Is cheesy metal back in style?

I started drooling and my eyebrow was twitching.

Also, somehow I knew what this was before I clicked... maybe it was my friend forcing me to watch this on demand five times in a row.

Dragonforce....bleh.

This music makes me giggle.

Giggle.

F*ck that word looks wrong.

Wow, that was awesome, it even had spaceships! How can you say a Metal video with spaceships sucks? It combines 3 of my favourite things Metal, Sci-Fi and Video Games! Granted, sucky metal.

Dude, if you can play as fast as Herman Li (guitarist), I will bow to you.
And when you can play drums just like them, I will kiss my butt. If I can.

Seriously, they aren't serious, they are in it for the fun.
And dude, belive it or not, in Europe the power metal scene is huge.

Dragonforce > most stuff ya'll listen to.

who cares? ywngie malsteen could play circles around him, doesnt make him any better

please I grew up on 80's hair metal ..dragonforce = cheesy

Fast doesn't mean good. Vast majority of metal drumming sounds like gash, so I wouldn't want to.

who cares? ywngie malsteen could play circles around him, doesnt make him any better

Still. Does that mean you can play like him?

K then. I listen to them because, for one thing, they are excellent musicians, for another, I love power metal.

And I listen to everything from classic rock to death metal. So I kinda know rock inside out. Not saying i'm god or anything, but I have a better idea of what metal is than most people, seeing as I listen to it.

Also, fast means good AT playing (ie, skill=control and ability to not knock over things, lol), doesn't mean good at making good music. They make awesome music, though. Great running music... Cheesy lyrics (all power metal), but I don't really care that much bout lyrics.

Still. Does that mean you can play like him?

what difference could that possibly make in determining whether they're cheesy or not?

K then. I listen to them because, for one thing, they are excellent musicians, for another, I love power metal.

And I listen to everything from classic rock to death metal. So I kinda know rock inside out. Not saying i'm god or anything, but I have a better idea of what metal is than most people, seeing as I listen to it.

Also, fast means good AT playing (ie, skill=control and ability to not knock over things, lol), doesn't mean good at making good music. They make awesome music, though. Great running music... Cheesy lyrics (all power metal), but I don't really care that much bout lyrics.

still cheese, anyway you slice it ;)

still cheese, anyway you slice it ;)

Cheese can still be fun! :(

I'm suprised you people are only starting to hear about Dragonforce, they've managed to build themselves some sort of personality cult on the 'net.

I dont care if its fast or technically difficult, it is not good music. It's not very good composition to have a super fast 2/4 drumbeat and 4 chords and then solo very fast over it, its simply being showy and cheezy. I prefer music that actually means something, thats sincere and that makes you want to listen to it over and over again.

Ew, that's awful. As theotherguy said, fast/difficult != good.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT, IS THAT A KEYTAR!? HAHAHAHAHAHA :LOL:

No, cheezy metal is not in. Power metal was sort of in in the 80s, but not so much anymore. Its still relegated to its little semi-underground niche where it will likely always stay.

Thrash metal, on the other hand, is making a nice little comeback thank the maker! Glad to see some of the old guard still alive and kicking with some seriously tasty offerings and shows of late.

dragonforce? now thats a dumb name

I will make a metal band and will name it sausages from hell and the album will hav a pic of a big breasted woman whit metallic bikini a sausage in one hand and a axe in the other whit skeletons and zombies touching her all over her while riding a flaming hipopotamus

I will be famous

and the music is well anoying,is like if all them get in a room and one say
"hey lets make music"
"but how?"
"I dont know but lets make a lot of noise whit this instruments to see if something come out"

Thrash metal, on the other hand, is making a nice little comeback thank the maker! Glad to see some of the old guard still alive and kicking with some seriously tasty offerings and shows of late.

Annihlator are supporting Trivium on their latest tour. :| I cannot even begin to see how the legendary thrash icons are supporting this one-year old hype/cash machine. :| :| :| It's... disapointing. And disturbing.

Fast doesn't mean good. Vast majority of metal drumming sounds like gash, so I wouldn't want to.
I agree, it is way to repetive.
That, and most Metal Drummers I know think they are hot shots and spend their life insulting other drumming saying they suck

Drumming is repetative in most genres - be it rock, or punk, hardcore, metal, indie, pop.. whatever. It's never really a major standout to me in a bands instrumentation, except with bands like Mastodon or Ephel Duath (aka, jazz influenced drumming, etc)

Dream Theater are a much better band musically.

Annihlator are supporting Trivium on their latest tour. :| I cannot even begin to see how the legendary thrash icons are supporting this one-year old hype/cash machine. :| :| :| It's... disapointing. And disturbing.

Yeah, Trivium really are shit. I saw them @ Newcastle when they were supporting Iron Maiden, they're boring as hell.

As for Dream Theater, I can't say I'm particularly keen on them either. I've tried and I've tried to like them, and I do like some of their instrumental sections of songs like the intro to Change of Seasons, some of Erotomania and some of Home (as well as some of In the Name of God and Stream of Conciousness, notice the use of the word 'some' a lot) but I just find them boring. Especially when LaBrie kicks in, I hate the way that guy sings. It sounds like he's singing pop music as oppose to Metal. Dream Theater are very technically talented musicians but they don't write great songs imo.

I agree that LaBrie has a shite voice :p

Yeah, Trivium really are shit. I saw them @ Newcastle when they were supporting Iron Maiden, they're boring as hell.

They're music does nothing for me, but the two times I've seen them live (Download 05, 06) they've been really good, I thought. Energetic, got the crowd involved, interacted alot and really got the crowd moving. The first time, at Download 05, they played at 11 in the morning and they pulled a ha-uggge crowd, and even then at that early they had thousands of people in motion. Impressive, but the music is horrid.

It's not so much their music though that bothers me, it's that Annihlator are a really old/old-school thrash metal band who have been around for years now and they're supporting Trivium who have been around for like two years. :| I guess the briefcases of cash have been exchanged well.

They did interact with the crowd a lot but their music is just very boring, some of it is early-Metallica'ish, that's all very good and well but you just get a sense with everything they do that they're trying too hard to copy some other band, and that it's all been done before by someone else. Not many bands today are completely original, and I can accept that, but I prefer bands that attempt to go in their own direction.

Their problem is that, for progressive metal, they are surprisingly un-progressive.

I think they're more of a Rush style of progressive (which isn't surprising given that they're heavily influenced by Rush), which isn't *that* progressive in all honesty. Certainly not as progressive as bands such as King Crimson and Yes were.

Well Trivium got bottled when the supported Maiden here :D:D:D

Personally i don't like Dragonforce...just too damn cheesy!

Gimme some actual heavy stuff with skill - Mastodon!

\m/

I hate dragonfoce, it's too hard to keep up with and get that rock/metal aggression feeling, and even if you do drink lots of caffeine and do, it still sounds like shit.

ComradeBadger said:
I'm thankful for the fact no kind of metal will ever be in style.
Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Alice Cooper, ACDC, Led Zepplin were pretty mainstream back in the seventies I hear. and if you aren't into metal, (I can see how it woulden't appeal to most people) then you probably should listen to those bands, there not like the modern bands which are mostly just about feeling pumped up. Very few metal bands become mainstream these days because they don't try and show any emotion other then anger/don't put enough work into a good tune that stays in your head and that you could sing along to.

Yeah, but KSE, Shadows Fall, Trivium, Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot, and Lamb of God suck.

Oh god, listening to Yngwie play what he calls "blues" is so laughably NOT blues, it makes me cry. However, I did not totally hate that video, just because it had a lot of flashy colors. The music was ok, i suppose.

edit: Oh my god, i am so sorry for the necromancy, i did not see the date, i was doing a search and forgot about it.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhO6_FLbdDs&search=drunkboy[/YOUTUBE]

The guitarist from He Is Legend could play faster, and possible better. He could probably still outdo him with his left index finger cut off.

And the drummer. . ya, he's really good. . so is the drummer from pretty much every major punk outfit in the world. . .

That, and does anyone ever get reminded of "GO, GO, POWER RANGERSSSS!!" whilst listening to Dragonforce?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhO6_FLbdDs&search=drunkboy[/YOUTUBE]

I can feel myself burning inside from the witchcraft of that video. What... the ****?

Most of Drangonforce's solos and such are studio edited to be flawless. They can't pull it off as good live. Herman's guitar tone (and, in my opinion, the steretypical metal tone with scooped mids and such) is boring and lifeless. Speed is only impressive if you're consistent. Not to mention it's usually just "Wow, this is fast!" Not "Wow, this is good music!"

People who judge good music by the speed at which it is played bore me. No offense or anything. I know they aren't serious, but at least throw in some variety. Every song is basically the same.

Also, I wasn't aware that power metal ever died? It's just been less mainstream.

EDIT:[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jeu4EMgqjwc[/YOUTUBE]

EDIT2: Wow, this thread is old.

or is the real question: did it ever go out of style?
I think not.

edit: Oh my god, i am so sorry for the necromancy, i did not see the date, i was doing a search and forgot about it.
Goddamnit, I actually read most of the thread up till this point while thinking of a response... nevermind :p

Back