HL2.net Minecraft Server Preservation Board

lord_raken

Tank
Reaction score
In light of the most regrettable and thoughtless defacement of the wonderful Lava Falls, I have started this thread as a way for HL2 netters to definitively set aside areas of the HL2.net Minecraft server world to preserve their unique nature.

I propose several designations:

Building density:
Urban: free and unrestricted build in densely developed areas The area around the spawn is a good example.

Rural: build what you want..., but don't crowd your neighbor and don't ruin their skyline unless they say its ok. (land mass north of spawn is a good example)

Wilderness: Well, its pretty much just you out there so you can lay claim to a large area and build what you want.

Protected areas:

Free land: Nothing special, build what you want. (good space for a new city)

Restricted build: Pretty land so we might want to set some standards for building in the area. (rural)

Protected: Stunning landscape. No building as a rule but exceptions can be made. Any building must be low impact, small, and generally approved by the other players.

Note: if the mods think its worth it, can we sticky this or create an equivalent thread?

If this thread takes off (like organizing/planning/zoning an area for a new city) I'll sticky it then.

Someone defaced the lava falls? What kind of c*nt would do that?

If this thread takes off (like organizing/planning/zoning an area for a new city) I'll sticky it then.

Someone defaced the lava falls? What kind of c*nt would do that?

Thanks.

As mad as I am about the falls I think it was probably an Ignorant C*nt who didn't know we had set that area aside. Co look at the current Cartograph map.... its ugly as hell!

I have another area in mind to preserve (it has a small lava falls and some floating islands)

do you know of a free MS pain style editor for Macs so I can post a pic with the area circled?

edit: oh, for macs. GIMP?

i wouldn't say the person who did it is ''ignorant'' as such - like i said in the other thread, naming the lava falls as anything special was like one or two posts talking about it, and like everything else in that thread, was probably lost to two or three more pages on top of those posts in the same night. someone just didn't see it, is all.

Well, it is easy enough to make your own lava falls... or time consuming, however nice you want to make them look.

I mean heck, I have like 7 or more of them. Unnatural, just as the magma god has commanded of me!

Yeah that's something to get upset about. It had been said many times that the lava falls was to be preserved...:flame::flame::flame:

I also think that the giant underground cavern is an area that should be preserved if it hasn't already been worked on.

In memory of natural Minecraft beauty
lavafall.jpg

Speaking of that giant underground cavern, I still haven't seen that place yet.

Yeah that's something to get upset about. It had been said many times that the lava falls was to be preserved...:flame::flame::flame:

I also think that the giant underground cavern is an area that should be preserved if it hasn't already been worked on.

Its up to us to make sure this doesn't happen again.
Someone who knows where it is should place a bunch of signs both around it and in it that tell people not to mess with it.

If you find a place worthy of protection post it here (with a map with the area highlighted would be best) Screen shots will help convince us to save that area. Then we place signs in game.

So uhh, did anyone bother to put up a sign by the lava falls or anything? Might have been an idea.

So uhh, did anyone bother to put up a sign by the lava falls or anything? Might have been an idea.

I thought someone had... :( .... but I guess not.

I think I'm going to go place a sign at that sight to voice my displeasure. I wonder who did it?

It was probably an HL2.net friend who didn't know.

Don't be too harsh on them.

It was probably an HL2.net friend who didn't know.

Don't be too harsh on them.

I don't wan't to be mean but I do wan't to communicate my disappointment. It is only a game and its not worth going into a rage over but it is a bummer that this happened. I just want out server community to be mindful that what they do on the server might affect the enjoyment of other members. i.e. defacing a unique feature in the game world.

The server will only be fun if we can all build together without ruining each-other's enjoyment. This thread is intended to facilitate communication about how we want to use certain areas so that events like this wont happen again.

Edit: Maybe we should just make a "Home Owners Association" or "server rules" thread where we set guidelines to keep the server enjoyable. There were could set aside preserves and voice complaints... There has been quite a lot of talk about people ruining the beaches.

Enough with this silliness, we have had an actual griefer on our server.

Is our whitelist working? Who is this "__Dickie__" guy? How much did he #$% up? Do we need to have minimum post counts & forum join dates?

~12:48am EST 10/28/2010
grieferdickie.jpg

yeah he must have destroyed the falls too, and i heard he has a really small penis

Hey,

Unless someone's done something drastic in the last couple of days then the stuff at lava falls is mine. I really wasn't aware that it was off-limits in terms of construction. There were a couple of signs out on another hill nearby but I didn't find these till after I'd started building and they didn't really say "no building". When I joined the server I was actually quite paranoid about screwing someone elses stuff up, so just walked for a while in one direction til there was nothing user-made in sight, came across lava falls and thought it looked cool (I've seen plenty of lava waterfalls in single player, didn't think it was that rare) so set to work.

I'm not trying to be arsey and say that I'm in the right because there were no obvious signs, I'm genuinely sorry that I've defaced something people liked quite so much.

They're not normally that rare, I run into them all the time on solo maps. Anyway, it seems as though you built around the falls instead of just plowing over them, so you obviously had the intention of keeping it around at least. In any case, it was kind of a neat feature, but I don't think it's worth getting up in arms over.

Unless someone's done something drastic in the last couple of days then the stuff at lava falls is mine.
Thank you for taking responsibility.

I think a failure to properly mark a "nature preserve" is the real issue. There's an area I marked off for a pirate cove earlier.... surrounded it with glass.... because I realized unless I made it obvious, someone would mine the hell out of it.

Hey,

Unless someone's done something drastic in the last couple of days then the stuff at lava falls is mine. I really wasn't aware that it was off-limits in terms of construction. There were a couple of signs out on another hill nearby but I didn't find these till after I'd started building and they didn't really say "no building". When I joined the server I was actually quite paranoid about screwing someone elses stuff up, so just walked for a while in one direction til there was nothing user-made in sight, came across lava falls and thought it looked cool (I've seen plenty of lava waterfalls in single player, didn't think it was that rare) so set to work.

I'm not trying to be arsey and say that I'm in the right because there were no obvious signs, I'm genuinely sorry that I've defaced something people liked quite so much.

I'm sorry too. I honestly don't think you are an arse, and My reaction was more out of frustration any actual anger. This appears to more of a communication issue than anything else.

Now that you already have a quite large building going up I'll agree that its yours now.

Just do us a favor and do something cool with it... like that acropolis this you made.

I marked it with a single stack of cobblestone (or dirt) to the top of the map, so that you guys could get to it. It's probably 3-5 mins from spawn.

Follow the coast northward away from spawn.

I can show anyone that wants to see it, the really impressive thing is the cave system underneath...

EDIT: I'm talking about the massive cave.

This seemed like the best place to post this, but maybe we could use a thread dedicated to requesting spots of land that are close to other people's places.

I want to build a foundry at this location that will be open for everyone to use.
factoryx.jpg

It will be open for everyone to use and is going to have rows upon rows of furnaces, and it's own dedicated tree farm for fueling them.

The location is great, close to spawn for easy access, and close by there is a marked entrance to the underwater city which will make travel there quick too.
I wanted to get the okay from everyone because in that same spot there were signs from 2 people who had chests/small projects there on the beach.

If that's where I think it is, just go ahead and build. That land has been "claimed" since a few days after the server went up, pretty sure the people who were going to build there aren't even playing any more.

below that beachhead is the sewer entrance that leads to my quarry project, so careful how far down you dig. right now it's not operational because water is ****ing retarded, but soon... maybe, it'll be a fully flowing sewer line for the quarry lake.

i have the tunnel entrance marked and like i say, it's underground so go right ahead on building above it.

Okay, I wasn't going to dig below the water line so that works for me. :)

Enough with this silliness, we have had an actual griefer on our server.

Is our whitelist working? Who is this "__Dickie__" guy? How much did he #$% up? Do we need to have minimum post counts & forum join dates?

~12:48am EST 10/28/2010
grieferdickie.jpg
Whoa.

Necrothread reminds me of how I miss playing Minecraft with you people. Not that I have time to build again ...

I miss alpha, I saw the current build of minecraft being played the other day and it was completely ridiculous. Night vision potions???

IMO it's way better. Way more options to play with all then new additions. More opportunities to build different machines and things, Brewing rooms, etc. I love that they're adding new content. Can't wait to see the game in a year.

And if there is an option you hate, you could just ignore it, not a big deal.

Tekkit mod is something really, really worth looking into if you guys haven't. The number of items in Minecraft goes up by a factor of ten, and it adds stuff like oil deposits and uranium.

Could never get into tekkit. It's too weird, it just doesn't seem like Minecraft to me.

Not saying it sucks or anything, just what I thought of it. I tried it and didn't know what half the shit was, what I was mining, was anything did, etc, etc.

Could never get into tekkit. It's too weird, it just doesn't seem like Minecraft to me.

Not saying it sucks or anything, just what I thought of it. I tried it and didn't know what half the shit was, what I was mining, was anything did, etc, etc.
Yeah man. When I tried Terraria I was like WTF, where's the crafting bench? And I couldn't make a pickaxe out of sticks and stone blocks. Gay game.

Mods shouldn't change the game in any way that I have to read anything or make any effort to find out how the new features work. In fact, there shouldn't be any new features, or else it doesn't feel like minecraft.

Yeah man. When I tried Terraria I was like WTF, where's the crafting bench? And I couldn't make a pickaxe out of sticks and stone blocks. Gay game.

Mods shouldn't change the game in any way that I have to read anything or make any effort to find out how the new features work. In fact, there shouldn't be any new features, or else it doesn't feel like minecraft.

I understand where he's coming from, Vegeta, especially considering the HL2.net MC server has been focused pretty much entirely on architecture. Tekkit is best-used for PvP servers and the like where rapid resource extraction and weapons development is paramount, although it does add some cool possibilities like adding features of modern cities (refineries, factories, etc.). It is a significant departure from the vanilla Minecraft.

I'm not talking about the server, and neither was he.

I don't see how a mod taking a game to a very different place is a reason to not like it. "It doesn't seem like minecraft" Well, shit it's a mod. That's the point.

And I was specifically making fun of the reasons he gave, being that he didn't understand what the new materials were or what to do with them. As if anyone knew what all the materials were and what to do with them when they first played minecraft, without being told or looking it up.

surely you must of felt the same way when you first played minecraft, though? i remember not knowing shit when i first played the game, hell it took me ages to figure stuff out. i logged in recently actually and i still don't know how to do some things.

edit: basically what veg said

To be honest, despite playing since 1.2.5 I'm still learning Minecraft. I open the wiki every now and then to see how to make something. I don't even know the full base game, yet!

I'm not talking about the server, and neither was he.

I don't see how a mod taking a game to a very different place is a reason to not like it. "It doesn't seem like minecraft" Well, shit it's a mod. That's the point.

And I was specifically making fun of the reasons he gave, being that he didn't understand what the new materials were or what to do with them. As if anyone knew what all the materials were and what to do with them when they first played minecraft, without being told or looking it up.

Uh oh, someone doesn't like something Vegeta likes, better flame the shit out of them!

Honestly who cares? I don't like modding Minecraft at all. It's personal preference. I just don't feel like learning an entire new system, especially one as intricate as tekkit. It's a cool mod and you can do some cool stuff, but it just isn't for me. No need to be a douchey prick about it.

I don't know when full serious mode was engaged. My post was poking fun at your reasons for not liking that mod, because I thought they were silly. I have no idea what the mod is and have never played it. Where did you get that notion?

I didn't say you had to like it. It's fine that you don't. And it's fine that you don't like mods in general. That's kind of the idea of my post. It's funny that you talk about that mod specifically when you apparently don't like any mods that change or add mechanics to the game. It's like a guy who hates racing games saying that he dislikes Dirt 3 because you have to go fast and beat your opponents to the finish.

I wasn't being a douche, honestly. I wanted to express the humor I found in your post, is all.

Does anyone have copies of the old HL2.net maps anywhere? I loved the shit you guys all created. Mine was shitty shit by comparison.

Back