I put on my robe and wizard hat

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys remember this competition? Remember how fun it was when I win? The the computer I had at the time couldn't actually run the bloody game but now I have a shitty netbook that just about run modern games and damn this thing is damn fun. Is anyone as late to the party as I am? Playing this with someone who didn't already know the game in and out would be great.

I love the casting system. It's just what I like; simple and easy to use where the complexity is in the mastering of it. You have everything from the start and can throw it around as you please. My general strategy is to run around with shield + 4 stone armour cast on myself and recasting haste all the time to move at a reasonable sort of speed and generally not make much effort to dodge attacks unless it's a boss. The big problem with this strategy is that the shield blocks healing and in the middle of frantic fights I keep confusing my spells. One of my major causes of death is accidentally casting shield + 4 health on myself when I'm trying to recover (for those who don't play, that puts a shield on me that blocks all healing).

My favourite attack strategies at the moment (they're still always changing) are shield + 4 fire cast either as an attack or as an area which creates a wall of fire that does insane amounts of afterburn damage (great for trolls) and casting rain (or just spraying water at the enemies) and then an arcane + cold beam at them that freezes them that does MAXIMUM DAMAGE.

What's everyone else's favourite strategy? What is great about the game? Will anyone play with me?

These questions answered, and more, in the following posts:

What? My Dell Studio 15, which can play much better looking games, has trouble with Magicka. I'm surprised your netbook handles it. It's a terribly optimised game.

I played it coop with my mate, and it lags like a bitch half the time, and we have server problems (over LAN) the other half.

So you need a good ping to play online? Shit my connection isn't great.

Bought it during the sale. On one hand I like it and on the other I hate it.

The idea is very solid and good. The casting mechanic is original and works well. The silly style of the game also fits well. The combat just bothers me. It's somehow too random and punishing. When fighting against two other wizards they might just get you in a stunlock of sorts and kill you in one second. This combined with all the glitches and bad checkpoint system (I've accidentally activated a checkpoint in the middle of an enemy horde I can't escape through a couple oftimes and have had to restart the whole chapter) just kinda makes me mad. The concept is good and I wish I could enjoy it more but it just makes me frustrated too often.

Edit: I haven't tried online co-op yet, might be more enjoyable.

Here's to hoping Magicka 2 fixes all this shit. Frankly those points are solid; I'm pretty damn good at Magicka, and even I think there are way too many parts that going solo on is ****ing SUICIDE.

A bunch of my friends bought it recently, so I've started playing it again, and I have to say that qfass wins games.

Ice-based attacks are usually much more effective, reallly. Large hordes of enemies will keep running around on fire, but if you freeze them solid even bosses can't do shit but take the damage. Especially because even when unfrozen they are slowed down a huge amount until they fully thaw.

Outdoor levels are where the Thunderbolt enchantment comes into its own, enemies that are wet take 10,000 damage per hit, which insta-gibs anything that isn't a boss.

EDIT: As a matter of fact, the final boss battle lasted about, oh, 15 seconds because the dumbass got himself wet. I slammed him for 10K six or seven times and his ass was grass.

Yeah with 2 people the game becomes ridiculously easy. One person wets, then the second person freezes while the first person just fires a normal beam. If you get those staffs which mean you can fire forever, you're set.

Yeah with 2 people the game becomes ridiculously easy. One person wets, then the second person freezes while the first person just fires a normal beam. If you get those staffs which mean you can fire forever, you're set.

If you have two people, one with the M60 and the other with the knife of counterstriking the game gets even easier. One person tanks and distracts while the other hoses down the hordes of enemies with bullets.

If you have two people, one with the M60 and the other with the knife of counterstriking the game gets even easier. One person tanks and distracts while the other hoses down the hordes of enemies with bullets.
I'm really digging this idea. I haven't played since I beat if after winning my own copy but I'd like to do co-op some time. Or arena might be fun too.

Add me if you want, I'm usually up for co-op on the weekends.

Back