I need opinions on which car to buy.

Vigilante

Reaction score
Hey guys. So I graduated from college in May and finally have a job I start next Monday. I want to buy a new car because my Jeep has 140,000 miles on it (going to keep it) and my Mustang does nothing but sit (selling it soon).

I'm an automotive enthusiast, so I want more than just transportation. I'd like something that gets decent gas mileage but still quick, so I've been looking at cars with turbo 4-cylinder engines, but I don't wanna be a tunerfag (which rules out the Evo and STi). Whatever I get I'll likely be leaving stock. I've been looking at used Mk5 VW GTIs and the MazdaSpeed 3, and possibly a 2-3 year old Mustang GT, but if I did that I'd want the new 5.0, so that got ruled out. I was also considering a Mini Cooper S, but my mom called them cute so I don't want one anymore.

I'd look into a six cylinder car as well.

Contingencies:
-Looking at used cars.
-$23,000 limit (and that's stretching it).
-No Hondas.
-No rotaries (sorry pitz).
-I'd prefer to buy European or American, but the Speed 3 is appealing.

Any suggestions on what else to look at? Thanks!!

Go for a Jetta dude. Superior German engineering

Go for a Jetta dude. Superior German engineering

Not really looking for a 4 door sedan, which is why I'm looking into hatchbacks. (Plus most U.S. Jettas are made in Mexico...they aren't the highest quality).

Man, the new WRX STI hatches are soooo awesome though.

Anyway, are you looking strictly for cars or are trucks welcome too?

I went from a 4 door Scion xB up to a pickup and it was the best decision i could've made.

Also, 2 door or 4 door? (or 5 door?)

Edit: I think Mazda has the smaller Mazda Speed 2 coming out too.

I'm never buying a new car again. Get something about a year old. Much better value and will still be under warranty.

I paid 23,000 for my brand new 08 Lancer in late 2007. It is worth about 9,000 now and I still owe over 16K on it. If I had waited a year I probably would have saved at least 6 grand on it.

I'm never buying a new car again. Get something about a year old. Much better value and will still be under warranty.

I paid 23,000 for my brand new 08 Lancer in late 2007. It is worth about 9,000 now and I still owe over 16K on it. If I had waited a year I probably would have saved at least 6 grand on it.

Sorry, should have added that I'm only looking at used as well.

Frosted - the new STI is way out of my price range. I'm looking for two door mainly (although I realize the MazdaSpeed 3 is a 5 door hatch). The new Speed2 looks pretty cool, but I'm not sure I want to buy new.

Don't really want a truck because I'll be keeping my Jeep, which probably has at least another 100k miles left in it. Love that unkillable 4.0 I-6 it has.

I'd recommend looking around on Ebay, and checking the car out in person before making a decision. I would also suggest Audi, and I found a few RS6's on ebay for 8000 dollars.

Ebay is the place where I originally found both my first and second car. First went through a private seller and the second through a dealer. This also is something you should take into consideration when buying a car.

My first car claimed to have been serviced regularly, with new brakes and oil a day before the sale. That oil looked and smelled as though it hadn't been changed since 2004, and the wheels were rusted into place. The brake pads were at the end of their life and the tires had been chewed up.

My truck was serviced the day I sent to pick it up, I even watched them change the oil, air filter and windshield washer fluids.

I'd recommend buying from a (rather large) dealership, but thats just based on my own experience.

Also, why not look into the 2011 Scion tC?

I'd recommend looking around on Ebay, and checking the car out in person before making a decision. I would also suggest Audi, and I found a few RS6's on ebay for 8000 dollars.

Ebay is the place where I originally found both my first and second car. First went through a private seller and the second through a dealer. This also is something you should take into consideration when buying a car.

My first car claimed to have been serviced regularly, with new brakes and oil a day before the sale. That oil looked and smelled as though it hadn't been changed since 2004, and the wheels were rusted into place. The brake pads were at the end of their life and the tires had been chewed up.

My truck was serviced the day I sent to pick it up, I even watched them change the oil, air filter and windshield washer fluids.

I'd recommend buying from a (rather large) dealership, but thats just based on my own experience.

Also, why not look into the 2011 Scion tC?

Yeah, I'm planning on buying from a dealer. It's a lot less risky. And Scions have never done anything for me...they're everywhere and strike me as kind of "meh". I also want something with at least 200hp, preferably more.

I'm so damn picky, haha.

Hey I understand that, right after I got my truck I feel in love with the WRX STi wagon and wished I had waited and looked into that and the Mazda 3.

Would this vehicle be a daily driver or would you want something a little more?

My truck is my DD but I take it off road occasionally as thats what I really wanted it for.

It'd be a daily driver. I'm looking around to see what a used 09 WRX goes for.

I don't know shit about cars, but the Dodge Caliber has refrigerated glovebox cup holders, so thats going to be my recommendation.

2007dodgecaliberinglove.jpg

I'm pretty sure they adjust to hold cans upright as well. Thats cool shit.

Mazdaspeed3 is a nice, however, the Mazdaspeed6 is a much nicer option imo. It is AWD, unlike the 3 which is FWD. Speed6 also has more power. You'll almost certainly be able to find a slightly used one for well below your maximum price.

If you're looking to go the stretch and get a V6 with 305hp (19/31 mpg) then the 2011 Mustang+dealer haggling is a good thing to look at. http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/

I've been really impressed with what I've seen from Ford lately, especially in regards to their new engine philosophy.

If you're looking to go the stretch and get a V6 with 305hp (19/31 mpg) then the 2011 Mustang+dealer haggling is a good thing to look at. http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/

I've been really impressed with what I've seen from Ford lately, especially in regards to their new engine philosophy.

I see what you mean, but I'm also a big muscle car person. I would never own a mustang that didn't have a V8. (I have a '92 GT 5.0 right now). I agree, though. Ford has been putting out some damn nice products lately (which is a lot more than can be said about GM and Chrysler).

Thanks for the suggestion Sedako, will definitely look into those.

What's your price range? You said you're an enthusiast and want 200HP or more. Since you're looking at STI's, Mustangs and GTI's then it's safe to assume you don't care where the power to you wheels go.

If you're looking for a GREAT all around car then I'd definitely go for a GTI. With just a chip (around $500) then you're adding about 30-40HP which the stock engine can safely handle without any problems.

The problem with used STi's are obvious. They're mostly abused, I'd stay away from them unless you do a thorough search on the model you're looking at. Also the insurance on them are really high.

What about Infiniti G35 coupes? They can be had for fairly cheap (<$20k) and are very powerful and look really good. Reliability on them are also good too, I haven't heard any horror stories from owners and many people drive them well beyond the warranty with 0 issues other than standard maintenance.

What's your price range? You said you're an enthusiast and want 200HP or more. Since you're looking at STI's, Mustangs and GTI's then it's safe to assume you don't care where the power to you wheels go.

If you're looking for a GREAT all around car then I'd definitely go for a GTI. With just a chip (around $500) then you're adding about 30-40HP which the stock engine can safely handle without any problems.

The problem with used STi's are obvious. They're mostly abused, I'd stay away from them unless you do a thorough search on the model you're looking at. Also the insurance on them are really high.

What about Infiniti G35 coupes? They can be had for fairly cheap (<$20k) and are very powerful and look really good. Reliability on them are also good too, I haven't heard any horror stories from owners and many people drive them well beyond the warranty with 0 issues other than standard maintenance.

The absolute max I'd want to spend is $25k. The chipped GTI is definitely an idea, what was turning me away from it was 60 less hp than the Mazda and Subaru. With the Subaru I'm looking at a regular WRX, not an STI. Can't afford an STI (if I were to stretch that far I'd buy a new 2011 Mustang GT 5.0). If I went that route though I'd want an 09 though (265hp).

I'll probably pass on the G35, they don't do much for me. In general Japanese cars don't do much for me, but the Mazda and Subaru are really the only ones I'd consider.

EDIT: Been looking at the APR chips for the GTI...I'm now thinking a GTI with a Stage 1 APR chip will do the trick :).

If you're interested in V6s that perform, you could also go look at the Hyundai Genesis Coupe. It's a 306 on a pretty light machine that I've heard can do some pretty amazing stuff.

If you're interested in V6s that perform, you could also go look at the Hyundai Genesis Coupe. It's a 306 on a pretty light machine that I've heard can do some pretty amazing stuff.

Unfortunately, it's quite the butterface:

hyundai-genesis-coupe-2010-793431.jpg

The absolute max I'd want to spend is $25k. The chipped GTI is definitely an idea, what was turning me away from it was 60 less hp than the Mazda and Subaru. With the Subaru I'm looking at a regular WRX, not an STI. Can't afford an STI (if I were to stretch that far I'd buy a new 2011 Mustang GT 5.0). If I went that route though I'd want an 09 though (265hp).

I'll probably pass on the G35, they don't do much for me. In general Japanese cars don't do much for me, but the Mazda and Subaru are really the only ones I'd consider.

EDIT: Been looking at the APR chips for the GTI...I'm now thinking a GTI with a Stage 1 APR chip will do the trick :).

Yea honestly go for GTI w/chip. Either that or the MazdaSpeed 3. You really can't go wrong with either. The only reason why I'd go for the GTI over the speed 3 is because it's just a more of an all-around type car. I think the GTI has a much nicer interior. With a chip and maybe an exhaust you're basically right in there with the Speed3. Not to mention it comes standard with a sunroof which the Speed3 doesn't.

Someone suggested the Genesis coupe which also is a very good choice since Hyundai has the best warranties out of any manufacturer now.

I think you should take your time with your purchase and test drive as many cars as possible.

I would recommend either a Ford Fusion or a Dodge Charger.

I would definitely go to auctions. Bring someone who is really knowledgeable in cars and go browse. My dad for example belong to Manheim , but you have to be a "dealer" to belong to it (my dad has a friend who has the license) so if you know anyone who belongs to it, bring them along. At some auctions they push thousands of cars through and you can pick stuff up really cheap.

I think I'm going to go test drive a Mk 5 GTI, 2009+ WRX, and a MazdaSpeed3. Will report back :).

-No rotaries (sorry pitz).

Once you said 6 cylinder, I KNEW you'd say that :LOL:

Anyway, from everybody that has a Speed3, I've heard nothing but good things about it. Roomy, reliable, the speed is there when you need it. That gets my vote.

Get an Astra VXR and have it remapped to 280bhp, probably called "Saturn Astra" over there. 240bhp, 0-60, 6.2 seconds.

25512760007_large.jpg

Get an Astra VXR and have it remapped to 280bhp, probably called "Saturn Astra" over there. 240bhp, 0-60, 6.2 seconds.

25512760007_large.jpg

Unfortunately Vauxhalls aren't sold in the US, and Saturn was discontinued. I've never see that car on the roads of the US, but I do love the look of it!

Unfortunately Vauxhalls aren't sold in the US, and Saturn was discontinued. I've never see that car on the roads of the US, but I do love the look of it!

Looks amazing doesn't it?

Even better if it's rare! Saturn definitely did one in the US, but it wasn't called VXR, it was called something else, like ST or something.

Saturn only stopped in the US in 2009, the VXR has been in production since 2005.

Great performance, looks amazing, it's the best hot hatch you can buy IMO.

I nearly bought one, but didn't because I do so many miles (bought a diesel model that looks similar). I guess on your side of the pond it might even be considered economical compared to what else you are considering!

Back