i will stfu now> DEAR EARTH, the end

VirusType2

Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a new computer, and Im new to forums, and Im new to THIS forum.
---Warning, LONG. Im sorry everyone, I seem to have gotten lost in MEMORY lane and I just reallized Ive been typing for like an hour.--- I could be wrong on some or many of my facts becuase its from my memory,. but I just wanted to give some of these young guys some perspective on how badass half-life2 really is, and cant wait to see what the future will bring....
(wow I remember this NEW company called ..
..Electronic Arts...they really put some time into their programs((and still do)))
what it was like for me to program with 1K byte RAM (or was it 16k?-either way it wasn't even that long ago(( 19 years))and black and white graphics that had pixels that were nearly the size of todays processor chips----
-Technology and the Internet has changed so fast while I was playing Dreamcast, Xbox, and playstation2. I hadn't used a PC in so so long. Anyway this computer I bought is like 12 zillion times faster then my last PC. It is slow compared to most of the guys I see posting around the internet, but I've upgraded some things to make it more powerfull.
-Im gratefull for what I've got so don't tell me to buy a new computer, it was $200... with a 17" flat screen and CD burner. Oops, I paid $300 for a stand alone home stereo CD burner couple months ago.
-Hell, Windows Xp costs $100 and $100 so everything else was free- I don't regret buying a celeron. I bought it the day after thanksgiving. BIG SALES. I also picked up a 60 minute power out backup surge for 20 bucks, a norton complete internet security pack for free ($100, $100 rebate!) sweet deal right..
-Im an ex-hobbyist game programmer, started on the first home computer ( i think - maybe the IBM was still a buisiness machine-) a black and white(before color) Timex-Sinclair! I believe it had a hefty 1K byte of RAM, my brother had the expansion pack on his...boosted it to a brain melting 16KB, but you had to tape it on the back, if it fell off it would crash and you lost your source code! -- OMG you used to save your data to a music tape with a tape recorder. lmfao ( i made Pac-man on the newer version of Timex-sinclair that came out years later ((it had 8 colors.))
10 REM this sux
20 goto 10
-the 16K memory expansion was like the size of a huge transformer.. those kind that clog up 2 or 3 slots on your power strip .
-I worked up to Microsoft Visual Basic about 10 years ago and figured out how to do simple artificial intelligence. When my hard drive crashed, I lost a lot of hard work. I gave up on PC's and programming, but Im back interested in starting a career in video game programming now, and Im going to get into school this year. I'm going to start building the ultimate machine this month.
-My brother has been working at AOL for some years now and worked on the code for the popular Win-Amp player. He was a pioneer and was uploading and downloading stuff to BBS Bulletin Boards since the invention of modems.
- Then came Atari home computers-Extremely cheap, but slightly powerful, competing with Apple and IBM were battling it out, and Atari almost, and then did go bankrupt. To this day Only Apple and IBM PC's remain. Have any other companies tried to compete? I dont think so. This is worldwide. Then in a bold move-IBM allowed other companies to sell PC's built off the IBM architecture[[[ IBM compatibles]]] [[the PC as we know it was born]] , WHILE Apple never let anyone else make hardware for their platform, and thus Apple computers are very stable(and expensive) BUT IS MUCH SMALLER MARKET-I always hated PC's for being too crashy, problematic, complicated, and therefore was a hardcore console gamer. BUT HELL, NOW everything is made in china and i got a pretty good setup for $200. thanks IBM for licensing out your IBM creation. But after I bought this computer, and hooked it up to my broadband, I became hooked. (my last PC was like a 486 (44Mhz)?
Anyway Half-Life 2 is definately one of my favorite games of all time. Thats why Im here! The work they put into it is simply amazing, It's not just another game using rag doll physics to make the game. I am so impressed by the details! It could only be done out of love for programming games, not money. The levels are Solid throughout, not just a few cool levels and then a bunch of lack luster levels like I see so often.
-This forum kicks Butt becuase of the people that post on here, especially the moderators.
(my final console game of this generation of consoles may be gran-tourismo 4) ((I haven't finished Fable yet. Thats a great game BTW))
getting a new motherboard, processor, 2nd hard drive, possibly an ?Nvidia? AGP card within a month or two.

could you maybe put a couple of blank lines in between the paragraphs? it might just make it a bit easier to read. (I could copy and paste it into notepad and do it myself.....but it'll help countless people)

Ive been awake 3 days and it is painful.

It seems there are 2 basic topics:

1 My background

2 Video Games background

its very run-on I appologize.

I am new and dont even know how to edit it.

If you edit it, I would be gratefull but u should use wordpad becuase notepad is too small Im thinking.

If you do read it I hope to hear what u have to say.. BTW was commadore/amiga part of Apple?

i forgot to mention Radio Shack's "Tandy" computers.

I am interested in hearing from people that remember the things I talked about.

Im still learning how to work this computer.

I love textures I will stfu now.

im coming on 17 this march, and have been using computers ever since the days of DOS. at a young age i formatted my dads PC from the BIOS (yes, u could do that in those days). i think it had no more than 16MB RAM. it had an amazing state of the art 2x CD-ROM, which was also noisy as it read CDs. it was added alot later on. same with the sound card, it was amazing when we first had it installed.

guess what else, the CPU had no fan!!! disgraceful. the box im sure was alot bigger than they are nowadays. it had a TURBO button on the front, WTF!? also had a lock and key but the key was always lost.

but hey, it ran Duke Nukem 3d perfectly!!!!! as well as Wolfenstein 3d and Doom (original, not 3 ;) )

recent computer my dad got, well he buys them through his work, hes a software engineer, so no income tax and no vat (sales tax) on it, pretty decent actually. next pc was the Dell RMX400 or something, 400MHz with 128MB RAM. was upgraded to a Voodoo 3 2000 AGP with 16MB.
then is the Dell Dimension 8300 or something, just a year and a half ago. P4 3.2 with HT 1Gig RAM Radeon 9800 Pro and two monitors.

then i got myself a part time job at tesco, and built myself this 2.8E 512MB DDR400, Radeon 9550 256MB, yaddayadda. fried the graphics card tryin to attach a Arctic Cooler which didnt fit.
to this day, its got a Radeon 9800 Pro Atlantis (256bit) with 1gig dual channel, and a DVD-ROM (half life 2 forced me to get one with s**tty steam, i installed the files over network but then to unencrypt them wanted the DVD in. i managed UT2004 by installing over network and a patch made it no-DVD) now im waiting for my next paycheque and im gettin . . . WATERCOOLING!!!

then il post back using another computer about my bad experience

well there goes some pointless sad lonely story about me, which isnt even worth readin, yet writin even.

ps to edit ur posts, be logged in and on the bottom-right on ur message, beside Quote i think, it should say Edit

i too will now stfu ;)

furiousV said:
guess it didnt kick off huh?

not sure if you ment my thread kick off meaning take off as in people posting or me getting kicked off the site for such a ghey topic. lol

anyway, I saw an edit button before, but its been gone since my first day... it is eternally stuck all jumbled, and its also in the wrong category, should have been in "newbie say hi forum". sorry all.

lol. it is all about hardware though.

kicked off as in "its rather interesting"

Back