i need to lose weight

ok i ran around for like 10 minutes and i did jumping jacks, i cant do it for long but ill work on it. right now i feel very tired. fluke where are you? :(

Wraith said:
ok i ran around for like 10 minutes and i did jumping jacks, i cant do it for long but ill work on it. right now i feel very tired. fluke where are you? :(

Just jog to work or school each day... means you dont have to work out during you spare time when you can relax!

my school is ahalf hour drive away, but i will start jogging around when i get there (gotta get fromone end of the campus to the other about 3 times per schoold ay, thats at least a 30 minutes run altogether, can i work out that way or must it be 30 minutes at a time?)

anything which gets you slightly out of breath on a regular basis is great. If your parents pick you up why not ask to be dropped off a ten mins run from your home when you come home from school? get excersise that way?

Christ almighty, I'm the only one who has recommended he see his doctor. How do you know hes not diabetic? Or genetically predisposed to storing fat easily?

GO TO YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING IN THIS THREAD

Diabetes doesnt make people obese... however obesety can cause diabetes... :p

No harm in going to a doctor though...

Wraith said:
my school is ahalf hour drive away, but i will start jogging around when i get there (gotta get fromone end of the campus to the other about 3 times per schoold ay, thats at least a 30 minutes run altogether, can i work out that way or must it be 30 minutes at a time?)
Far better results come from 20-30 mins of continuous cardiovascular exercise. Heart rate should be high. Search the net for the proper exercise range for your age/how to test it with your fingers.

Just eat healthy, avoid junk food all the time, don't snack, don't be lazy, avoid boozing every single day and night, walk instead of drive.

Wraith said:
fluke where are you?
Theres a lot of noise in here. I will make this as to the point as possible.

Theres a lot of sugar in that breakfast bar. As I said, oatmeal is best, but other wheat/grain cerials will do. You need complex carbs to keep your metabolism going. Processed/refined carbs (flours/sugars) spike your metabolism and then it crashes. (as others said, eating less food more often helps this)

When doing cardio, the key is just to get your heart rate up, not to wear out your muscles. This can be accomplished by a slow/medium jog. Dont run, you'll just wear out fast. Find a pace that you can do for 30 - 45 min.

There was some mixed messages about weightlifting. While the action of weightlifting does not burn nearly as much fat as cardio, having larger and denser muscles will burn more all day long, and make the cardio you do more effective.

I hope you checked out johns site, and the fatloss animation in the videos section. :) That blew my mind. John also has kept food logs from day 1. While it would be hard for anyone to just pick up John's diet, it is a great resource for learning what foods are good to eat.

There is a lot to know about fitness, but you dont have to learn it all at once. Just take it a piece at a time. Do cardio and slowly tweak your diet. Start weightlifting when you can (sooner the better, but its up to you) and then start lookin into proper routines. After a while you will feel like an expert, and have skills that will last you your whole life.

Good luck Wraith. Take it at your own pace. Dont get discouraged, and keep at it. In a few months you will notice a real difference,. and before you know it, people will be amazed at your progress.
:thumbs:

Join a karate class, cut the desserts down to once every while (see them as an occasional treat instead of a daily neccesity), you don't need to count every calorie you take in but just be smart about what you eat and you'll lose weight.

Parrot of doom said:
Christ almighty, I'm the only one who has recommended he see his doctor. How do you know hes not diabetic? Or genetically predisposed to storing fat easily?

GO TO YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING IN THIS THREAD

Obiesity is not genetic, it's just an excuse used by overweight people to not excersise and overeat.

Is it better to exercise in the morning before/after you eat or is it better to do it at night before/after you eat?

Zeus said:
Obiesity is not genetic, it's just an excuse used by overweight people to not excersise and overeat.
that's not 100% true, although in most cases it's not genetic.

[helpfulness]
try to be less fat.
[/helpfulness]

perhaps an underactive thyroid also, i suggest going for a physical and talking to your dr. about your weight issues.

this might sound cliche but eat healthy and exercise. just run till you feel your legs will break off and your lungs will be coughed out. do push-ups/sit-ups everyday untill your abs and chest hurt. you really have to push yourself to get in shape - just don't hurt yourself. try to make your work-out enjoyable and energetic: pump up the G-Unit and put up a poster of your mortal enemy to show that you are better. :E If you can, join a sports team or club so that you will have more fun when losing weight. Hope that helps. I try to keep this routine but its hard to with school, job, work, and who can forget, tv.

You can always go on the Tom plan (a friend of mine.) His plan consists of 1) Go without eating for days because your too lazy and cheap to get food, and 2) Play DDR ALL the time. I'm a pretty fat guy myself, and I know I couldn't do that, but maybe it'll work for you.

If your looking for more physical activity, why not try sex? It works all kinds of muscles. Just go out and find a girl who's into big guys and get fa-reaky. It worked with me.

i already havea girl that loves me and so on, but her mom never lets her go places with me because we always end up barricaded in the bathroom together...

http://bodybuilding.com/

WARNING! the forum is packed with assholes, but its good info none the less. Start with 3 days a week, maybe mon, wed, fri.

Monday: chest and biceps
Wednesday: legs and shoulders
Friday: Back and Triceps

Thats my schedule, I could post the whole thing exercise by exercise if you want, but its best to make your own.

There is the obvious stuff you need to do with your diet, but even if you get thin by eating salad you still will not be in shape.

just now i walked and jogged 2 miles, jogged only about 20% of the time though because i really started getting winded. but i felt my heart and it was beating like crazy so thats good right? fluke, or anyone else who knows what they are tlaking about, are kelloggs cornflakes good? i bought a box on my way home (played doom 3 at a friends house and walked home) ok and it says 100 calories per cup, and 0 fat. ok so im thinking tomorrow ill eat half a cup with milk when i wake up, then another half a cup with mile like 2 hours later, then for lunch a 6 inch wheat sub, and then dinner another 6 inch wheat sub, and ill runa round a bit too. sound good? please respond

-t3h wraith

be careful with the toppings you get on the subs, alot of the sauces are loaded with crap. also try to walk/jog for 30-60 minutes at a time, i'm not sure how long it took you to do the 2 miles, but i would guage it by how long, not how far.

You are going to want to worry less about your diet and more about your workout regement.

BUT, if you really want to know a secret about calleries... Apples are negative on the scale. Thats right, apples take more calleries to digust than you get out of them. But dont go strictly on these ultra low cal diets, you need energy to burn.

And yes, everyone gets that horrid chest pain when they run. I usually play raquetball for my cardio, its much less... like torture.

Allright, I've kind of bin there done that about all this (I currently feel/look healthier than ever), and I have a few tips.

You don't have to run until you die, you know, the most important thing is you do it often, and that you always step it up a notch (make it longer, and after a while faster).

Something important to remember here is this:
You won't lose weight unless your use up more energy than you consume.

It wasn't until I realized that I started losing weight.
I eat a lot less now than I used to, and still I exercise alot more. I guess I just wasn't aware of how much I was eating.

I'll tell you what my eating/exercising habits are like...

two slices of brown bread (not sure what you call it in english) for breakfast, and a pretty huge glass of either orange juice, water or milk.
This is opposed to my usual (a couple of years back) four slices of white bread and some sort of sugarbomb chocolate milk.

Whatever they offer in school for lunch, and maybe some salad and a hard sandwich.

Some sort of dinner, fish or meat or chicken or something. Don't feel guilty for eating meat or whatever, just don't eat too much, and definitely don't eat too much potatoes/rice etc.

Yoghurt/cereal at night, if I'm still hungry a huge glass of water.
Be careful what cereal you eat btw, some of them are pretty much only sugar. Again, eat those that are brown (bran etc)...

I never drink soda anymore, and I keep my unhealthy foods and candy contained to one day a week (weekends usually). I usually don't drink alcohol either, if I do only one day (night) a week.

Do not reward yourself for exercising with candy or a really huge meal!
You will become a little more hungry than you're used to, but that's how you know it's working.

I suggest you don't eat desserts either, I never do, and I always say no when people offer me sweets etc.

I practice a martial art once or twice a week, which isn't really that much exercise since there's alot of emphasis on technique etc., wich is fun but I don't see it as my primary source of exercise.

I used to run three times a week, but now it's getting too cold!
I swim now instead of running, about two times a week (1000m, 35 minutes or so).
I lift weights sometimes to, maybe once a week.

I loose a little bit of weight everyday, which feels great since this feels like the kind of life I want to live. The eating habits and exercising habits feel right.
I weigh myself every morning (after going to the toilet, before breakfast), and now I write it up aswell so I can follow my development and see what works etc.

I feel I must stress this btw:
If you exercise in the morning without eating breakfast, your body is basically going into starvation mode, which means burning off your muscles and storing everything it can as fat!! Basically, don't do it!

Big post!
I suggest you weigh yourself now, keep to this healthy way of living for two weeks and weigh yourself again.
If you weigh less, congrats you've lost weight, if you weigh the same or more, congrats, you've got a bigger percentage of muscle than you did before! :D

Weight isn't the important thing btw., it's how you feel and how you look. I'd easily want to weigh a 100 kg if it meant I was as fit as any professional martial artist... ;)

Wraith said:
just now i walked and jogged 2 miles, jogged only about 20% of the time though because i really started getting winded. but i felt my heart and it was beating like crazy so thats good right?
You could probably still take it easier, but 2 miles is definitly a good workout for someone whos just starting out! (good show!). The easiest way to know when you're in the zone are pulse monitors, though you can always stop and take your pulse manually. Theres some good charts, and its hard to say, but I'd guestimate a good HR for your age is 120-160bpm. heres a heart rate guide.
are kelloggs cornflakes good?
Much better then the cereal bar! But not as good as whole grains. Shredded wheat, total, cherrios are better. (Plain old oatmeal is still best ;)) The spacing sounds good. Eat the cornflakes, but you may want to consider something heartier next time. Try to get some kind of protien in there too (not quite enough in milk); eggs, cottage cheese, whey, or some meat.
Sorze said:
If you exercise in the morning without eating breakfast, your body is basically going into starvation mode, which means burning off your muscles and storing everything it can as fat!! Basically, don't do it!
John Stone does early morning cardio on an empty stomach. This is fine. You just gotta eat well right after. (and in this case, a little sugar is actually a good thing)

Back