How about a Greg Coomer thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imho it would be a great idea to lock this thread already ;) The gods at Valve talk when they cba and they obviously aren't allowed to talk about the game content and if he answered personal questions he would get spammed with l33t stuff around "what's your favourite soda?!?!" Give the poor guy a break. :p

Hmm if you guys (valve) have time to post in fourms..... (sort of like "stating the obvious")

Sometimes, particularly in the final stages, people have free time because they have to wait for other things to be finished before they add stuff. So it doesn't necessarily mean the game is about to be completed any second, just that they are in those final stages: which could take a few weeks or months. Who knows.

Imho it would be a great idea to lock this thread already The gods at Valve talk when they cba and they obviously aren't allowed to talk about the game content and if he answered personal questions he would get spammed with l33t stuff around "what's your favourite soda?!?!" Give the poor guy a break.

If he feels like wading in, that's his choice. And if he feels like sitting back and chuckling at how crazy we all are, why deny him that opportunity by closing the thread early?

Some people in here should lighten up..."give the poor guy a break"..."cut back on the sillyness" ...1) Reading and posting isn't exactly a demanding activity. And besides, not like anyone can twist his arm to make him. This is a form of recreation for them, or anyone else for that matter.

2) I think it's safe to assume mr Coomer has a sense of humor, considering the posts he's made so far.

3) In fact, don't expect any serious replies. Burrito's and chips is what posting in threads seems to be all about.

4) I'm most interested in the "What else do I need to get where you are when I finish my education"-question. (Mine includes C/C++,Java,html,3DsMax,a bunch of boring business-management things, and then some) It would be interesting to know more about the ins and outs of the job itself.

Oh god poseyjmac, I can't even look at that avatar without being affraid I'm going to start having a seizure. :O

Anyway, this thread really doesn't need to be locked since if Greg decides he doesn't want to answer any questions then the thread will just die off on its own anyway. If people spam to much however its a different story.

seriously people. If greg wants to answer them he will. It's not like we are forcing him too. so foad.

hey greg, here's a question... dunno if it was answerd but its wirth to try.... Are you guy's almost finished with the playtesting??? you don't have to answer it if you don't wanna :E :cheers:

Sorry to ask a question that's a tad off tangent, but i'm curious. In the PC Gamer piece on HL2 it was commented that Valve would be working with the US millitary to create a training simulation. How is this going (IE is it going anywhere?) and what are the chances that we (the people) are gonna be able to get our hands on this? (In the manner of America's Army)

On the same note: What kinds of spin-off products are being created with the source tech?

Greg, you mentioned earlier that you had already played through the game and that you were going to do it again. Approximately how long would you say it took you to complete it the first time?

Booya

half life half life 2 WOooO hoo Half life 2. (dancin) Woohoo Half life 2 Any month now.
woohoo yaaaa

im so disillusioned by this all.

no one really knows when its out yet people flame eachother in getting their view across about information that MIGHT be true...

What are your feelings on the half-life 2 code theft?

Half-life has had great success in the game world have you guys been approached by any movie companys asking to produce a film? Or do you guys plan on approaching a company some time in the future? If yes, can i be an extra? :LOL:

WOOOOO

Sorry to disappoint you all but one person alone won't be able to answer all these questions...

anyway, if this is not true,

1. What features are planned to upgrade Source after the release of HL2?

Yeah, I have a question for Greg...

Where's the damn easter egg in the E3 2003 videos? I mean, we've looked and looked and haven't found it.

Give us a clue!

Yeah, I think we've suffered enough. We've guessed and guessed and guessed at what the easter egg is. And surely some of those guesses are right, but how can we know which ones until someone from Valve tells us. Can they at least tell us WHEN they will tell us? Is it something they are saving till after the release of the full game?

k Greg.. here's a serious one..

after the source leak word going round was that people could make very 'good' undetectable cheats and so on for the multiplayer games.. so:

1. Did you guys fix it up so the stolen source would have no effect on the ability to create cheats for upcoming games?

2. Does source actually make it even the slightest bit harder to create cheats?

bAbYhEaDcRaB said:
stop asking him so much ): it's like kicking a dead person

If he's already dead, then what's the harm in kicking?

There's nothing wrong with kicking a dead person, they're dead, what do they care. No, the main problem is that we're kicking a live person.

Real Question: What are your dreams for Valve as a company in the future? Where do you hope the industry is going to go? What sorts of games do you hope are going to be the wave of the future? Do you think gaming will ever overtake movies, seeing as before not too long games will look as good as movies, yet be playable?

I only have one burning question: GET BACK TO WORK!!!

wait.. that's not a question..

GET BACK TO WORK?

there. :)

edit: You too, Marc!

Wouldn't it be funny if there was no easter egg?
keep us busy searching, distracted.

I don't mind watching those videos again in fact. . . er searching for the easter eggs.
that's it.

Ok, this has been fun but the thread's a little out of control. After this round I'm going to quit answering stuff in here and get back to the more normal threads -- ones that don't have my name in the title. :)

The Mullinator asked: Is the playtesting about balancing and tweaking the levels, or is it about finding bugs?
At this point it's mostly about squashing bugs, but some balancing work is still happening. And we're testing lots of other things. For example, we've been reorganizing the weapons into different HUD "buckets" (numbered slots) this week, and we're playtesting different configurations. I think we're closing in on the final arrangement.

Murray_H asked: Price range for HL2 collectors edition?
Not sure yet. But this reminds me, I've got to do some work on the packaging for the retail collector's edition. Doug Lombardi and I have been looking into some different metal containers, but I'm really behind on nailing down the details.

Somebody asked: Will that beam-physgun from the 2003 techdemo be in the final game? Is it available to Modders?
No & probably not. But a Mod could build one fairly easily in Source.

Daegon asked: What's up with the Valve/US Military collaboration?
I haven't heard about that for a long time. Someone should ask Rick Ellis that question.

Tab asked: What are your feelings about the code theft?
I'm grateful for all the help Valve got from gamers in tracking down the people responsible. I was helping to field lots of mail that got sent in to the "helpvalve" address, and was talking with the authorities quite a bit during the whole investigation... so it's been really gratifying to finally see some results. There is no way the case would have gone very far without all the help we received from the community.

Six Three asked: When is "Akzidenz-Grotesk" being released?
I don't know. In the meantime, try this game.

Several people asked: What was the easter egg in the E3 2003 vids?
I don't have the heart (or the spine) to answer this question.

Cutey_Kaite asked: Greg, can you marry me?
A/S/L

jimbones asked: Get back to work?
Ok.

I was getting concerned about this one. I know I'd bloody hate it in Greg's shoes :p

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back