How often do you check/are on ValveTime.net?

Dog--

The Freeman
Reaction score
SORRY I MEAN VALVETIME OOPS.

Saw a status (forget who it was by) the other day about increasing traffic to this site. Made me think of the ol' days when there were a good amount of folks. Lots of activity, especially in the lounge. The forums seem dead these days, but I always see atleast 3 regulars online at all times.

It would be nice to try to get more traffic to this site somehow, but I don't think we can unless valve releases another Half-Life game (and we all know the regulars will be long dead by the time that happens).

If I have my web browser open, I have this site open in a tab and will frequently be checking it.

Several times a day, <ctrl+T>, V,<enter>
I just have it as a bookmark in my bookmark toolbar (firefox). Just click a button and I'm here!

I pretty much just go through a few forums, see whats on reddit, stumble, then click back here and do it over and over and over until I'm bored.

fBxx5.png

The top left corner of my screen looks like this most of the day unless I'm in another tab, watching a fullscreen video, or playing a game.

Haha, my bookmark bar is very similar, with Gmail first and then hl2.net. To just get the buttons do you just delete the text? I never thought about that, and always have text taking up space.

p1uVG.jpg

Bookmark bars are for scrubs, real nerds like me use Speed Dial for their homepage

Have fun opening a new tab just to go somewhere else.

Browser navigational habits argument COMMENCE

Yay for icon bookmarks!
ndvpl.png

VT.net is always open though, the bookmark is only there in case I close it by accident.

He's already compensated for that by moving his start bar to the left.

and then hl2.net.

The **** year are we in?

Also, the staff are very aware of how quiet the forums are these days. We're not quite sure what the problem is, but I guess encouraging newer members to take part is a good way to try and fix it.

Yes, Vegeta, I'm talking about you.

It will never stop being hl2.net
ho54O.jpg

And newbie hazing is a integral part of the hl2.net experience.

It will never stop being hl2.net

Welcome to February 2012.

And newbie hazing is a integral part of the hl2.net experience.

As long as you do it in a way that isn't aggressive or offensive, fine. Just make sure its obvious the person on the receiving end knows its a joke.

I used to check 10 times a day. As the forums have gotten progressively smaller I'm down to about once a day, as I can catch up with everything within 20-30 minutes.

As long as you do it in a way that isn't aggressive or offensive, fine. Just make sure its obvious the person on the receiving end knows its a joke.
Man thats some wussy crap. If we did that we'd still have Dragon Shirt, that other racist guy, and the guy who doesn't like our hire horses. People like Vegeta and I provide a necessary filter function for this site to keep the riff raff out. We did it with ZT and Morgs and they handled the heat and turned out to be pretty cool guys. In fact, I'd wager we turned them INTO cool guys.

often, though I don't understand why when this site is more dead than a taiwanese whore in my basement

valvetime is still a dumb name tho

If we had more Dota 2 news I'm sure we'd get more traffic. But we probably won't be exciting until HL3 is officially announced.

I have it open all the time.

But only ironically.

What I'm upset about is the people who were around for YEARS. Like the past 6-9 years and just disappeared. This place has become a staple in my life. I've been coming here since 2003 when I was a sophmore in highschool. I'm 25, job, kids, the works. I would be devastated if anything happened to this place. I just wish the oldtimers were still around. RIP Asus.

What I'm upset about is the people who were around for YEARS. Like the past 6-9 years and just disappeared. This place has become a staple in my life. I've been coming here since 2003 when I was a sophmore in highschool. I'm 25, job, kids, the works. I would be devastated if anything happened to this place. I just wish the oldtimers were still around. RIP Asus.

Do what you can to bring them back then. Email them, message them on Steam, whatever.

Do what you can to bring them back then. Email them, message them on Steam, whatever.

This is an impossibility. I wasn't email/steam friends with anyone from here. I just think it's crazy that so many people who spent hours...years...here...can just stop coming around. I went through phases where I wasn't into gaming and I didn't check the forums often if at all, but I always came back. I always checked in. It's borderline depressing to see what's gone on around here.

Don't take it so hard, brah. I don't think it's realistic to think that there won't be a changing of the guard periodically. Eight years is enough time for someone to change their interests quite a bit. Look at me, I went from perpetual Eagles Scream rating on Steam to averaging maybe an hour per week playtime. By the way, to the end of the question of this thread, I've been back here five times today already...

Took an unexpected leave, came back. I used to be on it all the time, but after the site change, not so much. Not that the hiatus was the result of the site change, it's just that the lack of communication from Valve was too much for me to endure. My breaking point, if you will. And hey look, I returned and now we have a picture of a guy wearing a Half-Life 3 shirt as the latest news. Yeah. Still, I've come to see this site not as a source of news, but as a place to chill with guys I don't know. <3

Posting Competitive Dota 2 news would certainly be a good idea to bring in new blood.

like a certain site I know *cough*TL*cough*

I probably click my VT bookmark daily, haven't really touched the forums.

Think I was in the Steam chat like 1 or two times...

Varies. Few times a day if I'm sitting around at home. Once every few days if I'm busy. Never takes long to catch up anyway.

Also am I the only one that like never uses bookmarks any more? I somehow got into the habit of just opening a new tab, typing the first couple letters of a site and doing Chrome's auto-suggest thing.

I actually use bookmarks because I open about 5 or 6 links at once when I get home, just middle click all the bookmarks on the bar.

If we had some HL3 news this place would be a lot more lively.

Have fun losing 16 pixels of vertical screen space B)
Hahaaaaa. What Krynn said!
But seriously, I've got a LOT of bookmarks in my bookmarks bar, way more than could ever fit in Speed Dial. And why would I want a flat grid of bookmarks anyway? Folders = organization. And being able to middle click folders is key. I also use the bookmarks bar to place some URLs that I may want to check on during a temporary period. Having a big old button for these in Speed Dial would just be silly. I do like Speed Dial though, it's better than chrome's default new tab page. And that's why you should use them both. They serve different purposes. I mean it's fine if you don't want a bookmarks bar, but speed dial is not a replacement.
Man thats some wussy crap. If we did that we'd still have Dragon Shirt, that other racist guy, and the guy who doesn't like our hire horses. People like Vegeta and I provide a necessary filter function for this site to keep the riff raff out. We did it with ZT and Morgs and they handled the heat and turned out to be pretty cool guys. In fact, I'd wager we turned them INTO cool guys.
This, this this! We totally made them into cool guys. I mean look at Milly / dabomb29 / arch5 He's still in the process, after 3 years, but we diligently continue to work on him.

Pwner513 doesn't stand a chance though. Omnomnick, you look at him and tell me you want him on the forums.
Edit: I mean, I do want him on the forums, but for my own entertainment.

I really don't check in very often. Once every 2 or 3 days really. My alliance's forums for Eve Online are significantly more active. Site needs more DOTA2.

Also am I the only one that like never uses bookmarks any more? I somehow got into the habit of just opening a new tab, typing the first couple letters of a site and doing Chrome's auto-suggest thing.
I do that for less frequented sites, but ones I still go to fairly often. Like when I go to youtube, I just type "y" and hit enter. But for frequent stuff, I just click on the bookmarks I'm going to be using and open them one after another in new tabs.

Back