I am the biggest moron that ever moroned.

Raziaar

I Hate Custom Titles
Reaction score
Yeah, what a title!

Anyway... please don't do what I did kids. I caused myself enormous stress today for no raisin.

I got home... and tried turning on my computer. Computer turns on fine... monitor says there is no signal and goes back down to standby mode.

I was totally fearful as I have experienced faulty issues like this before, usually at the hands of a really ****ing shitty ATI Radeon card. I tried everything I could think of. Eventually I narrowed it down to being the monitor that was the issue, since I tried another one and it worked fine. I was about to give up and just cry the night away because I had no TV(died just recently too) and no computer.

After powering the monitor on and off a few times, i finally noticed what type of signal the monitor wasn't receiving... it wasn't receiving an HDMI signal.

Then it dawned on me... right next to my power button is the button that changes between DVI, HDMI, VGA, and COMPONENT modes. In my zombified state leaving for work this morning, I accidentally hit that button instead of the power off button, and didn't even realize it.

I feel like such a ****ing idiot. A happy idiot now, but an idiot nonetheless.

I'm sure you're all too smart to have ever done this.

Oh my gosh I totally misread the first line and saw it as 'did to kids' and I though you were going to share this horrible story about how you laid down the fist on some poor undeserving children because you raged at your computer.

Glad to know you're just a tech noob. :p

Oh my gosh I totally misread the first line and saw it as 'did to kids' and I though you were going to share this horrible story about how you laid down the fist on some poor undeserving children because you raged at your computer.

Glad to know you're just a tech noob. :p

The thing is I'm NOT a tech noob... though this whole event makes me question that.

The kids still had it coming. They dared speak to me while I was in rage mode. And ****, I was actually in rage mode. It's crazy how emotional you can sometimes get when you lose out on computer/television stimulation unwillingly and catastrophically(like hardware failure). Such a feeling of despair and realization that your entire life revolves around these electronic devices.

I was just giving you a hard time about being a noob. Everyone has had those 'wtf' moments with computer hardware to something stupid like that. :)

In the morning when I'm still half-asleep I'm occasionally liable to do things like but the sugar in the fridge and try to throw my bowl into the bin after breakfast. I usually catch myself though. Also I do it much less these days because now I generally take a shower before breakfast instead of after.

I did something similar once when I lost my internet connection. I went and reset the router and modem, then tried again and still couldn't connect. So I reset them again, and still no dice, so I spent hours on my computer figuring something on my PC was wrong. I uninstalled/reinstalled my network card drivers, messed with all the network settings, etc. Then I went to reset the stuff one last time, and I noticed that the last time I did, I didn't actually plug the Modem back in. Doh!

I did all that work, and then had to undo it, all for no raisin.

Also don't flip the shiny red switch on the back of your PSU. Yeah that's not a good thing to do. :(

I did something similar once when I lost my internet connection. I went and reset the router and modem, then tried again and still couldn't connect. So I reset them again, and still no dice, so I spent hours on my computer figuring something on my PC was wrong. I uninstalled/reinstalled my network card drivers, messed with all the network settings, etc. Then I went to reset the stuff one last time, and I noticed that the last time I did, I didn't actually plug the Modem back in. Doh!

I did all that work, and then had to undo it, all for no raisin.

I've done this before, except it was because the ethernet cable (**** wireless yo) had come loose from my computer. The little plastic bit that keeps it in broke off a while back...

Yeah, though if you mess with the wire and the angle/direction it's coming from enough, it can still work just fine. Mine broke about 2 years ago and I'm still using it.

Windows usually tells you if it detects an unplugged cable, so that problem should be obvious.

The other day I saw a loose DVI connector behind a monitor and decided to plug it in. Later, I got complaints that the screen just went black after starting up.

Turns out, I plugged both the VGA and DVI into the same monitor on the same computer, leading Windows to think there were two monitors. The black screen was caused by the fact that the login screen of Windows only shows up on the primary monitor, the other one is black. In this case it decided to only display the "second" monitor. Derp.

My laptop dropped off its tiny perch while I was singing along to it in the shower. Now I have to turn it on with a screwdriver/other conductive instrument, as the power button has completely detached.

Oh, and I just tried taking a screenshot of the dead pixels on my monitor from the same incident, but then realised it doesn't work like that. Blerg.

Today my power cable burst into flames, so I had to go get a new one.

****ing electrical fires are terrifying. Thankfully nothing caught and the power supply didn't explode.

Wow, that's some shit, perhaps it was damaged or being overloaded?

I think the cable was just getting old and had some small cuts. The new one I got has thicker insulation.

Well orange ya glad you didn't rush out and buy an Apple for no raisin?

Well orange ya glad you didn't rush out and buy an Apple for no raisin?

You're not allowed to make the raisin jokes unless you know the reference. Its a $20 fine if you don't!

You're not allowed to make the raisin jokes unless you know the reference. Its a $20 fine if you don't!

Yep... a veritable fishful of dollars. I should probably be fined too, all things considered.

Back