I insist you play this game

Sheepo

The Freeman
Reaction score
Project Zomboid's developers have gone through some tough times and have consequently been forced to release their game much earlier than they intended while being technically unable to sell it. Presently you can buy one of their joke games (the cheapest being 5 euros, or 8$) and get the alpha tech demo of Project Zomboid as a free gift.

The game is a zombie survival RPG in an XCOM style isometric world. The zombies are slow, yet everywhere. You need food. It is scarce. You need weapons. They are scarce. You need medicine. You are not immune. It randomly generates the items and places them throughout the world. It's amazing. It's got about a dozen buildings and two NPC's and I've probably put over 7 hours into it already and I'm definitely not stopping anytime soon. This demo is only supposed to be a tiny fraction of the depth and size of the game world they eventually want to create, which they will do via the Minecraft updating model. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Here's the site where you can buy it or see some media or read up on how passionate the developers are about making a bleak, unforgiving, and honest zombie world.

You can either follow the "story"/tutorial that the demo has now, which has about three different endings (one of which isn't really an ending. It's just like, okay, that happened, now go play the game more) I guess, or completely disregard it. I'd recommend you play through the two real endings to get a real sense of what they're trying to do narrative-wise. If you want to skip the tutorial/story with some real finality:
Select pillow. Click Kate. Smothered.
Although you may well just end up doing that by accident anyway. I did.

Wasn't there already a thread about this like a few days ago?

Didn't feel like bumping or double posting. This game deserves more attention.

I'm a sucker for Zombie games. I'll give it a shot.

*EDIT*
Select pillow. Click Kate. Smothered.
Although you may well just end up doing that by accident anyway. I did.

Bahahah, I even READ that and did it on accident. The second I clicked I was like "**** NO"

I recalled reading about this game on RPS a while back when they had all their moneys they had been given seized by Paypal or some similar service.

Been keeping my eye on it since.

Zombies <3

Looks pretty cool, might wait for the free demo.

Been keeping half an eye on this for a while, don't really have any spare money at all right now though.

Eh, another isometric zombie game... but the features sound interesting and almost exactly what I've always wanted in a zombie game.
I'll wait and see if they ever get out of alpha though, I'm not much of a tester.

The AW SHIT
SHIT
SHIT
at the end was priceless

Just bought it, looking forward to having a go once the game is back up.

I'm really liking the demo can't make it past a day though XD

I played this for a couple of hours and then got bored. Was pretty cool I guess, but I dunno. More weapons (pistols etc.) would be cool I guess. Multiplayer would be ****ing awesome too. Might buy further down the road.

Soooo much potential in this game, I love it so much!

Ooo, great news that there is a public demo out now. I've really wanted to give this game a try for a while now.

Managed to stay alive for 3 months 10 days, give or take. Game crashed, but it was my last day anyway, there was no food left anywhere and I was about to do a last stand.

I read that someone managed to stay alive for 8 months and was eating a bag of chips a day, but I don't know how that was possible, since I needed like 60-80 food points per day and a bag of chips gives 20. And that's when a day consisted of sleeping and standing next to the bed until I could sleep again. Maybe if I ate less from the beginning of the run and never allowed myself to be satiated, I'd manage to hold out for a week longer, but definitely not 5 more months.

lastday.jpg

Just wait until you are very hungry to eat. The more yu eat, the faster you will get hungry.

Just wait until you are very hungry to eat. The more yu eat, the faster you will get hungry.

Yes, but you can definitely keep some food reserves in you, it's not like your food level hits 0 and stops there, only to let you know you're peckish when you're at -20. If you eat a bit more than required, I don't think it completely goes to waste.

Yes, but you can definitely keep some food reserves in you, it's not like your food level hits 0 and stops there, only to let you know you're peckish when you're at -20. If you eat a bit more than required, I don't think it completely goes to waste.

Sure it does. I always kept myself at peckish and I was able to only eat 2 bags of chips a day (and that was still just a little too much). I ended up doing my last stand not because of food, but because of sickness. I got scratched, freaked out and hid while bandaging and sleeping. All went well. I was so happy, I walked out of the house and got bit by a bitch on the other side of the door. I was pissed.

looks like there's going to be an update soon:

We know people are probably getting pretty twitchy right now. We’re very close to getting a version ready to go out there.

We hoped for the end of the weekend but are not quite there, but we are very close. We’ve made good progress on how to distribute the game, and are more or less ready to go on those. We just have to have a nice tasty upgrade to justify being on their servers as a paid only thingy.
Here’s how stuff is looking:

Professions / Traits (95%)
Curtains (100%)
Burglar Alarms (100%)
Some… STUFF ;) (50%)
Important fixes (fire crash etc) (100%)
Craftable Doors (75%)

Of course these numbers probably mean little but just know we’re close and each day we’re hoping we’ll be able to get it out there, so very possibly tomorrow. If not then the day after.

Apologies again for the lack of updates but we’ve been going at it full pelt. ALMOST THERE. :)

<3

Indie Stone

file.php

I am still waiting for final confirmation that the devs plans to implement a save system (A permadeath one anyway, i.e. a save is created when you exit the game, and deleted upon loading it.)

Admin has been sort of back and forth on this issue in the comments section when people have suggested it, one comment he even writes this "We most likely won’t ever implement a save feature, however, the creation of such a system would detract from the time we can spend on making the game better for everyone."

So yeah, I'm planning on waiting to get final confirmation on whether or not he'll implement a permadeath save-system to allow for exiting the game and resuming it at a later time.

Bad news if true:
http://i.imgur.com/cZvzv.png[img][/QUOTE]

These guys just can't seem to catch a break. More info [URL="http://projectzomboid.com/blog/index.php/2011/10/project-zomboid-burglary-statement/"]here[/URL] btw.

that's terrible, they only just started to get things moving.

Hopefully they recover from this.

Sounds like Lemmy's well given up on it.

It was pretty stupid though...I just signed up for Carbonite a few weeks ago at £40 for a whole year. It detects and change to a file then uploads it automatically in the background. The game I'm making is completely backed up there, and on a 500GB external, and a 2GB USB stick.

Luckily they still have the stuff before the last update.

Wow, even the studio I worked for, which was run by a farmer and an ex telemarketing manager knew to back up our stuff on several computers and store the master server in a heavily protected room. Still its got to be such an awful feeling, I can't even imagine.

Been playing around on this the last couple of days and I really like a lot of the additions since the demo. Curtains, and the ability to hang sheets over windows instead of wasting boards is great. Another cool thing is random NPC's walking around town, none of them hostile in my experience, but you never know. The ability to change your clothes is pretty neat as well, along with the sandbox mode which lets you make your own character and modify their stats.

Just bumping to show a play test of the latest update if anyone's interested. The game world has now been greatly extended with what looks like a CBD, NPC's you can talk to and team up with as well as new lighting and a few other things.

I want this game, but I dunno if the controls etc will put me off. How does it play? Is it clunky?

I wish this was 3D :(

Controls are pretty comfortable IIRC. I don't remember them being awkward.

Yeah, I had no trouble with controls at all. Good stuff coming up, gonna cash in on some upcoming freetime.

Back