ID Software Bought By Bethesda Parent Company, ZeniMax

Shit.

I won't be looking forward to Doom 4 anymore.

Well maybe there is some hope....

EDIT: I'm not saying they won't be good, but the new games won't have the same "Style" as the rest of the Quake, and Doom series.

Can't help laughing at:
idzeni.jpg

Bullshit. Obviously you didn't even read the article you posted. This is a good thing you ****ing imbeciles.

Uh oh, more games that I won't buy anyway.

ID hasn't made a quality game in so many years, I truly don't give a shit.

So you pay for a shitty game like FEAR2, and call Doom 3 a bad game?

Right...

At least this way we can cycle through the new shitty ID games faster (if they get more publishing support like they say through this deal and a better pipeline for making games).
Or the quality might actually improve. D:

I actually liked Doom 3. Their games since then haven't been much of anything though. The only single reason Quake 4 was any good was because Peter Stormare voiced one of the characters.

I think id has been managing that on their own since Doom 3.

Exactly what i was thinking. The last game from Id I really liked was RTCW, and that wasn't even developed by them! So in reality the last good game Id has made without any outside help has been Quake 3... 10 ****ing years. They might as well stick to making game engines, oh wait they're not that god at that either...

/rant

Uh oh, more games that I won't buy anyway.

ID hasn't made a quality game in so many years, I truly don't give a shit.
Lol, well that's the whole issue. They are a small studio and can't work on all their games. Therefore it could be 10 years between sequels. EDIT: Remus beat me to it

They have some quality intellectual properties, so lets hope they can give it back to us.

Oh id, you sellouts. It may provide financial security, and expand their reach, but I do not believe this is anything to applaud. id have proven themselves truly incompetent in the recents years (see: Doom 3), and their up and coming title, (scoff) Rage, will not deliver. Bethesda are an appalling publisher, not only in that their games are woefully mediocre, but in that they are unashamedly money-mongers.

I actually liked Doom 3. Their games since then haven't been much of anything though. The only single reason Quake 4 was any good was because Peter Stormare voiced one of the characters.

That was developed by Raven Software, and it wasn't 'good' at all. It was significantly worse than Doom 3 itself. The horror of it.

*cough* call of cthulhu *cough*

That was developed by Raven Software, and it wasn't 'good' at all. It was significantly worse than Doom 3 itself. The horror of it.

Yeah, which brings me to Raven Software. Raven and Id are like two sides of the same coin. Both were great once now they're content with mediocrity and making a quick buck. After what Raven did with Quake 4 I have no hope for RTCW 2, and from the trailers it seems my fears are coming true.

I didn't mean to imply it was developed by id, which I knew it wasn't, but that doesn't change much since id was still part of the process. And yes, it is much much worse than Doom 3. I only hoped to make a slight funny by saying the one "good" thing about it was Peter Stormare.

You're right - id were involved. I do believe Tim Willits oversaw development, whose marvellous contribution to Doom 3 was ensuring all of the, and I paraphrase, "Cool stuff was thrown at the player as early as possible."

Doom 3 was pretty fun. I haven't liked anything related to them since.

RAGE will be awesome.

Bizarre as this news is, it kind of makes for a good fit. IDs game have been lacklustre, but their engine tech is pretty good and always at the forefront. Quibbles on game quality aside the one area where I think Bethesda really lack is in the visual richness of their games Vs other developers such as Bioware. Having their own game engine team should make for a considerable improvement to their product line with future releases.

I'm quite optimistic about this. Bethesda aren't nearly as bad as quite a few people around here like to suggest (it's become almost trendy to bash Bethesda - a scapegoat for why we dont get decent, thinking man's PC games any more) and, like Kadayi said, ID have great talent when it comes to the tech side of things. A good match.

I'm quite optimistic about this. Bethesda aren't nearly as bad as quite a few people around here like to suggest (it's become almost trendy to bash Bethesda - a scapegoat for why we dont get decent, thinking man's PC games any more) and, like Kadayi said, ID have great talent when it comes to the tech side of things. A good match.

A lot of it I think comes down to the fact that Bethesda throw a lot of quantity at you rather than quality, where as with Bioware its the reverse. Hopefully with ID producing their engine tech in future rather than having to rely upon outfits like Gamebyro they should find themselves in a better position to address the quality issue. Whether they do is another matter, but certainly they should be look at what Bioware are doing with the facial animations and speech in their games and say 'we can match that'.

Can't say I'm that fussed. If bethesda don't do anything to id like they say then what difference does it make to the games made? And besides I agree with the sentiment of 'meh' on id's games.

Doom 3 was crap
Quake 4 was crap
Wolfenstein looks like crap
Rage seems ok :|

Yes I know some aren't dev'd by id but they are still id IPs and do oversee them

All I really want to know is in which direction they'll be taking Doom 4. It needs to go back to pre-Doom 3 awesomeness.

I'd like nastier gibs with chunks of matter that fly out and stick to various parts of the building, dangling there and dripping onto the floor. I used to work at a slaughter house. You can't phase me.

ID has not made a good game in decades now. They may have decent prowess when it comes to engines, but what good is an engine if you can't put out a good game with it?

Did any developer put out a decent game using the D3 engine? So far as I know the "best" was Prey, and that was a pretty mediocre game, at least in my opinion.

Maybe this will actually help them rather than hurt them.

ID Tech 5 looks like an awesome engine, I'm interested to see what a Bethesda game would be like on an engine that doesn't suck. Still, it's never good to see an independent company sold out, no matter who it is.

Why do you guys hate Doom 3 so much? It wasn't the best thing ever but it was a decent game.

It wasn't the best thing ever but it was a decent game.

It was a decent game after I had made a dozen modifications to it. Good thing the game content was so easily accessible in those archives.

Really it was an ok shooter, scares, firefights, explosions, always had you going to do something. The only gripe I had about the game was the gun had some very satisfying kick, but the bullets were weird, they life big circle bullet holes and the guns could've sounded a bit better. Other than that it was pretty fun. It got a bit repetitive but what FPS doesn't to some degree?

I want to eat John Carmack's brain to gain his knowledge. That's how it works isn't it?

Whether it works or not at least you get to eat a human brain.

To be honest, id aren't the developer they once were. Their last good game was in '99, they're no longer innovators, I think this is just the first step is the dissolution of id as a game developer. I don't think Carmack will hang around for long, he's used to being the boss and I don't think he's the kind of guy that will take well to being told what to do, he ain't a company man.

Carmack pretty much is id at this stage, no other key members of the "dream team" are still there, so if Carmack goes Zenimax will probably keep id around as a label, but in a capacity no more than what Atari is, just a well-known brand name.

Bethesda aren't nearly as bad as quite a few people around here like to suggest (it's become almost trendy to bash Bethesda - a scapegoat for why we dont get decent, thinking man's PC games any more)

That's not really it. They are just bad designers.

I've enjoyed Bethesda's games, flaws and all, and reviews have been positive for both Oblivion and Fallout 3. In no way are they bad developers - you just have to have a look at the tripe floating around these days to see what bad developers churn out. On the scale of things i'd say they are pretty good developers.

This isn't a bad thing.. really, it just means ID get more money to make their games surely. It's not like Bethesda are going to rape the studio and put their own peons in place.

Back