I am Legend! TRAILER!

The movie was very good, but very very sad. I like that.

My girlfriend, and most of the people around me, did not.

I agree the ending sucked, and there was way too much CGI. Also, wtf was up with the mannequin trap?

I just got back from the Irvine Spectrum from viewing I Am Legend in the IMAX screening and I love this movie!

My take on the mannequin trap is that Neville set a trap there before, but the infected took the mannequin and placed it there, Neville forgetting he placed a trap in that puddle before, fell for his own trap.

Whoa. I also just got back from Irvine Spectrum, and the Imax, great movie, but hardly parallels the book at all. Still, it was awsome but the ending was kinda weak.

Everyone tells me thats its mutants instead of zombies.

I haven't seen it yet but whats so horrible about the ending? Did they change what originally is supposed to happen or what?

Because you know in the book
He dies

I haven't seen it yet but whats so horrible about the ending? Did they change what originally is supposed to happen or what?

He dies

Yes, but this ending is just stupid. It has some stupid metaphysical references, too many special effects, and in general doesn't make any sense.

After just having watched 28 days later for the first time, I really would have preferred that the zombies in I Am Legend were real actors instead of CGI monsters. It would have made it so much more believable and so much more gruesome. Imagine I Am Legend without the super-human zombies and instead real human beings like in 28 days later. That would be amazing!

Yes, but this ending is just stupid. It has some stupid metaphysical references, too many special effects, and in general doesn't make any sense.

After just having watched 28 days later for the first time, I really would have preferred that the zombies in I Am Legend were real actors instead of CGI monsters. It would have made it so much more believable and so much more gruesome. Imagine I Am Legend without the super-human zombies and instead real human beings like in 28 days later. That would be amazing!

But then it would be too similar to 28 days later.

He dies
They're supposed to be vampires. But instead they're crappy CG mutants that have an aversion to sunlight.

That still happens in the end, but the context is different. Very different. Retardedly different. And then they go beyond that and it gets even worse.

It may seem I'm just spewing vitriol about this movie's ending, but they seriously had a shot to make an amazing "last man on earth" epic and they blew it in favor of a "Hollywood ending" that has no place in a movie named after such a classic book. Sure, changes were necessary to modernize it, but completely destroying the ending for the book in favor of a pice of crap (which was reshot not long before release) is utterly disgraceful.

Also, references to God were entirely unnecessary.

So I finally saw it, and yeah what the hell with the last 30 minutes. The ending just...UGH. The end of the book is what makes it so badass D: and they just ruined it.

Just saw it today and was pleasantly surprised. And hey... the super gollums were cool so shut up!

I liked the first half, it was like cast-away, everything post-dog was a bit meh

I enjoyed the movie, felt it was quite parallel with Last Man on Earth starring Price, but after the dog, they just went off and did their own Hollywood thing...

Couple questions...

1. How is it he is pumping usable gas 3 years after they were topped off...my car died for a month with a tank of gas and ran like crap after we got it going again until we put in fresh gas.

2. If they military blew up all the bridges, how did those two get to him and then to the colony?

this sounds just like those other zombie films, like 28 Days Later etc.

The movie is really well done, I give a 6.5 out of ten. Just a couple of things that bother me:

-The third act is the fall of the movie. The deus deus ex machina with the two survivors saving his life just doesn't feat.

-Too much cgi, even though they shot an empty New York, it looked way to CGI.

- The religious conotation, "God send me" that kind of killed the movie, I just hate religious messages in movies. Maybe because I'm French and we just don't like that kind of bull shit here. (Evrery French reviewer critized the same thing, funny that I haven't yet read a review talking about this in the states.)

-The zombies looked like crap! They looked strait out of the "house of the dead" arcade game.

-To much in-mobie publicity : Apple, Ford, Mcdonalds, Batman etc etc

Still, Smith was incredible in the movie, I wouldn't be surprised if he was nominated for an oscar. Also there was a lot of details in the movies that the viewer had to catch : like the butterfly effect conotation at the end.

********SPOILERS************

Also there was a lot of details in the movies that the viewer had to catch : like the butterfly effect conotation at the end.

I didn't see that so much as the butterfly effect as much as I saw it being "a sign from God".

Will Smith took the hint and for some reason blew himself up despite being able to throw the grenade into the opposing end of the room, taking cover, and living to see the cure is brought to humanity.

Saw it last night. I thought it was fantastic. It was a very nice breath of fresh air from regular action movies, with a lot of silence and solitude. Only tiny thing is that I thought some of the humor felt out of place. Smith was incredible in it as usual though.

I totally agree with you...some parts were funny, though they almost seemed forced into the scene, capitalizing on the ongoing popularity of Fresh Prince...but yeah, a great action flick that didnt involve the character constantly on the offense shooting everything he could...

Well I enjoyed it. I didn't read the book and I thought the ending was fine... not the usual Hollywood shite whereby everyone survives / happy ending like we see in the modern day version of 'The Invasion'... Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a much better film because the 'doomed' ending is left intact.

I agree the religious aspect of the film was a bit wierd tho.

One question: When Neville goes into that dark room following the deer / sam, why does he keep covering the light? Yes the demons/vapires/whatever don't like light, but with it covered he can't see shit, so why??

Probably so they dont see it and go after him...they are only hurt by UV light, and the flashlight was a regular incandescant, so it would've done nothing but alert them of his presence...looked like he only had the one 30rd mag on him, so he probably didnt want to take on an army of em when each one takes 3-4 bullets to go down...

Hmm, guess so. Pretty tense scene though. Probably the best scene in the movie in that regard. Still, kinda bugged me that he passed out when he got caught in the trap.

****ing loved the part where he's in the dark house and he sees them all just standing there breathing. ****ing great scene.

Also is it just me or when he sees that mannequin for the second time, its head moves? I swear I saw that.

When he saw Fred out in the middle of the street at first I was certain it was one of the monsters, who had donned clothing so he would be protected from the direct UV contact...

As for Neville blacking out, think about it...he had just smacked his head hard enough on the ground to draw blood...more than likely a minor concussion...combined with all the blood rushing to your head from being upside down, its not unlikely he wouldve passed out from the pressure and shock...

Well I enjoyed it. I didn't read the book and I thought the ending was fine... not the usual Hollywood shite whereby everyone survives / happy ending like we see in the modern day version of 'The Invasion'... Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a much better film because the 'doomed' ending is left intact.
Read the book. Seriously. Everyone should. If you thought the ending in there was good, the one in the book blows it away.

One question: When Neville goes into that dark room following the deer / sam, why does he keep covering the light? Yes the demons/vapires/whatever don't like light, but with it covered he can't see shit, so why??

Personally I thought he was covering up the light so he could adjust his eyes to the darkness. When he accidentally shines the light in his eyes through the mirror, he pretty much blinded himself for a short period of time, not a very good thing to do when you're in a house full of raging zombie vamp things.

Read the book. Seriously. Everyone should. If you thought the ending in there was good, the one in the book blows it away.

Was about to say the same thing. The ending in the book is ten times better then what they gave us in the movie.

the cgi didn't matter that much to me, use your imagination.

The thing that really killed me was the part when they were throwing themselves at his SUV and knocking it over. I mean, yea I understand they're crazy and strong and stuff but you still can't defy physics like that.

What I thought was funny was I saw it opening night so the theater was packed, and these 2 kids were sitting next to me. They had to be like 13, and before the movie started they were talking about (aka, repeating what their parents had said) about how the job market is diminishing because we're outsourcing labor to china and wal-mart is costing 3.4 million is blah blah blah...then at the part where will smith is squirting his jacket with the garlic water, one of the kids says, "what's that?" and the other goes, "it's disinfectant."

real smart kids.

loved it, but hated it for not following the book close enough

isnt it a "the omega man" rippoff ?

-dodo

If you head back a ways in the thread you can see the discussion on the origins of the story. Technically, The Omega Man is an I Am Legend ripoff. Of sorts.

Saw it last night. It was enjoyable enough, but I couldn't go with the idea that Times Square (or wherever it was) would have somehow transformed into African Savanna in the course of just 3 years. The CGI on the mutant/zombie/vampires was awful as well and instantly made me recall the abortion that was I Robot. I'd of much preferred it if they went down the 28 Days/weaks later route of using real people.

Saw it last night. It was enjoyable enough, but I couldn't go with the idea that Times Square (or wherever it was) would have somehow transformed into African Savanna in the course of just 3 years. The CGI on the mutant/zombie/vampires was awful as well and instantly made me recall the abortion that was I Robot. I'd of much preferred it if they went down the 28 Days/weaks later route of using real people.

Zoo

6char

Didn't read the book, the movie was existential except the ending spoil spoiler spoiler spoillerr when he kills himself.

I thought it was great, they way will smith was so alienated. I think it's somewhat beleievable but how does a colonel know how to create new strands of antivirus??
Plot hole... i didnt read the book so w/e

Maybe because he was in the military AND a scientist...not everybody in the Army is a soldier...

Maybe because he was in the military AND a scientist...not everybody in the Army is a soldier...

True, however how are you gonna shoot Iraqis, yell at underlings all day and then go home and school to learn how to make anti virus shit?? I think it would have been more believable if he was some other occupation, maybe like a dedicated chemist or something along those lines. I guess all of the movies revolving around the you are the last person ever alive blah blah are full of plot holes.

Stopped reading here.

Uhmmm ok, you so needed to let the world know.
I guess it is feasible that he could have read books over the span of 3 years and "dedicated his life" to saving the world. But, still ehhh kind of stretching it imho.

Back