I think the G-Man is Cave Johnson

It's pretty sad when Valve can't even announce a new male character without people flocking to find references to Gman. He looks nothing like Gman, especially his newer appearance in-game.

Stop trying to find theories about who the Gman really is, when it's time, Valve will show us who he is - if that ever happens.

It's pretty sad when Valve can't even announce a new male character without people flocking to find references to Gman. He looks nothing like Gman, especially his newer appearance in-game.

Stop trying to find theories about who the Gman really is, when it's time, Valve will show us who he is - if that ever happens.

That's one of the many reasons why Eli died in Episode 2. You only get a glimpse about Gman's character in Episode 2 near the end of game. I'll just be waiting for who they reveal Gman to be. It might be another game or two but o well.

I don't think it's totally out of the question that Aperture hired the G-man to plan Black Mesa's downfall. However there is nothing that could make me believe that the G-man and Cave Johnson are the same person.

Well, G-man was thougt of back in 98, where Aperture Science derfernatly wasn't thought of, and i find it hard to think that Valve have just included G-man in all these years (since 1998) without having an idea about who he's gonna be, and once were, and then decide while making Portal.. :D understand?

But interesting though...
Also G-Man stands for government-man, and Aperture science had a strong connection to the government back then.. Therefore Aperture Science could have hired an agent(G-man) from the government, to bring down Black Mesa..

anyway.. i don't think that's the case...

Yeah I wouldn't doubt that. Still trying to see how Cave could be Gman. The only Cave could be Gman is if he came across an entity that gave him his powers. Aperture Science and Black Mesa were long time rivals. So, that aspect can male us believe his employers were from Aperture Science. Gman never said anything about Employers in Half Life 2 its possible they died during the 7 hour war.

I maintain that the G-Man is Gordon.

Given that the G-man has such an ambiguous name(that valve gave him), why can't there be more than one? Perhaps they are a secret organization, doing work for all sorts of clientele for who knows what currency. Gordon is just one of them, but before he truly becomes one; There is more than one G-man, which explains why t(he)y can watch Gordon so often. All of Half-life is just a 'hazing' for Gordon, to see if he can become a G-man like them.

The G-men have such powers, that since Gordon is successful, he actually comes back in time to watch his own hazing, and cause it, so there is no time paradox.

This is the only post in this thread that makes any sense.

In one of the test chambers, Cave mentions not taking advice from a future self if you meet them on the course (or something similar). This seems to point in the direction of time travel being available at the time.

I know that everyone lets out a huge collective sigh every time someone says it, but if I were a bookmaker, the shortest odds would be on;

1) The Gman is Gordon
2) The Gman is someone we don't know, and therefore the Gman is the Gman (sounds crazy, right)

This is the only post in this thread that makes any sense.

In one of the test chambers, Cave mentions not taking advice from a future self if you meet them on the course (or something similar). This seems to point in the direction of time travel being available at the time.

I know that everyone lets out a huge collective sigh every time someone says it, but if I were a bookmaker, the shortest odds would be on;

1) The Gman is Gordon
2) The Gman is someone we don't know, and therefore the Gman is the Gman (sounds crazy, right)

Hmm? Gordon manipulating himself... Brilliant idea xD

And I perfected that theory BEFORE all this new information came out!

I think it's the most valid currently. We should stick with it.

Master of G-Man theories. I'm Ace. We're done here.

Well he clearly has access to a lot of theoretical physics shit so clearly he has something to do with either Black Mesa or Aperture Science. How else is he like a God Man? Oh wait, that's another possibility. He could be God :p

This thread is good for a hearty lol. It's hilarious that people make up things to support their theories, and for what? Oh congratulations, you look like you know your shit about characters/plot elements of a video game.
/GLaDOS's slow clap.

They have the same eyes...

I maintain that the G-Man is Gordon.

Given that the G-man has such an ambiguous name(that valve gave him), why can't there be more than one? Perhaps they are a secret organization, doing work for all sorts of clientele for who knows what currency. Gordon is just one of them, but before he truly becomes one; There is more than one G-man, which explains why t(he)y can watch Gordon so often. All of Half-life is just a 'hazing' for Gordon, to see if he can become a G-man like them.

The G-men have such powers, that since Gordon is successful, he actually comes back in time to watch his own hazing, and cause it, so there is no time paradox.

Gman stands for government man referencing to how he dresses and has a briefcase

Oh, that reminds me, Magnusson and Colonel Cubbage are also the G-Man.

I prefer to think of Alyx as the G-Man's mother, and Gordon as the G-Man's son, and Alyx as Gordon's daughter. Half-Life is pretty much an infinitely recursive Chinatown in space.

sadly enough this is more possible than most gman theories
Gman is a dead monkey combined with charlie sheen and chuck norris and is the red eyed man from the book wrinkle in time

and at the end of half life 1 the portal gordon freeman took lead to his room where he grabbed his stuffed elephant went night night not in stasis merely night night and after he woke up he slept through the seven hour war and man kind was already 20 years ahead in technology so he joined the resistance which will be revealed as the future PETA and the combine will be revealed to be led by the Predator and elmer fudd . Gman having tiger blood supported PETA .
and about the first game and opposing force well gman was bored and decided to kill millions of lives so he took the crystals.

so lets go with that till it is canonically revealed

I think this whole thing with the G-man and Gordon Freeman could have a connection to the developers wanting players of the game to be Gordon, so that's why they eliminated his ability to talk.

What I am saying is, we are also part of this whole G-man thing, the several million players around the world who play Half Life and therefore Gordon's character, down to the decisions he/us makes.

I quite like the idea of the G-Men. Like they're a race of men who can't pronounce 'S's properly and teleport around places.
Anyway, yeah. I think it's possible that the G-Man could be Gordon. It could really, easily, be him. I mean, in the G-Man's eyes, Gordon could possibly be a 'naive' version of his younger self. Perhaps trying to go back and fix his mistakes. But then again, the timeline would be pretty messed up. But it already is, really, with the use of teleports and what-not in the HL world.

Anyway, yeah. I think it's possible that the G-Man could be Gordon. It could really, easily, be him.

Easily? Oh come on, you think it'd be easy for Valve to announce that the G-Man is really Gordon from another time? The majority of fans of the Half-Life series would never accept it, myself included.

Caste defined the G-Man pretty well in one of his threads and I agree with some of his points. I see the G-Man as a plot device for the story, specifically a MacGuffin. He attracts our attention, his nature is left unexplained and ambiguous throughout the series, and he's not really central to the narrative. He's even used to foreshadow Eli's death. He's just a plot element.

But of course, in a thread like this, I'm probably wasting my breath. Go ahead and fantasize about how the G-Man is Gordon or Cave Johnson or how the cake isn't a lie.

I'm not saying it's definate... but it's an interesting theory - one that could be true. It could be Gordon from the future, perhaps going back to stop himself from making mistakes. However, just think - what would the game be like without G Man? Would they be the same, or different? This theory just explains why he follows Gordon (and Barney, Shephard.etc) around and dropping him confusing lines/offers throughout the HL universe.

Though I am the type of person to not go with just one theory. I like to consider them all. I read castes' theory and agreed with that one, too, which did change my perspective slightly. I am not one to just stick with one possible G Man. He could be used just as a MacGuffin to interest players so that people keep playing HL2 (aside from other reasons, not to mention the wonderful graphics and large multiplayer base). As I said above, the confusing lines/offers could be pointing towards a MacGuffin.

And as for the cake... it isn't a lie... it can be found! :)

I'm not saying it's definate
In fact, nothing is definate because why can't people spell that word right, but it is a definite fact that the G-Man is not Gordon. Go back and read all the other threads the mods have closed and neatly archived regarding the subject.
but it's an interesting theory
Not really, no. And simply positing that Gordon is the G-Man does not make it a "theory."
one that could be true.
It's impossible for it to be true. Gordon doesn't talk. You are Gordon. You are not the G-Man.

I'm of the mind that it's as yet undetermined. Like most serialized dramas, they're making it up as they go.

I will say that I think Cave Johnson being the gman would be pretty neat. I saw earlier in the thread someone say that it couldn't be true because it would represent bad writing. I couldn't disagree more; I think it's the going theory of Gordon playing the gman that is claptrap cliched garbage. That whole 'manipulating yourself through time travel' thing is a tired trope. About as interesting as finding out that Gordon is really Tyler Durden.

It's clear that Valve is tying the two worlds together. I mean, we're going to the Borealis, right? And that tie-in coincides with our getting the ONLY damn information we've gotten about the gman since HL1. I think it'd be a pretty neat move to cinch the knot and have all these loose ends come together.

I doubt it'll wind up being written that way, but it would be a hell of a lot more satisfying than G(ordan)-Man.

Back