I need your help! **HL2net Community Event**

Ren.182

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm about to finish my final year at uni, and for my final year project I've decided to try and create a level that features height as a major factor.

To do this I've researched the last 2500 years of infantry tactics and war to try and build a balanced level, where neither team has an advantage over the other.

To try and test this I created the map in Team Fortress 2, as it has 9 classes which all play very differently, so it'll be really interesting to see how they all work in the different situations.

Now, I'm going to be borrowing the HL2.net TF2 server to test this, and I need some testers.

I think the test may take place Tuesday night, say around 9PM GMT, all being well. If any of you will be available to test (any of you can test, the more the merrier!) please post here and let me know so I can get an idea of some of the numbers.

If you test the map out I would ask that you fill out a short survey after the test so I can get some feedback on what you thought of it. We may need to play it multiple times to get some good testing in.

If its clear one team is winning then the teams will be scrambled etc. If that same team keeps winning then there would clearly be some balance issues with the map and I'd need to address those.

Thanks for anyone who is willing to help, I really appreciate it! I'll post some screenshots, and probably a video later on.

Thanks again :)

Yep, vertical.
Red team is on top, blue is on the bottom. 5 capture points.

It's not the best looking map ever, but at the moment only the gameplay and balance is being tested.

Thanks for the help guys :D Will be nice if we could get a good 10v10 or more game going :D

Sounds like Ender's Game.

"The enemy's control point is down." :D

Anyway, if my PC could run TF2 I'd play, but it doesn't.

Ok, for those of you who're gonna join, here is the download link for the map:

http://rapidshare.com/files/378090219/RenHeightTest01.rar

You can either download it and install it yourself, or just join the server later and it'll download the map, but installing it yourself is probably faster :) Install instructions are in the readme file.

Some screenshots here for you, top screenshot is the top CP, lower screenshots are moving down the map.
layout170000.jpg

layout170001.jpg

layout170002.jpg

layout170003.jpg

layout170004.jpg

layout170005.jpg

layout170006.jpg

I know its nothing amazing to look at, its purely built to test gameplay though.

Blue's spawns are slightly closer to points to give them a slight advantage, seeing as Reds could just fall down to lower points (taking damage in the process).

Once we've played the test match/s could you please fill out this short survey please:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9JBG6VQ (please only fill it out if you took part, don't want messed up results)

Any questions PM me or give me a shout on steam!

I might ask you all to record demos of the game, not sure if the server has SourceTV. I'll let you all know :)

Thank you. :)
If you take part you'll get your own little acknowledgment in my dissertation :) I'll upload my dissertation for people to have a read too if people will be interested (over 10k words :p)

If I can get enough players the test will take place tonight. I'll update with more info soon.

Ok, testing postponed till tomorrow night I think. Need some stuff on the server sorting, I'll update as I know more. If anyone else is interested please post!

Well I've just finished my dissertation, and I'm taking tomorrow off, so I'll participate! Anything for a friend and old clan mate.

Downloading map now. <3

Thanks, Dek :D <3

Secks for you and all who join :D

And thank you, Cow Say Moo :) If it proves fun and balanced I'll probably continue with it after my dissertation is done and make a full blown map from it. :)

My comp can barely run TF2, but I'll start downloading it again and hopefully it will be done in time tomorrow as I'd like to join in. I like the concept of the map, hopefully it will work well!

Thank you, Quixoticism! :D

Yeah, I wanted to do something a little different for my dissertation, it's been interesting doing all of the research for it :)

Tomorrow you say, I'll make it a goal to finish my essay and hopefully join

I'd love to join in. I'm assuming 9:00 PM GMT is 3 PM EST, so I'll be on around 3:20 after class.

Well theres no specific time set at the moment. AtomicSpark is just asking the server provider if its ok to use SourceTV and we're good to go.

If not we can still do the test but I'd need you all to record demos of the game.

As soon as AtomicSpark gets back to me I'll try and arrange a time where most people will be online.

Very simple. You simply open up console, typre in "record (demoname)" and it'll record what you do in the game. You can then send it me and I can watch/record it. :)

Thank you :) I'll try and get a time set, make it easier for people.

Ok, I think we'll arrange the test for 9PM London time TONIGHT

If you're not sure what time that is at your location then enter your location in this link and it should give you the correct time :)

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclo...nth=4&year=2010&hour=21&min=0&sec=0&p1=0&p2=0

If you have any questions feel free to PM me or give me a shout on steam. Thank you to all who are participating, you're being very helpful :)

I should be free by 9pm tonight, so count me in. Haven't played TF2 in a while, this is as good an excuse as any.

EDIT: actually, having recalculated I've decided I probably won't be able to make it. I have some very important business to attend to, intercepting certain light rays which are scheduled to be emanating from a local televisual source. 10pm would probably be workable but don't reschedule on my account.

If I can Laivasse, and if people are enjoying the map, I'll try and get several games going, if we're still playing when you're free feel free to jump in! :D

Test is planned to start in around 50 minutes time from the time this post was made. :)

Cool. I'll download and try to join up with you guys.

Uhm... That's strange. Steam tells me that my account doesn't exist. I'll try to fix it.

What is the IP & Pass (if there is one) to the server?

Server IP: 85.234.148.11:27205
No password

I think you guys will need to record a demo of yourself playing. I don't think AtomicSpark will be around anytime soon to turn on SourceTV if the server provider allows it, so I'm gonna have to go through all your demos later :D

To record a demo, simply open up console, type in "record [demoname]" (Without quotes and type a name for the demo where [demoname] is) and it'll record whatever you do. You can then send that to me (upload it somewhere, send it via msn/xfire/whatever you prefer to use, and I can go through all the demos and see how it plays.

Thanks for the help guys :)

Planning on being there. Does demo recording hurt performance much? If it's not too bad I'll be sure to make some.

Nah you shouldn't really notice much if any difference. If you find it hurts your performance too much though just don't record :) Rather have an extra player with no demo then an extra player with a laggy demo and experience :)

Well the server has SourceTV enabled now, I just need an admin to come online and start a demo record for me. So demo recording shouldn't be needed. :)

Just getting into TF2 (a few years late) so I wouldn't mind helping out. I'll be on there in a bit.

Im probably gonna have to sit this one out. My account don't work. I contacted steam support and hopefully will have it sorted soon.

We're still paying if anyone is interested, source tv is up so no need to record demos :)

Nice map. Only got in for 10 minutes or so, so I don't feel like I played enough of a proper game to be able to fill out the survey. BTW you should edit the OP and stick the survey link in that too.

Great few games guys, been really helpful and fun! :D

Going to go through the demos now and get the results wrote down in my dissertation. Going to be making some changes to spawn rooms, and probably going to add some bits of cover to the lower points.

Going to try and get a second test tomorrow night with all the changes. if you're all up for it again. :)

Thanks again, been a great help! :D

Back