How Portal 2 works on the PS3

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
Gamerzines (I've never heard of them either) have published an interview with Valve's Jeep Barnett about Portal 2 on the PS3.

The basic system is:
  • Each PS3 copy of Portal 2 comes with a CD key in the box.
  • You can use this key to link your PSN account to your Steam account or to create a new Steam account if you don't have one.
  • Doing this gets you the free PC copy.
  • You must link a key to a Steam account to use Steamworks features including cross-platform play.
  • You can play without linking to a Steam account and still play co-op over PSN.

We were talking earlier about being able to buy the game for PS3 and have a linked version for PC and Mac as well. Well, we'd love to go the other way with it. Say you buy it on PC and then you have a downloadable version for PS3. That would be beautiful and is something that I would personally like to see next. But there are a lot of other things too. Right now you're able to chat with your Steam friends while you're playing Portal 2, but there's currently no way to do that outside of the Portal 2 game. I'd like to see even more Steam features that are linked within the PS3/PSN interface itself. But, again some of this stuff is up to the platform holders and what they'll let us do. We'll just keep negotiating and finding out what's basically a big win for the customers and what drives people to enjoy all these different features.

He also talks about why they're advertising the co-op more than SP and Valve's experiments with competative modes. Full thing here.

Aw crap, I thought the PS3 version came with an extra copy of Portal 2 for the PC. I was planning on getting my sister's key when she buys it for PS3. But I guess then we wouldn't be able to play at the same time since it's just one key.

Thats lame that that you can't just buy the pc version, and log in to a ps3 version of steam and play portal on there. Hopefully thats where we're headed, since it sounds like thats what Valve wants at least.

JB: I feel that we absolutely could do another game on the platforms that exist as they do now, not just with Portal but in terms of other games that Valve is developing. I don't think that's something that would prevent us from making a game. We wouldn't say we're not going to ship this until the next generation comes out......

GZ: Is that other game you mentioned Dota 2?
JB: Dota 2 is PC only as far as I know, but don't take my word for it.
GZ: So you've got another 360/PS3 project in the works that isn't Dota 2?
JB: Er.. we've got other stuff coming.
GZ: Gabe said recently that Dota 2 would be the next game released by Valve after Portal 2. That's due at the end of 2011. Does that mean that we won't see Half-Life 2: Episode 3 until 2012 at the earliest?
JB: I agree with Gabe, I think that Dota 2 is probably going to be our next game. We don't necessarily line things up in terms of, until this ships we cannot ship something else. Sometimes some things will cross paths.

Yeah, nice one. Was that a hint? I wish somebody flashed a wink ;)

Aw crap, I thought the PS3 version came with an extra copy of Portal 2 for the PC. I was planning on getting my sister's key when she buys it for PS3. But I guess then we wouldn't be able to play at the same time since it's just one key.

A key isn't necessary to play on the PS3, unless you want all the Steam stuff.

A key isn't necessary to play on the PS3, unless you want all the Steam stuff.

I think he was saying he wanted to cross-play with his sister, which would require both of them to have two seperate steam accounts with attached keys

I'm confused, I asked a game store over here and they said they know nothing of the PS3 version of Portal 2 netting you the PC version for free, hence why I cancelled my PS3 pre-order yesterday when I asked'em and pre-ordered the retail PC version.

I'm confused, I asked a game store over here and they said they know nothing of the PS3 version of Portal 2 netting you the PC version for free, hence why I cancelled my PS3 pre-order yesterday when I asked'em and pre-ordered the retail PC version.
What's confusing? The staff at the store just weren't informed.

Unless I am missing something, sadly a PC key doesn't let you get Portal 2 on the PS3 as a download =[ That would be awesome :D

Back