i Phone 4 Announced

Sierra Oscar

Hunter
Reaction score
Well a new i Phone was just announced (yeah I know, "/care" et cetera).

. . . . so who was unfortunate enough to have bought an i Phone 3rd generation within the last month?:eek:

You shouldn't have done that, everyone knew the new phone was coming this month.

But I was following the live blog on engadget for this. Really nothing amazing about this phone. 720p video record is cool, so is the higher resolution, so is their multitasking (which I still dont know is ture multitasking or just limited to certain apps) but none of these features are revolutionary.

Phone still lacks a microSD card, still lacks a removable battery, still uses the same outdated interface, no flash support, small 3.5" screen, etc, etc, etc. I was hoping they had some tricks up their sleeves to actually put up a fight against android, doesn't look like it. The advantages it does have (the main thing I can think of is battery life) get overshaddowed by it's disadvantages when compared to other devices.

I have no regrets about rushing out on Friday and getting the evo eventhough I knew apple would make this announcement today.

apparently it has 326 pixels per square inch, 26 more than what the human eye can process, making an image appear to have depth...or so i'm told.

but i agree with no limit, nothing special imo.

apparently it has 326 pixels per square inch, 26 more than what the human eye can process, making an image appear to have depth...or so i'm told.

but i agree with no limit, nothing special imo.

I don't get why they made that sound so revolutionary. It's a higher resolution screen, that's all. The resolution is great, no doubt. But it's not that much bigger than many of the newer devices out already. Yet their marketing team decided to give it some stupid flashy name as if it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

OMFG NEW IPHONE YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

OMFG FOR ****ING ****S SAKES FUUUCKS FOR ****ING ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AEROUGLNFDIOFSUFISDFGIEGIUEIGSDOFSIIAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! ****!

MY GOD OF FUUUCK! **** MY GOD ****ING ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STEVE JOBS ****S LIKE ****S HELL ****S OH MY ****ING ****ED GODS OF ****!

btw that was sarcasm

I think, personally, it's the most aesthetically pleasing phone I've seen for a while, despite not being a massive fan of the previous iPhones' rounded backs.

And as my current phone contract is just about to run out and my iPod is slowly dying* this looks like it could be a fairly good replacement.

*The sound output is incredibly quiet, even on full volume, any ideas?

The phone does look great, but the usual iDouchebaggery from Apple is nauseating.

I'm ready to play with one. My 3g is really starting to show it's datedness.

I don't get why people would go with the iPhone over the newer Droid phones. Just the fact I can tether for free at speeds around 1.5Mbits is enough for me. Flash support will also be a big deal. Not to mention ATT will now cap all their data plans at 2GB. If streaming netflix movies that's around 6 movies a month if you dont do anything else on your phone.

I have never owned an iPhone before, they never really appealed to me. But as a person who frequently watches movies on public transportation, that screen is very appealing. Right now I use an iPod Touch 2G, I've never really needed a phone. Next time I'm near an Apple store I'll check one out.

But it's not that much bigger than many of the newer devices out already. Yet their marketing team decided to give it some stupid flashy name as if it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Apple's entire marketing strategy revealed.

Apparently for the 32GB model, it's $299 on contract.

Does that mean you have to buy the handset for that price before even paying a monthly fee?

If so, grim.

The iPhone is the most innovative product in the world today. It helps thousands of people with their daily life and enhances their media experience. Steve Jobs is making once again, another revolutionary product for people to enjoy.

EDIT:
Let me go on why the iPhone is the best product out today.

It bypasses all current devices because of it's unique, fast, flashy interface. It runs more applications than all current devices because it is unique and the developers who use it are smart.

The iPhone is innovative because it puts the Web into things you do everyday, and enhances your content.

Yeah it is a great phone, totally agreed. In fact I will probably end up getting one soon. It just would be nice if they bundled everything from day one - but I guess that makes less $$$. Its like computer hardware now, you need to buy at the right time for the best value.

The iPhone is the most innovative product in the world today. It helps thousands of people with their daily life and enhances their media experience. Steve Jobs is making once again, another revolutionary product for people to enjoy.

EDIT:

It bypasses all current devices because of it's unique, fast, flashy interface. It runs more applications than all current devices because it is unique and the developers who use it are smart.

The iPhone is innovative because it puts the Web into things you do everyday, and enhances your content.

The android I got has everything you mentioned and then much more on top of that. Although it is a neat product there is nothing revolutionary about the new iPhone, so take it down a notch.

Awesome, end of June can't come quick enough! Really looking forward to this one, I skipped on the 3GS. The Retina Display stuff sounds very impressive (along with everything else), as well as the 720p video editing. Also digging the aesthetic design changes.

Another fantastic iteration.

edit: why is this not in hardware?

Ehhhhhhhh, nothing makes me go "Man, I am sorry I went with Android!" except maybe the 720p video recording.

Granted, his freak out on the WiFi was hilarious.

As to be expected. Apple marketing makes everyone drop their current iPhone and rush to the stores to get the latest version.

My next phone will be the HTC Incredible. I prefer its features above the iPhone's and it's about €250 cheaper, so it's a nobrainer.

Retina display? You're falling for their marketing bullshit brah.

it's just like every single thing on the market. If a company does something different they generally have a name for it, but because it's apple doing it now it's this evil thing.

"Hyper-threading" who cares if it's better, what a bunch of intel marketing bullshit. Why don't they just say it "delivers two processing threads per physical core"?

"BlueTec" what is that marketing bullshit? Why don't they just say it's a system to remove nitrous oxide from exhaust emissions?

...and so on...apple made a crisp(er) screen and gave the name of 'retina display', it's no big deal, that's what companies do.

edit: and it probably won't make a difference but engagdet said, "The screen is truly outrageous -- you basically cannot see pixels on it. We're not being hyperbolic when we say it's easily the best looking mobile phone screen we've ever laid eyes on."

The thing is hyperthreading is a real thing. I am not smart enough on the matter to know the exact details on what hyperthreading did for single core processors but it did have a performance increase which I think was related to caching.

Simply bumping up the resolution is not anything new nor unique, there are hundreds of resolutions out there on the market. Yes, it has 60% more pixels than the best android out there which is impressive. But that's not reason enough to give a higher resolution a brand new name that you try to trademark. The way I see it is the apple marketing team got together and tried to figure out what they were actually bringing to the table that was new, and the resolution was it. So they branded it to make it sound revolutionary so they could make a big deal out of it at the conference.

And no doubt, that's a huge resolution for such a small screen, I can't wait to actually look at it. But again, it's nothing that deserves its own trademark. It's as if HTC tried to trademark the 4.3" screen size, makes no sense.

it's just like every single thing on the market. If a company does something different they generally have a name for it, but because it's apple doing it now it's this evil thing.
This isn't hardware related, but I always thought this was a pretty extreme (and hilarious) example of this principle: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/reload-cancel-rainbow-six/31990

Yes, reload cancel. Sorry, I mean [R.C.]. Yep. They were literally advertising the fact that you could stop reloading mid-animation if you wanted to. There wasn't even a button or action dedicated to it, he just performs a short sprint to cancel out the effect... something that you can do in several other shooters, but without the unneeded fanfare. This becomes even more ridiculous when you realise they're making a big deal about it in a Rainbow Six game, a series that (at some point in time) was meant to realistic. GOOD THING US RAINBOWS HAVE MAGICAL INSTANTANEOUS CLIP REINSERTION POWERS LOL.

Will be getting in September hopefully. Looking forward to it.

I found an iPod Touch on the bus, fiddled with a few aps for like half a month, and then just used it as an iPod.

I doubt the iPhone 4 is going to make my life infinitely better/easier.

I found an iPod Touch on the bus, fiddled with a few aps for like half a month, and then just used it as an iPod.

I doubt the iPhone 4 is going to make my life infinitely better/easier.

You need a constant internet connection or the vast majority of apps are pointless. You also better not have a smartphone of any kind.

A8p17.jpg

Beautiful.

I don't have a smartphone of any kind, and I was around constant wireless internet.

My point still stands, though it's purely opinion.

I don't have a smartphone of any kind, and I was around constant wireless internet.

My point still stands, though it's purely opinion.
The point is when you arent around wifi which happens often unless you never leave the house. I am writing this as i wait for my tires to be changed.

That wasn't the point of what 63 was saying, no.

Theres free wireless at unis, McDonalds, shopping centres, etc. anyway, so I don't really get what you're saying.

That wasn't the point of what 63 was saying, no.

Theres free wireless at unis, McDonalds, shopping centres, etc. anyway, so I don't really get what you're saying.

What is there not to get? McDonald's wireless usually costs money. Most shopping centers I've been to don't have wireless. The place I was changing my tires at didn't have wifi. Nor does my gym.

Maybe it's different where you are but I have a hard time believing that everywhere you go wifi is available to you. And no matter how many wifi spots you might have they won't work when you are driving.

EDIT:

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. I expected a funny picture showing why this is all bullshit, but it never showed up.

I got an iPhone 3G about a year and a half ago, and my contract renewal/upgrade period is coming up preeeettyy soon :) So this is timed pretty well for me.

I just wish it was possible to load songs onto the things without using iTunes, WITHOUT jailbreaking them. I goddamn hate iTunes. I remember when I first got it, and just sat there facepalming as it attempted to sync the entire 240GB of music I have on my computer, onto the 16gb of my iPhone.

I got an iPhone 3G about a year and a half ago, and my contract renewal/upgrade period is coming up preeeettyy soon :) So this is timed pretty well for me.

I just wish it was possible to load songs onto the things without using iTunes, WITHOUT jailbreaking them. I goddamn hate iTunes. I remember when I first got it, and just sat there facepalming as it attempted to sync the entire 240GB of music I have on my computer, onto the 16gb of my iPhone.

I actually love iTunes, my main gripe with the android phone is I can't do it yet (apperantly there is an app for that which I need to check out).

You need to change your settings if iTunes was trying to load your entire library on the phone (240GB of music? really?).

And also, if your contract is up anytime this year ATT will allow you to switch over the the new iPhone now for the same price as you would pay when your contract expires.

What is there not to get?

Did you actually read 63's post? The thing I don't get is why you're even posting to me about this, when I was responding to something the complete opposite of what you are saying.

SixThree said:
You need a constant internet connection or the vast majority of apps are pointless. You also better not have a smartphone of any kind.

When I was actually using apps on my touch, Mr. Limit, I was connected to wifi.

McDonald's wireless usually costs money.

It's free here lol

Most shopping centers I've been to don't have wireless. The place I was changing my tires at didn't have wifi. Nor does my gym.

Most shopping centres you have been to suck, then. Not the ones I go to. The cool kid ones.

Also, lift weights or something instead of using your iPhone at the gym LOL

And no matter how many wifi spots you might have they won't work when you are driving.

Why on Earth
would you use an iPhone while driving? We call morons like that Temporary Australians.

Back