I hope Im not the only one

JBails

Reaction score
There may have been other threads about this but...
Am I the only one that doesent give a damn about "inauguration day"
seriously...we go from one president to another,,,theres not much difference

(Im English and ive lived in Englad for all 15 years of my life)

There is a great difference. Some presidents are amazing, some are mediocre, and some are downright awful.

I treat it as important an event as it is. A President isn't just a simple office... "oh look, another president... big whoop."

No... he has the power to **** you over or really make your country prosper. It's an important event I think, getting a new president. I mean come on, how good does it feel to have bush FINALLY out of office?

You are young and do not appreciate the gravitas of the occasion. You don't believe you are at all affected by the changing of one political leader to another because you are young. You really don't understand just HOW much difference there really is from one president to another, or how it affects you.

remember that Simpsons episode where homer has a flashback to the what he was doing while everyone else was watching the moonlanding? he was listening to "sugar sugar" on headphones

you're homer

You are young and do not appreciate the gravitas of the occasion. You don't believe you are at all affected by the changing of one political leader to another because you are young. You really don't understand just HOW much difference there really is from one president to another, or how it affects you.

truth

Agreed, you still have a lot to understand before you knock something down. This is a big difference in the United States, along with other countries around the world. One day you'll realize how much effect each president has on the world.

That poet was awful.

This.

I used to not understand the presidency and was also baffled why people made such a big deal of it, but I've learned just what a huge effect a President can have on our reputation and policy in the past duuuurrr eight years. And this time, there is such a big hate wagon against Bush, and this is such a monumental achievement for our country to reach, that America is ridicuously excited.

remember that Simpsons episode where homer has a flashback to the what he was doing while everyone else was watching the moonlanding? he was listening to "sugar sugar" on headphones

you're homer

He was listening to Yummy, yummy, yummy, you fool.

sorry I'm not up on my overly sentimental sugery pap pop music so sue me!

Obama IMHO is the much anticipated, anti christ. If you don't believe me listen to the nut jobs biging Obama up at his inauguration day.

Being in England you should care seeing how the Blair Bush special partnership ****ed both countries. This is a monumental occasion not just him being the first black president but one who can finally bring good to the world. You should look back and see how much our our foreign policy is strongly linked with Americas and how much harm it has done to us. Watch the news once in a while and then you will understand the importance of this.

The Inauguration is important to us because we are one of the few countries who can change leadership in 30 seconds flat without any uprisings or war. It's almost a symbol of our democracy and freedom.

PS WASN'T THE GOSPEL SINGER ARETHA FRANKLIN? The queen of soul! Shame on you.

You should look back and see how much our our foreign policy is strongly linked with Americas and how much harm it has done to us. Watch the news once in a while and then you will understand the importance of this.

You should look back and remember all the harm you did us. I guess what comes around goes around, right?

You're basically wallowing in the mud of your cesspit culture. Oooh, yeah.

Anyway, there's a big difference. It matters.

There's a big difference and there isn't. In spite of the complaints of myself and others, these politicians don't usually directly interfere with our lives on a daily basis. My life isn't going to change much because of this. Certainly not in a noticeable way. I think the biggest effect here might simply be called the Obama Effect. People feel different about him and that's what is going to change their lives the most for now. Although of course, there is a starker contrast between Obama and Bush than between some other world leaders.

You should look back and remember all the harm you did us. I guess what comes around goes around, right?

I'm not blaming America it was equally our fault for not having a back bone and being your lap dogs. That's why i'm more hopeful on Obama because we will follow you no matter what. I'm more hopeful of Obama bringing change to our foreign policy and bringing our troops home than our my government.

Some may think 15 is too young, but I dont...Im jsut very anti-authority.

id say thats pretty ignorant.

Obama IMHO is the much anticipated, anti christ. If you don't believe me listen to the nut jobs biging Obama up at his inauguration day.
I don't know you well enough to know if you're kidding...

Oh you seem like a very informed and intelligent young man to me.

It is still an overblown party for starting a new job. George Washington took 2 minutes to get inaugurated.

The Inauguration is important to us because we are one of the few countries who can change leadership in 30 seconds flat without any uprisings or war. It's almost a symbol of our democracy and freedom.
One of the few countries that can do that? Wake up and sniff the 21st century. Maybe if you guys thought of Europe as 27 distinct countries as opposed to one big France you might not think of yourselves as being so unique in your democracy.

I wouldn't feel the need to reply, except that I felt your same sentiment being echoed in the inauguration ceremony. The senator who was introducing everything repeated the phrase 'peaceful transition' at least twice - as if power transition in a democracy should be anything other than peaceful! What's with the self-congratulation?? Really that's just standard. It's nothing to boast about, since it's not all that special - in fact considering the divisiveness and paranoia that the far Right have tried to instil, it wasn't even all that 'peaceful'.

I wasn't, I was just stating it a fact.

He didn't know what he was doing! I swear it!
But let's stop this flirting and get to the point.

It's not really going around and coming around. It's just going around. Any member of the British government that had real power to damage America, has been dead 100 years.
The sins of the father, what.

I am assuming, of course, that you're talking about what Britain did in the colonial days, because let's face it, the USA for much of the 20 century, may as well have been impervious to Europe.

So was the gospel singer.

Aretha Franklin's father is buried one crypt below my uncle, and below and to the left of my grandpa. They are both buried in an above ground mozelieum in Detroit.

id say thats pretty ignorant.

Not everyone worships the man's feet like you do. Presidents, like bosses, come and go. What was I doing? In class finishing up logic studies, a few days before the final exam. The only way I'd give a rat's ass is if he personally came down to my college and completed the exam for me, including all the predicate logic questions.

Yes of course you are, you're fifteen.

No-one's saying you have to be frozen in front of the telly watching every bit of Obama-news, all the time, I've only mildly followed the inauguration on the news sites, but if you think that the change in government of the world's only remaining superpower isn't all that big a deal... yeah, that's kinda ignorant.

Everyone is going crazy over it, I couldn't give 2 shits, tbh.

P.S. Where did that saying come from - what does it even mean? I know it means you don't care, which is why I said it, but what does it mean really "I couldn't give 2 shits".

And why the hell should I give a damn about the inauguration. I was interested when they finally announced who the next president is. After I found out Obama won I thought OK good, and that's that.

P.S. Where did that saying come from - what does it even mean? I know it means you don't care, which is why I said it, but what does it mean really "I couldn't give 2 shits".
It means that if someone were put a quantum probability device to your head and say "I'm gonna phase the inauguration out of existence, unless you expel feces from your anus... TWICE," then you'd be like, "meh."

Disclaimer: That isn't actually what it means by any stretch of the imagination. Do not aim probability device directly at face or body under any circumstances.

I'm tempted to say that for you to poo twice would require some effort. But I get the feeling that 'shit' is actually just a replacement for another word, and besides, that explanation is heading into the realm of "I could care less" which is actually completely daft.

Examples of other words:
I couldn't give two cents. It's such a small sum, and yet still, you don't even care enough to give it.

I couldn't give a dam. Not to be confused with damn. This sentence originated (like so many others) in India. A dam was a small unit of money. It's essentially the same thing, I just wanted to show off this little piece of trivia. Of course damn has been used for so long now, that it might as well be 'correct'.

This. I like what one guy said on the radio this morning: "If you look at all of the black leaders around the world, this is nothing new. This is just America catching up to where everybody else already is." I don't mind it being a big deal in the States, but when start supporting him and crowing over him because he's popular, that just annoys me. I think he's a nice guy, but he's got some damn big boots to fill and he's going to have to prove that he can deal with it first, and until that happens: MEH

And why the hell should I give a damn about the inauguration. I was interested when they finally announced who the next president is. After I found out Obama won I thought OK good, and that's that.
The whole thing is really just a publicity wank.

Back