Irrational Games shutting down

Glad I decided to pirate Infinite instead of paying a dead company

I guess this is what development hell can do to developers, costs go up as you keep scraping content that was spent months if not years on. The citizen kane of video games apparently didn't make enough money for 2k to care.

All in all BSI was a dumbed down bioshock game with waifu shit and terrible writing.

At least BSI was such a "smart" game for "smart" gamers", right?

orY6X2O.jpg

Eh, I enjoyed Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite a lot.

It did sound like the company was having a lot of internal problems when they began shedding employees prior to launch. Sucks for everyone who lost their job.

I just hope they don't give the franchise to a copycat developer to push out sequels like Bioshock 2.

Infinite didn't do it for me really, it was worth one playthrough but the combat was just ****ing horrible. Ken Levine is a tightass he does belong in the indie sector. I hope he wasn't responsible for them dissolving because a lot of people lost their jobs when they could have probably just sold the company.

Im going to miss them. I have to be honest, despite loving valves work, and the half life series, I did vote for Bioshock as game of the decade. Man I remember the first time i played Bioshock, it like changed my world, because up to that point, I was mostly raised on nintendo games. I don't exactly understand why there shutting down, they seem pretty successful (Ignoring you Bioshock haters) I just hope at the very least, this means that even better games are coming our way.

Eh, I enjoyed Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite a lot.

It did sound like the company was having a lot of internal problems when they began shedding employees prior to launch. Sucks for everyone who lost their job.

I just hope they don't give the franchise to a copycat developer to push out sequels like Bioshock 2.

but Bioshock 2 was great, It has the best mechanics of the series imo. If those people do the next Bioshock, Im okay with that.

but Bioshock 2 was great, It has the best mechanics of the series imo. If those people do the next Bioshock, Im okay with that.

I just found the second visit to Rapture to be boring. I wouldn't like to see a bunch of sequels set in Columbia again, endlessly refining the same game over and over again. The mechanics might get better for it, but the pleasure of visiting a new place that I associate with the other two games would be lost. It's the main draw for me.

So I'm guessing the IrrationalTime idea will need to get scrapped? awww

I just found the second visit to Rapture to be boring. I wouldn't like to see a bunch of sequels set in Columbia again, endlessly refining the same game over and over again. The mechanics might get better for it, but the pleasure of visiting a new place that I associate with the other two games would be lost. It's the main draw for me.

I agree on that.

To this day, I still don't fully understand the hate that Infinite gets. I had a ton of fun with it. I'm not saying it was better or worse than anything else, just that I had a lot of fun with it. And that's all I expect from video games: fun.

To this day, I still don't fully understand the hate that Infinite gets. I had a ton of fun with it. I'm not saying it was better or worse than anything else, just that I had a lot of fun with it. And that's all I expect from video games: fun.

This. On so many levels. Anyone with a different opinion from this is wrong and you should die and I hate you.

people kinda started bashing it after it was so hyped. Dont know how to describe it. First everyone in the world says "BEST GAME EVER" and then people start picking some features and start saying "this game is terrible"

I think a lot of it stems from how much love it got at release. There were people on this very forum ejaculating to the thought of it. I remember one thread where I mentioned that it looked like it wasn't all that great, and then there was like two pages worth of posts telling me how wrong I was and that in should buy it immediately. When I did finally buy it on a half off sale I was thoroughly underwhelmed. Its just not as good as people originally said it was, and not as good as people still say it is. People too easily forgive the flaws of a game when there's one aspect pulled off very well. But when that one aspect isn't someone's cup-of-tea then all the flaws become apparent.

also with more playthroughs I saw more and more flaws, when I played 1999-mode, even more. Still its a great game imo.

What are these flaws I'm not seeing? I mean sure the gun fighting couldve been better but, where did this game "fail?"

The one thing that struck me about BI was how beautiful it was. I had played some games like Metro: Last Light and ARMA 3 on very high settings, but Infinite was easily the most visually appealing to me. The gunplay and level design left something to be desired though, I really wished they had used more rail sections to create more open environments.

The rail sections provided some of the most fun combat, because it was dynamic. The streamlined "heres a bunch of bad guys, shoot them to advance" gameplay that was found in the rest of the game was meh at best, but those rail sections were super fun. Plus that one "boss" type battle using the ship with the rails had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Loved it.

Ken Levine was the face of irrational, if he and most of the senior development team leave, they shut down the studio--so it's still somewhat of a questionable series of events. I think it's all around unfortunate but Ken Levine obviously wanted out and knew he'd take the lion's share with him, apparently without establishing any kind of new hierarchy.

What are these flaws I'm not seeing? I mean sure the gun fighting couldve been better but, where did this game "fail?"

Most people point to the story on the "multiple outcomes" where it tried to pull an Inception, that's where the majority of the criticism comes from other than dumbed down gunplay.

I've been posting on this board since 2003

You are who you post. Your past, erased. You have now been posting here since late 2009. That makes you my slave.

I've no problem with the latter! The former though...
Anyways, hopefully the talent will find other outlets in the form of more games.

If high expectations killed infinite, which seems like a believe-able thing, I cringe for the absolute hate and torture half life 3 will get regardless of how great it is.

Here's another person saying it: the ending felt forced and contrived and the combat plays like a shooter from the 90s.

the 90s had the best shooters.

If high expectations killed infinite, which seems like a believe-able thing, I cringe for the absolute hate and torture half life 3 will get regardless of how great it is.

yeah but Bio Inf has obvious flaws, what I tried to point out is that people started exxagerating because it was so hyped.

****ing loved Infinite and currently loving Burial At Sea. Real shame about Irrational and the people losing their jobs. Seems a lot of AAA studios are going the same way.

You are who you post. Your past, erased. You have now been posting here since late 2009. That makes you my slave.

Past isn't erased. You are not enough of a factor to tell you who else I have posted as

Back