How to make HL2 MP better.

I

iluyshin

Ok some people like DM, lots of running about at stupid speeds blasting everything in sight, fair enough.

But i am not one of them and here are my ideas to improve hl2 mp a lot.

These ideas are for TDM and i hope an objective type game play mode.

New game play modes:

Add an objective based game play, like the rebels have to blow something up or rescue a hostage. (You could have it like on the level nova prospect you must break out a scientist from a part of the prison. On another level you must blow up a generator to shut off a force field or something along those lines. I feel when you have an objective to achieve it makes team games so much more fun and far more intense.
You could have multiple objectives like:

1.) Blow up or shutdown the force field blocking area XXXX
2.) After gaining access to area XXXX blow this up or rescue this person etc.

In game changes:

First of all slow the game down and remove sprint, It is way to fast at the moment and makes the game just look silly and plays awful, Slow it down to the same pace as hl2 SP or say CS and it would make team play part of the game so much better, TDM is about team work but you can do almost none at moment as its so fast and random spawning.

Remove Gravity GUN from objective if it ever happens. I am all for picking stuff and a throwing it at people but on the whole it slows down the game greatly. And wouldn’t work well in objective mode.

In TDM make it so the combine all spawn at one area and rebels at another, It would make the game feel so much better to be fighting side by side with another rebel or combine and moving together and having them awesome fire fights.

I am sure many people will agree it would make the game so much more fun to move with a unit of your side than on your own.

Limit models for maps, ok some people will disagree a lot but i would prefer if you had a map like Nova prospect and that all combine players have the same uniform, I feel it would just add a extra layer of coolness to the game and add another level of team feeling to it. It will make people feel they are battling in Nova prospect not just a load of random combine’s troops with many uniforms.

Class selections.

I am personally not sure about this but it could be a good idea. Have a class selection screen or weapon combinations screen where you can select say 1 main gun a 2nd gun or say a manhack or rollermine or sentry gun depending on what side you are on, Just an idea.

The maps are fine for DM just big circles but for TDM and Objective mode they need more shape to them, Take a look at call of duty maps like dawnville, great design for a map there.

Maybe for TDM once you die that’s it you must wait for the round to end but i think that is best suited for an objective type game play.

These are my ideas, I know some people will flame. Go ahead.

What do you think?

:)

How about an objective game where the rebels have to shutdown generators (the orbs within which then become weapons)? Could have only one with a gravgun, who'd have to be protected...

Oh the possibilities :D

I like the ideas, and have thought of similar ones myself. We just have to hope they add these. If they did, it would be an extra bonus on the already great DM i love atm.

Thats an very intresting idea, Maybe first you have to break into a weapon storage and get the gun.

But something along those lines would be great. Ideas are endless for the game. :bounce:

Or how about each side has several generators that power forcefields that bar access to the side in question's home base?

There could be some of those energy ball producers you see inside the citadel in the middle of the map, which provide A: ammo for the gravgun and B: power for the generators.

First team to completely shield its base wins the round...

I got a name for it right now!
How about Counter Strike? heh? you like that dont you?

Well if it was anything like counter-strike i would be so happy compared to the dir MP hl2 has now.

All im saying is that this reminds me too much of CS, perhaps you could explain the difference?

PooSlice said:
All im saying is that this reminds me too much of CS, perhaps you could explain the difference?
If you think the ideas posted here are too much like Counter-Strike then I don't think there are any FPS DM games that have ever been created that won't sound too much like Counter-Strike to you.

Well lets see:

Call of duty : has guns, same models, objectives
Medal of honor : same
Return to Castle Wolfenstein : same
Return to Castle Wolfenstein ET : same
Ghost recon type games : same
Tribes 1 and 2 : Same
bf1942 : same

You see the pattern here?

All these games use that style of gameplay, why?

because it is the best style of gameplay and great fun to have that objective style gameplay.

In SP fire fights and the game play for the last few levels with your squad was great fun, haveing them firefights inside the buildings with the combine and fighting on the streets taking out overwatch gates and check points etc.

Then why change it in MP so much? Why take away that great gameplay in SP from the MP!

CS is the the biggest game online play out of any fps by miles, Why? one reason is the teamplay aspect.

No i don't think hl2 MP should be exactly like cs at all but it would be good to take some of the best elements from the game and use them in HL2 mp.

Please, tribes 1m 2, bf1942 and ghost recon do not have theese things.

I'd love a resistance vs combine, class based, complete the objective shooter in the vien of RTCW :)

Add some vehicles and some cool stuff to do with the manipulator and it'd be sweet :)

yes they do.

As for ghost recon i said type games as there so many like raven shield etc. But they do have same models and weapons lol and objective play.

bf1942: You must capture outposts to win the map, Sounds like objectives to me.

tribes 2:

Siege
One team starts the match on offense while the other starts defending the objective. When the offensive team meets its mission objective, the mission starts again with the sides reversed; the former defenders go on the offensive and the former offense defend the objective.

All these games have the idea of teamplay behind it, Keep same sort of models all spawn same place to obtain some sort of goal as a team.

You could even add dropships and gunships with some clever bit of programing. Tho i dunno that would work on the maps :D

Look at Cod: UO that has massive maps and tanks and if so much fun! because it kept the gameplay style from SP.

Seeing as VALVe did such an amazing job with urban warfare, I'm all for teamplay/objective games between Combine and Rebels. Shutting off power generators would be cool, maybe once the first objective have been accomplished there could be a strider as a boss of the resistance team. Just an idea. Bigger maps would be awesome, I've had great fun building barricades in dm_overwatch with the tables and cars n stuff.

In response to most suggestions:

No, go away. This is HL2DM, not some shitty UT ripoff. If you want that kind of thing, go make it yourself or play one of those games.

HL2 is it's own game, sorry. DeathMatch is here, and it's going to be king, dammit

:D

TDM should be the only modification :)

Add a few buggys to the game, and I'm all like "Yay!". Airboats would be cool too.

Yah, let's add some vehicles so we all have 900 ping. :D

By the way, CS:S has physics... all HL2DM is let you chuck it, so there shouldn't be a buttload more of calculations, so if its slow it's YOU or the SERVER. Because CS:S can be laggy too, just like every other game.

ComradeBadger said:

No, go away. This is HL2DM, not some shitty UT ripoff. If you want that kind of thing, go make it yourself or play one of those games.

HL2 is it's own game, sorry. DeathMatch is here, and it's going to be king, dammit

Erm... Badgey, dude? I'm pretty sure I was just playing TDM... already part of the game. No modification needed :E.

ComradeBadger said:

HL2 is its own game but the why is the MP so bad? It won't be king of nothing.

HL2 is meant to be about nice smooth gameplay which is fun, plus with adding the team element its about teamwork as well.

If you like DM then fine, But most people would prefer something a bit Substantial and team based as they are the best sort of games.

At the moment the DM is mindless boring and requiring little skill it has no feeling to it what so ever, it doesn't even feel like anything to do with HL2.

It's an empty poor conversion of some single player maps.

And i no way would i like HL2 to be anything like UT. Thats why i did not mention it.

As for the physics CS:S has some small amount of physics in it like a can or barrel but none of the picking up of stuff flying across the maps which is most likely to cause lagg. Personally i do not have any lag i have fast connection and great PC but in OBJECTIVE Mode it would not work so well.

I just hope they change tdm and had a decent objective mode.

They can leave DM, it will just decrease in size.

First of all I don't have HL2 yet but I will be getting it sooner now that HL2DM is out.

Have to agree with Comradebadger here, although I've not played it yet I have spent years playing hldm to a high level in a top clan so I think I can comment on this to a certain degree.

HLDM is about having fast paced fun, even with teams its still faced paced. Leaping around not sitting in an airvent for hours. The objective is to frag frag frag be it in a team or on your own, it's about having a laff and not following orders. Sure, with teamplay theres some coordination but essentially it's about having fun.

Again I haven't played it yet but I'm sure any initial problems will be sorted in time. There are other games that cater for the more strategically minded eg CS and TF

I can see why people like DM but it the fact is the biggest and best FPS online games use teamplay and onjective elements. Working as close team and clans finding tactics etc is such a great rush in game and makes the experiance that much more.

And half-life 2 is a game which could be one of the best and biggest if it was done right, I am sorry to say that DM clans will never reach the level of clans which play CS and games such as that they simply don't get that big a following.

And remmber DM and TDM are different, I am not saying scrap DM but TDM and add an objective mode with the changes i have stated.

Large outdoor areas from where you can have spectacular vehicular warfare. At most each side should have special weapons only available for their side.

Combine can release manhacks

Rebels have the gravity gun

however, to make the game more balanced only 1 out of 4 players on each side can have these special anttributes

SubKamran said:
Yah, let's add some vehicles so we all have 900 ping. :D

By the way, CS:S has physics... all HL2DM is let you chuck it, so there shouldn't be a buttload more of calculations, so if its slow it's YOU or the SERVER. Because CS:S can be laggy too, just like every other game.

I didn't like physics items like tables and cupboards in CS:S, when I pushed into them, they would push me back. And you know what that means :x

In my opinion the objective for DM or TDM mode should always be to score more than the opponent. I like playing games with objectives too and often played CS to improve some elements of my HLDM play but the games are different in essence. Sure add an objectives mode to TDM but would that really be DeathMatch? In the end it doesn't really matter I guess

iluyshin said:
I can see why people like DM but it the fact is the biggest and best FPS online games use teamplay and onjective elements. Working as close team and clans finding tactics etc is such a great rush in game and makes the experiance that much more.

And half-life 2 is a game which could be one of the best and biggest if it was done right, I am sorry to say that DM clans will never reach the level of clans which play CS and games such as that they simply don't get that big a following.

And remmber DM and TDM are different, I am not saying scrap DM but TDM and add an objective mode with the changes i have stated.

Deathmatch is all about running around madly shooting anything that moves!
If you don't like it, then just don't play it and wait for some objective based mods to come out. And in the meantime stop your pointless bleating that DM should be something other than what it actually is.

This used to be a half decent board, but the intelligence levels seem to have really plummeted recently.

Beanhacker said:
Deathmatch is all about running around madly shooting anything that moves!
If you don't like it, then just don't play it and wait for some objective based mods to come out. And in the meantime stop your pointless bleating that DM should be something other than what it actually is.

This used to be a half decent board, but the intelligence levels seem to have really plummeted recently.

Did you read what i wrote in my first post? guess not.

I said leave DM Alone, keep it how it is for people who like it but many would like to have a decent TDM and OBJ mode in the game with my ideas.

You forgot my thread title is about the MP, DM is a type of MP in hl2.

If you can not tell the too apart you should shut down your PC now and not come back till you have learnt a thing or 2 about gaming.

Please do not waste my time with you stupid uninformed Unintelligent comments.

ty

iluyshin said:
Did you read what i wrote in my first post? guess not.

You're right, I didn't - but it got so boring after the first couple of sentences, could you blame me?

iluyshin said:
I said leave DM Alone, keep it how it is for people who like it but many would like to have a decent TDM and OBJ mode in the game with my ideas.

I don't think you can really call them 'your ideas' as the things you're mentioning are pretty much de-rigeuer in most teamplay orientated mods and commercial releases. Having teams of players spawn in one location is hardly a masterstroke of originality.

iluyshin said:

I did nothing of the kind.

iluyshin said:
If you can not tell the too apart you should shut down your PC now and not come back tell you have learnt a thing or 2.

see above. OH i can't seem to shut down my computer wtfomg!!1 please coome to my house to help me.

p.s. it's spelt 'two' when used in the context of numbers.

iluyshin said:
please do not waste my time with you stupid uninformed comments.

ty

Well you wasted mine sir, so I think it's only fitting that i waste some of yours.

p.s. can you code? map? model? do art? If not then all your fantastic and original gameplay concepts will probably never see the light of day. pity.

Hey, what's with all the flaming? He's not dissing DM. He just doesn't like it as much as others. (like me, lol)

Hell, I'd love to have both DM and objective-based teamplay. I'd love to see as much variety of game modes as Halo 2. DM gets boring after a while for most people. (So does objective-based teamplay, too.)

Personally, I love the whole base defense idea. That would be tons of fun.

No, it would be nothing like CS, if nothing else is changed. (Keep sprint in for that game mode. Make things more fun.)

Well from the laggy piece of crap that is the current Hl2 death match we can all see why CS:S was the games multi player...

"Team" death match... thats funny, the only team thing about it is that you waste your ammo on some guy you cant kill, theres NO team spawns, theres no objectives or bases, theres not even anything you can gain from sticking around with your team because grenades rpg's and flying sinks will take you all out...

Lets move on the size of the maps (i use the word "maps" grudgingly becuase there is infact only 2).... why was it that when i was playing BF1942 non stop years back that people kept on flaming it saying HL2 could have maps that size and more detailed....

if the game lags on a 3mb line with just 12 people in a map thats no bigger than even the smallest possible map from BF1942 then i cant see how anything is going to change that before spring 2005 when BF2 comes out.

Im not trying to be a fan boy here but seriously.... there is no point in playing death match at the moment becuase its horrible in every department apart from the graphics.

DM is DM... :)

I'm all for an objective based gametype in the HL2 universe, but I see this DM as a small, free mod to showcase how easy it is to do something with MP.

I had a lot of fun with DM in HL1, and I think I can have just as much fun now.

My suggestion is that they keep the current DM and TDM modes, but perhaps add some objective maps later. No need to take away pure DM from those who wants it, but a few other maps would be great as well.

I do agree HL2 DM seems a bit too chaotic right now, and it is unbalanced. Why in gods name does everyone start out with the SMG?!? It just gets annoying after a while when everyone just spams with the SMG all over the place, make it a bit more powerful and let people earn it instead. I'm sure some more maps will be released later as well, perhaps even crossfire2... :p

To sum it up: Remove sprint, remove SMG from the start setup, and finally, try to make some objective based maps for variety... :)

And add a remake of crossfire!

For starters, i don't like CS

not my cup of tea

My idea for a team based game would be to slow things down, have some defensive emplacements, create some classes, structure the maps as some sort of push scenario like Defend and Attack, or destroy each other's "X" where X is some mission critical thingy.

Have the Combine get the stuff that they usually have in singleplayer, the weapons, the apc and the heli (as pilotable vehicles), the strider and gunship as spawned npcs (i'm guessing when the combine reach a certain objective they can call one in.

The resistance would get more improvised stuff like the scout car or airboat (if there is water or mud in the map) They'd get the rocket launcher (slow down the speed of the rocket a bit) the manipulator, the crossbow, and some standard weapons. To even out the fact that combine get more vehicles, resistance could call in a squad of Vortigaunts and/or D.O.G. support

The vehicles would be toned down so that stuff other than the rocket launcher could conceivably hurt them, but only if its believable, and it won't take 10 rockets or more to down a strider, more like 3

I'd also make some sort of standard accuracy system for jumping/running/walking/standing/crouching so that people just dont run all over the goddamn place spraying like there's no tomorrow.

As far as the npcs go, whoever managed to reach whatever requirements are made to be able to summon npc reinforcement orders them around like you would order squadmates in singleplayer.

but as it stands rightnow deathmatch is fun fun silly willy

Thanks bean for proving you are an idiot, saves me the work :)

Yes i can map thank you very much.

Originally Posted by iluyshin

I did nothing of the kind.

Yes you did as your first post refers to mine thread about changing DM which i have not mentioned in this thread.

"I don't think you can really call them 'your ideas' as the things you're mentioning are pretty much de-rigeuer in most teamplay orientated mods and commercial releases. Having teams of players spawn in one location is hardly a masterstroke of originality."

I never claimed they are orignal, they are just ideas.

But then again DM is not orignal either.

Bean you just proved that your first post was worthless waste of yours and my time.

I am sorry you can't read my first post i know it takes slighty more mental Capacity than that of what you seem to own.

The simple fact is i am right and you are wrong.

TO everyone i never said remove DM or change it.

O and about spelling mistake its a forum no one cares.

true dougy, I have seen on many forums DM fans complaining.

It well be patched in time, but maybe they should have waited a while before releasing such a buggy mp.

Back