all about taking an inventory of the project and team, seeing what was going well, what was not, and coming up with plans to fix it all. The mission set by our CEO, Marek Španěl, was clear: do all we can to release Arma 3 in 2013.
One of the steps in this plan has been to select Valve's Steam as our primary platform. Not only is Arma 3 PC-exclusive, but now we have decided to make it Steam-exclusive as well. Since we expect this will upset some of our fans, I'd like to take the time to honestly explain our motivations.
The bottom-line: we feel that without going Steam-exclusive, we would not be able to release Arma 3 in 2013.

Not a big deal for most of us, but the hidden news is that it seems like they're really not anticipating any delay, which makes me happy.

I trust that they're going to be using Steam's features to make the game a lot more easy to manage mods and stuff than Arma 2 steam, and even regular Arma 2. It looks like we're finally done with modifying shortcut parameters!

There are a lot of whiners claiming to stop playing the game, even mod developers refusing to develop. Why the shit would loyal fans not trust BIS on this? How can they make such rash statements without even knowing what the game deployment will be like under Steam?

Oh well, doesn't matter. I'm glad things are on track for release this year and that they at least didn't choose a terrible platform/drm.

Saw this post on their facebook feed.
Guys - please don't use Steam - frankly it causes way more trouble that it is worth. I recently tried installing Colonial Marines from steam and it tried installing some drivers for my 8 core AMD and totally screwed my system. I can only see major problems ahead for Arma 3 if its a steam product - especially for modders and in getting fast patches and updates.
Hilarious. Steam doesn't do drivers for processors, and fast patches and updates are a million times easier with Steam when its the only method (as opposed to supporting patches for retail and steam versions), and a uniform method of installing mods (may use steam workshop?) would be a thousand times better for everyone including modders. Most Steam hate seems to come from completely oblivious people. Thankfully Bohemia is a team intelligent enough to ignore these idiots and not likely to be persuaded by their illogical arguments.

Back