Homeworld Returns

Lobster

The Freeman
Reaction score
A few months ago there was some discussion here surrounding the THQ fire sale, and what it meant for the Homeworld IP. Since then Gearbox has been revealed as the anonymous buyer, and while that could have been a little worrying on it's own, there does seem to be some light at the end of the tunnel...

Around that time we also heard about HARDWARE: Shipbreakers, a game being built by a team of ex-Homeworld developers under the name Blackbird Interactive. It seems Gearbox are going to allow Blackbird to use the name Homeworld, as well as offering money and development resources to turn HARDWARE into a complete Homeworld sequel.

It's unclear at the moment if HOMEWORLD: Shipbreakers is going to continue as a Free 2 Play title or become a full standalone game, but the wording of the article gives me a fleeting hope.

t0pc.jpg

Gearbox are also going to release Homeworld 1 and 2 digitally some time soon, which is fantastic news considering my Homeworld discs are scratched to hell!

I didn't think they were set in the same universe?

They were initially unable to use the Homeworld name and passed it off as a new universe, but the game was always intended to be a spiritual successor to Homeworld in terms of visual style and (presumably) game design. So now that they have rights to the name they are editing their story to fit into the Homeworld universe.

Nice star wars ripoff. Those speeders are a direct copy of the ones on Hoth

So Gearbox letting someone else do the work then hoping to reap the benefits? Now why does that sound familiar?

IDGAF about their policies here, Valve proved it works.

Homeworld HD plox.

Looks like generic sci-fi fantasy shit. not interested

I love Homeworld so much! I hope it will be something in that style and not planet based like the videos seemed, or boring like most free to play tend to be.

And no, Homeworld was not generic, it had a soul and it's own style.

Back