Hl2 question

Reaction score
I was going to dig through the information from valve only thread to see if this has been answered... but there are..quite a few questions in there so I want to see if anyone knows this. Is valve going to give hl2 64-bit support ever? Also, will loast coast or after math have 64-bit support? Thanks

I was under the assumption that you needed a 64bit OS to utilize 64bit software.

yea u do need a 64bit os and i dont think u will c 64bit games intil next year but hl3 could possiblly be 64bit who knows

yeah... you need a 64-bit os to run 64-bit software.. whats your point? The question is will hl2 ever get 64-bit support?

I think theroadtonowhere knows he needs a 64-bit OS to run 64-bit applications and I assume he already has one.

I have no idea if HL2 and its expansions will ever get 64bit support. I think it would be a lot more work to do than to recompile the binaries, but I don't know. :p

What's the big deal anyway? It'll have a VERY negligible speed increase, it won't suddenly be 500% faster and smoother.

No... its not 500% faster, its about 2x faster, a very large speed increase, and the graphics can look much much nicer... its a very large speed increase, obviously you haven't seen the difference in a 64-bit game, and it IS a big deal to us who bought a 64-bit processor.

You bought Longhorn / Windows Vista?

How? :eek:

Or are there other 64bit OS's I'm not aware of?

Windows 64bit Edition? :p

Plus some of us would be Microsoft OS beta testers IF THEY'D SEND US THE RIGHT ****ING LANGUAGE. Peons :|

ComradeBadger said:
Windows 64bit Edition? :p

Plus some of us would be Microsoft OS beta testers IF THEY'D SEND US THE RIGHT ****ING LANGUAGE. Peons :|

Ah, true, forgot about 64E, but still...I heard it was buggy as hell :p

Windows XP has a 64-bit edition.

So does Windows Server 2003, if you can justify installing Steam on that.

And you also have the Linux variants.

theroadtonowhere said:
No... its not 500% faster, its about 2x faster, a very large speed increase, and the graphics can look much much nicer... its a very large speed increase, obviously you haven't seen the difference in a 64-bit game, and it IS a big deal to us who bought a 64-bit processor.
LOL. 2x faster!

Valve said they would release a 64bit version after a 64bit OS was released.

Far Cry is 64 bit compatible and it was released over a year ago.

Przemek said:
Some applications are indeed 2x times faster when optimized for 64-bit architecture:
http://pclab.pl/zdjecia/artykuly/wyrzykowski/amd_sempron3400/wykresy/121.png

The main reasoning behind that is they are applications. Which are mainly dependent on the CPU. Games are dependent on both the CPU and the graphics card.

Valve will release a 64 Bit version of Half-Life 2 later on, most likely once Windows 64 is no longer in Beta. Why would Valve rush to make a 64 Bit version of Half-Life 2 so they can deal with more problems with people running beta software? It would take them a while to determine if there was something wrong that Valve did or something that is wrong with Windows.

Not to disagree with a Mod, but Windows 64 is no longer in beta.

Asus said:
Valve said they would release a 64bit version after a 64bit OS was released.
Well 64bit OS has been released, and not a word from Valve about a 64bit version of Half-Life 2.

As of my opinion... No. There won't be a 64bit edition.

Back