hl2 screensaver

So what ?

• That sux! My screensaver pwnz that. (explain yourself)

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • cool.. I always wanted *G-Man* talking to me during my breaks

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Ahh.. that relaxing *Docks* scene is my favourite

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • I can't stop watching that girl in "Kleiner's Lab"

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
D

dafire

you can use the steam videos as screensaver.. just rename the .exe file to .scr and copy it to your windows directory..

you can choose it das screensaver then.

it's a bit annoying when you select it as screensaver it tries to show the file in the small preview thing but shows in full screen.. but if you escape you will get back to the settings box and then choose ok fast :)

ah.. and it's not perfect.. it only plays the video once.. perhaps i'll write a wrapper tomorrow so it shows the movie continously

have phun
dafire

I voted G-man because it will scare people in the room if i walk out.

Nice idea about renaming the vids. Il have to try it.

That is awesome. It would be even better if looped the video over and over. HL2 24/7 instead of a black screen:cool:

DAM this is HOT. but i don't know how to loop the vid mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:flame:

How? I try to rename it but i just cant...why?

:bounce:

Originally posted by Gorgon
DAM this is HOT. but i don't know how to loop the vid mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:flame:

I got it to loop! Its simple...

When you rename it to .scr does it have sound too ?

lol well i would do that but i never downloaded any of the videos, sounds like a gd idea though

Originally posted by skogum!
How? I try to rename it but i just cant...why?

:bounce:

You have to go to your folder options and click view known file extensions. In my computer go to tools -> folder options -> click the view tab -> Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types." Then just go to the exe and rename the file from whatever.exe to whatever.scr. Should work then but I still wanna know how to loop it.

To loop it you have to download RAD Video Tools. Then open the video exe file. Select Advanced Play. Then, check the box that says "Loop the playback" and leave the box next to it blank so it will be infinite. Then you can change whatever else you want here. Next, click "Make EXE". Give it a destination to save it as. After it compiles the EXE rename it to .scr and put it in windows directory.

That's all. Thanks for the tip though dafire. It's awesome having my screensaver be the Traptown vid :sniper:

problem

i did everything that you guys said to get mine to work with the loop but when it went to loop it said Bink Error:Error Opening File .... What do I do to get it to loop?

-merc

I have no clue beyond that. It worked fine for me. Maybe it's a particular video. Which video did you try?

Originally posted by dafire
you can use the steam videos as screensaver.. just rename the .exe file to .scr and copy it to your windows directory..

you can choose it das screensaver then.

it's a bit annoying when you select it as screensaver it tries to show the file in the small preview thing but shows in full screen.. but if you escape you will get back to the settings box and then choose ok fast :)

ah.. and it's not perfect.. it only plays the video once.. perhaps i'll write a wrapper tomorrow so it shows the movie continously

have phun
dafire
gj man

i got it working now... i love walking by my computer room and seeing traptown playing, that is the sweetest vid!

-merc

ok i changed it to a .SCR but when i go to screensaver setup, it is no where to be seen? i have it on my desktop ready as a .scr and everything. but how can i make it be a screensaver now?

Very simply. :) Just copy the file into c:\windows or whatever your windows directory happens to be. :naughty:

i done that....but still it doesn't show in the screensaver? i can't let it be a screensaver??

ok wat i did was open the binktools. tick the loop and save as .scr.

looks like a scr file now, but won't play as a screensaver

commando

can you get it to work without looping?

first, take the file hl2vid.exe and rename it to hl2vid.scr
then copy or move that file into C:\WINDOWS
it should now be selectable from your screen saver setup.

see if that works first.

Haha, well I got the loop working, and the screen saver, also NB:

I think the video plays back more smoothly if you choose the Direct Draw method, how does it work for you guys?

As cool as this is, I'll just revert back to my classic "blank screen." Hey, you can't get a safer saver, :p I'm allways paranoid that my comp will lock up the second I walk out the door, and I'll come back hours later to a ruined 19" monitor :( I could say after that screen saver, that black is back.

guys i done that and still it doesn't work??

ok give me a step by step plz.

the things i done was.

1) right clip on the binkvid and click rename. it was tunnel.exe and i renamed it, but it came out as.... tunnels.scr.exe?

i went to rad tools and changed it to a .scr.

then put it in c windows, and it didn't show up!?

help PLZ

Back