I think the G-Man is Cave Johnson

JCLFJanet

Reaction score
So I posted this on the half-life wiki discussion page, but some 12-year old trolls took it down.

So I think the G-man is Cave Johnson (Aperture Science CEO), or at least an incarnation/representation of him. Here's why:

1.) The odd way the G-man speaks is similar to speech impairments suffered from someone who has had a horrible bought of mercury poisoning (like C.J. had).

2.) The G-man caused the Black Mesa incident. According to Eli, he's the one who delivered the crystal to Black Mesa that caused the Resonance Cascade. I think that he wanted to take out the competition (Aperture has presentations about competing with Black Mesa, etc.). By causing the Resonance Cascade, the G-man might have known that the military and the black ops would come in and totally annihilate Black Mesa in order to cover it up. Plus, the G-man reactivates the nuclear bomb in OpFor and it ends up blowing Black Mesa off the map (literally). I think that the combine take-over was just an unwanted side-effect of his plan to take down Black Mesa. That might be why he's trying to help take down the Combine in the HL2 series- he might regret causing the Combine invasion.

--> Johnson might also want to take out Black Mesa because he wanted control of Xen for use in their portal experiments?

3.) The way the G-man disappears and reappears might mean that he has access and use of a Portal Gun?

4.) They kind of look similar. They both have the widow's peak in their hair, and they have similar facial structures and body-types. C.J's nose is bigger and his eyes are brown and he seems older than G-man, so maybe G-man is Johnson from the past? The odd electric-green eyes the G-man has might just be a weird effect of being in a different realm or something?

It just seems like Valve is really emphasizing the connection between the Aperture story line and Black Mesa story line, so maybe this is the connection?

I dunno. Just kind of a weird thought I had.

1.) The odd way the G-man speaks is similar to speech impairments suffered from someone who has had a horrible bought of mercury poisoning (like C.J. had).
Hahahah did you make this up
3.) The way the G-man disappears and reappears might mean that he has access and use of a Portal Gun?
Nahhh
4.) They kind of look similar. They both have the widow's peak in their hair, and they have similar facial structures and body-types. C.J's nose is bigger and his eyes are brown and he seems older than G-man, so maybe G-man is Johnson from the past?
Yes this is from one not-necessarily canon illustration of him
It just seems like Valve is really emphasizing the connection between the Aperture story line and Black Mesa story line, so maybe this is the connection?
Except for how in Portal 2 they're like "oh yeah so the Black Mesa story line is p. much not gonna happen that much"

I maintain that the G-Man is Gordon.

Given that the G-man has such an ambiguous name(that valve gave him), why can't there be more than one? Perhaps they are a secret organization, doing work for all sorts of clientele for who knows what currency. Gordon is just one of them, but before he truly becomes one; There is more than one G-man, which explains why t(he)y can watch Gordon so often. All of Half-life is just a 'hazing' for Gordon, to see if he can become a G-man like them.

The G-men have such powers, that since Gordon is successful, he actually comes back in time to watch his own hazing, and cause it, so there is no time paradox.

No, try looking it up. It effects "cognitive thinking, memory, attention, language, and fine motor and visual spatial skills."

Don't double post.

REALISTICALLY THOUGH if something was messing with your speech centre it wouldn't give you a creepy accent - it'd just **** you up, you wouldn't be able to recall or pronounce words and you'd have difficulty making sentences. G-Man just has a creepy accent - his sentences are lucid and cogent and complex and well-formed, he just says words oddly ANYWAY THIS IS BESIDES THE POINT, G-MAN IS NOT CAVE JOHNSON empirical truth

I think I can sum up most of the communities feelings towards the possibility of the G-Man being C. Johnson.

No. Why?

Because it would suck.

Valve doesn't have the balls to write that poorly.

He uses regular Xenian portals, not a portal gun. Either way, it'd still be very difficult to traverse the facility with a portal gun, not to mention you can't clean them up manually.

Additionally, there are no pictures of Cave Johnson. HUUURRRRRR

There sure is

88729618.jpg

the people at valve must be very good poker players. they're very good at not letting anything slip. its been like 12 years and people still dont know who exactly the g man is. If they're gonna make a half life 3, i would bet that after episode 3 is out we still wont know who the g man is or who he works for. Thats just amazing to me for some reason.

the people at valve must be very good poker players. they're very good at not letting anything slip. its been like 12 years and people still dont know who exactly the g man is. If they're gonna make a half life 3, i would bet that after episode 3 is out we still wont know who the g man is or who he works for. Thats just amazing to me for some reason.

they probably don't even know themselves.

C Johnson is Gman's father maybe; its hard to tell the ages of the two men and in what time periods their ages correspond to

The only theory that makes sence about the GMan is that he's an alien whose taken human form thats trying to control Gordon for his or his employers benifit. Theres not a lot of evidence for this, but theres some.

What you're implying has absolutely no evidence for it. Sorry.

Geeman Theroy

Really, we will never know who he actually is.

I wouldn't be surprised if Valve didn't know who G-Man is. I personally don't mind if we don't find out in Half-Life 3, really it's his motives which are interesting.

G-man is neither human nor combine. You think the humans and vortigaunts are the only ones fighting the combine? The G-Man is a bureaucrat of one of these other races that have portal technology.

Notice in episode 2 he states that he "must abide by certain restrictions." Restrictions that his hierarchies have possibly set forth for him. His voice is speratic because he is not human but has retained a human form and has not grasp the English language or human language fully.

It is interesting he didn't allow freeman to stop the citadel from exploding right away, rather the vortigants had to save him. It would help if we knew what the g-mans intentions were. I don't feel he is out to save humanity, but whoever he is working for and the humans have the same goal. To destroy the combine.

I'm still with the belief that Valve hasn't decided what the G-Man is yet. And that is why Episode 3 is not out yet. They need to figure it out.

well I recall G-Man talking bout himself in OP4 . He said to Adrian Shephard that he "reminded of himself" . A man who can survive against all odds , pretty much like Adrian and Gordon .

I hope that they will end the Combine plot, reveal who/what is G-Man(optimistic I know) in EP3 and that HL3(release date 2023) is about Gordon's new task .

When I first glanced at the title, I thought it said: "I think the G-Man is Magic Johnson".

And that's all I'll remember from the thread-- Magic Johnson
The G-Man is Magic Johnson! By god, we've found it!

The only theory that makes sence about the GMan is that he's an alien whose taken human form thats trying to control Gordon for his or his employers benifit. Theres not a lot of evidence for this, but theres some.

What you're implying has absolutely no evidence for it. Sorry.

Maybe G-man refers to GLaDoS-man. In Portal GLaDoS tries to manipulate the player too....

stop, you are hurting me

If anybodies seen The Box, I think Gman is Arlington Steward; Freeman pushed the button at the end of Ep2 so Eli dies

Portal Gun?

Gman: Let's stare at Gordon for a few seconds..

Gordon: ...

Gman: Now I'll walk around the corner so that Gordon can't see me.

Gordon: *Runs around corner to find Gman*

Gman: *Whips Portal gun out of briefcase* *Portals away*

I must agree with your theory. I just had the same. So I googled it, and found this thread. I think the GMan is Cave Johnson, who is trying to fix his fail in the past - beeing contaminated (is this the right word?^^ my english is not so good) with mercury. He invented GLaDOS >while< he was poisoned. He said something like that there will be better times in the future. The GMan talks like GLaDOS! And he uses reverse psychological phrases aswell. The accentuation of his phrases is pretty much the same. So i think the Genetic Liveform is probabbly a copy of the genes of Cave Johnson. Crazy, but for me it sounds logical.

G-man is obviously not Cave Johnson nor is he Gordon Freeman or GLaDOS. G-man is Eli reincarnated. Let's be logical people.

I've humoured this idea as well, but when you think about it more carefully it just sounds really dumb... even though I'll admit they both look oddly similar.

Also, I think Valve has already mentioned they don't plan on making the portal and HL stories crossover anymore.

Portal/HL Story crossover

The Borealis, the ship where you have to go in HL3/episode 3, to destroy the microchip, belongs to Aperture Science...
At the end of HL2 episode 2 you can see the Aperture Science Brand on a container at the borealis. Dr. Kleiner talks about Aperture Science....
So There allready IS a crossover between the storylines of Portal and HL 2!

The Gman is Cave Johnson ;)

Damn you people for necroing this thread. The G-Man does not have a southern drawl and is not comically obsessed with shower curtains that can kill people.

He uses regular Xenian portals, not a portal gun. Either way, it'd still be very difficult to traverse the facility with a portal gun, not to mention you can't clean them up manually.

im pretty sure it is unknown how he moves around. plus he can freeze time and all that stuff.
i personally believe gman is paranormal in a way

well I recall G-Man talking bout himself in OP4 . He said to Adrian Shephard that he "reminded of himself" . A man who can survive against all odds , pretty much like Adrian and Gordon .

I hope that they will end the Combine plot, reveal who/what is G-Man(optimistic I know) in EP3 and that HL3(release date 2023) is about Gordon's new task .

finding out who gman really is would ruin the whole thing

Portal Gun?

Gman: Let's stare at Gordon for a few seconds..

Gman: Now I'll walk around the corner so that Gordon can't see me.

Gordon: *Runs around corner to find Gman*

Gman: *Whips Portal gun out of briefcase* *Portals away*

remember, he opens doors out of thin air, his portals are custom and on command

I had a similar theroy. hl1 its around 1998, in hl2 its 2020's in portal 1 its 1998. In portal 2 you've been asleep for 9999 days, which is 27 years. That means that Chell is given her "freedom" at the same time that The G-man wakes up Gordon Freeman at the begging of hl2. This could might mean that Gordon and Chell could cross paths! Chell reaches the surface only to find it destroyed and over run with combine. Mabey a Portal 3 that has Chell fighting combines with the Portal Gun! Also I have a Gman theory mabey gman is Cave Johnson who fakes his death in order to go to Black Mesa and sabotoj the Lambada teams ground breaking expirement he accidentally causes the Residence Cascade. Then He tries to use Gordan to clean up his mistake. His Voice is all weird because of the Lunar Dust poisoning he had at the revieled in the middle of Portal 2. He can change his location quickly using his Portal Technology. The reason that he seems invincable is because of the repulsion gel. Gman used Gordan in order to control Zen trying to stop there attacks, but goes horrribally wrong so he freezes Gordan and wakes him up 20 years later. He can communicate with him so easily thru brain chips he had installed in Gordan, Like in Portal 2. The brain chips allow Gman to put Gordan in a Dream Like state and talk to him "Personally"

I don't think Valve themselves know what or who exactly is G-Man . My point is there isn't some paper in Valve's HQ that says "OK G-man is .... " . You get the idea.

at the begging of hl2
This could might mean
over run
Mabey
mabey
sabotoj
the Lambada teams
the Residence Cascade
Gordan
revieled
invincable
Gordan
horrribally
Gordan
Gordan
Gordan

I hope this means you're not a native English speaker. Lol I didn't realize Black Mesa had a team specializing in Latin dance.

I must agree with your theory. I just had the same. So I googled it, and found this thread. I think the GMan is Cave Johnson, who is trying to fix his fail in the past - beeing contaminated (is this the right word?^^ my english is not so good) with mercury. He invented GLaDOS >while< he was poisoned. He said something like that there will be better times in the future. The GMan talks like GLaDOS! And he uses reverse psychological phrases aswell. The accentuation of his phrases is pretty much the same. So i think the Genetic Liveform is probabbly a copy of the genes of Cave Johnson. Crazy, but for me it sounds logical.

This entire rebuttal will be in spoiler tags for the sake of not spoiling Portal 2.
You're wrong because Cave isn't GLaDOS, his assistant Caroline is, which is revealed at the end of Portal 2 by GLaDOS herself. Gman doesn't talk like GLaDOS. It's not logical.

EDIT:
I had a similar theroy. hl1 its around 1998, in hl2 its 2020's in portal 1 its 1998. In portal 2 you've been asleep for 9999 days, which is 27 years. That means that Chell is given her "freedom" at the same time that The G-man wakes up Gordon Freeman at the begging of hl2.
How do you know that? I thought the date of portal wasn't confirmed, and the relaxation vault is broken, so we don't know how long she's been out for.
This could might mean that Gordon and Chell could cross paths! Chell reaches the surface only to find it destroyed and over run with combine.
No.
Mabey a Portal 3 that has Chell fighting combines with the Portal Gun!
No, if you actually beat portal 2, you didn't get a portal gun as GLaDOS put you to the surface, but she did give you your old companion cube (which DOES NOT have secret powers, before you say it does).
Also I have a Gman theory mabey gman is Cave Johnson who fakes his death in order to go to Black Mesa and sabotoj the Lambada teams ground breaking expirement he accidentally causes the Residence Cascade. Then He tries to use Gordan to clean up his mistake.
No. Cave didn't fake his death, he was killed from Mercury poisoning. If you played Portal 2, you could hear him having an emotional breakdown about lemons and setting houses on fire.
His Voice is all weird because of the Lunar Dust poisoning he had at the revieled in the middle of Portal 2.
Yes, that's your only sound point.
He can change his location quickly using his Portal Technology.
No, he cant, he uses Xen portals, or some other form that we don't know.
The reason that he seems invincable is because of the repulsion gel.
That doesn't even make sense. Repulsion gel pushes things, it doesn't make you invincible.
Gman used Gordan in order to control Zen trying to stop there attacks, but goes horrribally wrong so he freezes Gordan and wakes him up 20 years later.
No.
He can communicate with him so easily thru brain chips he had installed in Gordan, Like in Portal 2. The brain chips allow Gman to put Gordan in a Dream Like state and talk to him "Personally"
Brain chips? Where the **** were brain chips mentioned?

That doesn't even make sense. Repulsion gel pushes things, it doesn't make you invincible.
Yeah, not to mention that the gman isn't entirely blue.

Brain chips? Where the **** were brain chips mentioned?
In one of Cave's early test chambers, I think the 2nd or 3rd repulsion gel one, he says "if you're a member of the zeta (something) team", and then goes on to say that they inserted very small "postcard size" computer chips into their brains, but they probably haven't even noticed.

Back