Holes?

ray_MAN

Tank
Reaction score
How do I put holes in objects? I tried to look for tutorials and I had no such luck. I am modelling a helmet and I need to put holes in it. I tried deleting a vertex and it looked all obscured. I also want to be able to put indentations in objects, like the cocker for a gun. Thanks for your help! Please keep the criticism constructive I am still learning. BTW I am using gmax. It is the only thing that will run on the office computers.

make a cylinder or object the shape of the hole u want to make. move it to the right spot on the helmet. select the helmet, on the right, under GEOMETRY, pick Compound Objects, and then select boolean.

now on the right, pick, subtraction A - B and then click on the, Pick Operand B button. Then click on the shape the u moved onto the helmet, ie, cylinder, sphere, etc and it should cut that shape out of the helmet.

Dude I am using gmax. There is no GEOMETRY. Do you know where I can find the trial for 3Ds Max 5? 3Ds Max 6 doesn't work on Win 98.

Make sure you take the time to inspect and clean up the mesh properly afterwards if you're going to use boolean. It can be a messy tool and requires a lot of clean up work to keep the mesh neat and tidy.

I can't use the boolean because i can't get 3Ds Max 6 to run on Win 98. If any of you can help me find the 3Ds Max 5 trial version, I would be grateful.

Gmax should have that functionality. As far as I know, Gmax is pretty much a standard version of the full 3DSMax minus rendering, more advanced functions, and a commercial license. I don't have it available to check at the moment, but you should probably take a better look.

there is geometry ( thats the tab for making boxes and cylinders ), and i think theres boolean. i just think you dont really know your way around GMax and whats called what. i used to use it but dont any more, so i might be wrong

under the geometry tab. above the buttons for making boxes etc, theres a pulldown menu, theres about 3 options, basic geometry, something else and then compound objects. click on compound objects and then boolean should be displayed under that, as would the button to make a box.

Oh sorry man. Thanks. I got confused. I was looking around in the modify and everything. Thank you so much guys.

You could always use the cut tool and cut the shape of the hole on both sides of the object. Then delete the polygons in the shape, then extrude the edges from one side and bring them to the other side.

The only problem with holes in a low poly, smooth model is that it really screws up the smoothing sometimes.

Everything is working great. The helmet is almost done and I am moving on. Thanks.

Back