Is The Gman Evil?

Is The Gman Evil

• Total voters
The Gman's mood at the beginning of Ep1 suggests that the last thing he wants to do to the Vortigaunts is 'agree' with them.

It's funny because, if you think about it, throughout the entire HL series the G-man--purely on his power to step in and out of timespace alone--could have completely solved everything. Absolutely everything, with just that crazy not-timestop. Even before the vortigaunts. Even during the seven hour war. The man steps in and out of time and space, and who knows what else he can do. He can make crazy visions, that's for sure. And he can teleport other people via his ability and lock them into stasis. Dude is crazy and we probably don't even know the half of what he can do.

So it's really rather funny--or worrying--that there's someone out there that can boss HIM around. This is a man who ignores the laws of the universe as we know them, and someone's out there telling him, "These are the rules. You must follow them." How powerful must they be, huh?

Or maybe they're just equals and have set up a system of rules to try and ensure they don't destroy each other and the universe.

And imagine how many other people he has "employed," even if not to the extent of Gordon. The unknown limits of his power are scary.

Or maybe they're just equals and have set up a system of rules to try and ensure they don't destroy each other and the universe.

I agree, I think he is very powerful but there are certain limitations to what he can do. Why else would he need people like Freeman to do his work in the mortal world, if he had no rules he would go in and do it all himself with the click of a finger.

Well, reading this thread has made me wonder: who are Gordon's contract holders, and what motives do they have?

But this can also lead to a further question, such as: why is Gordon, out of every other capable human in the world, the person they chose they employ? And besides, when did the G-man become his agent, selling his contract to the top bidder?

The Gman, like any good fixer, is aware of the value of staying inconspicuous - either that or his backers are. That, rather than any specific limitation on his power, explains his 'restrictions' and unwillingness to personally stick his oar into events.

As an entity as powerful as Gman, with direct intervention it might be possible to accomplish, say, a near-impossible coup against all odds, but only once - after that, the people you've wronged will recognise you as their enemy and array themselves against you. Imagine how high Gman's profile would be, and how many complications he'd encounter from all sides, if he had gone after Nihilanth or the Combine directly and personally.

Gman appears to be responsible for the resonance cascade, yet there's no indication that humanity are targeting him - quite the opposite, it's likely they've adopted an 'enemy of my enemy' attitude towards him. He likewise played a part in the destruction of the C17 citadel, yet, even though Breen probably knew of Gman's existence, there is no hint that the Combine are targeting Gman - all you ever hear them talk about on the radio is 'anticitizen one' (or however it is they refer to Freeman, I forgot) and 'Vance subprime'. He's deeply screwed things up both for humanity and the Combine, yet all the bullets go the way of Freeman who is merely Gman's tool.

I don't consider Gman omnipotent, but I do think he's capable of posing a significant threat to all sides. However, either he or his 'side' believe that it's better to keep a strong and sustained influence over events by means of clever resource management, as opposed to bringing all their own strength to bear in one shortlived instance. Maybe they'll opt for the latter strategy at some point in the future though, since it seems to be one of the logical finales for the HL franchise.

I love that he seems to be something in between lol. You can't really be sure about anything, can you? Sometimes it seems like he's trying to help Gordon/ make sure he's doing ok, but at other times, you're like... WTF? G-MAN, HELP ME DAMMIT.

Moments like when you're stuck in a zombie city with a crazy priest... Get what I mean? Maybe he lets Gordon get sucked on by headcrabs and shredded by combine is because he cares for him? :dork:

But like you guys mention, that might be his "employer's" work. "Restrictions" and all. I still can't see him as much of a fairy godmother type of character lol...

Oh crap. That just brought up a funny mental image.

It's funny because, if you think about it, throughout the entire HL series the G-man--purely on his power to step in and out of timespace alone--could have completely solved everything. Absolutely everything, with just that crazy not-timestop. Even before the vortigaunts. Even during the seven hour war. The man steps in and out of time and space, and who knows what else he can do. He can make crazy visions, that's for sure. And he can teleport other people via his ability and lock them into stasis. Dude is crazy and we probably don't even know the half of what he can do.

So it's really rather funny--or worrying--that there's someone out there that can boss HIM around. This is a man who ignores the laws of the universe as we know them, and someone's out there telling him, "These are the rules. You must follow them." How powerful must they be, huh?

I don't think that the G-Man can actually go to whatever time period he wants, maybe he can teleport or something but he hasn't shown anyway of going back in time, and he seems completely aware of what went on between HL and HL2 so perhaps instead of just warpping you or something he simply waited and tipped the odds in the Combines favour for his own reasons.

Is he evil? That sounds like a question that wont be answered in episode 3, or probably ever, i can easily imagine the ending to Episode 3 just being you in the G-Mans realm, he starts blabbing some nonsense no one really cares about, and then simply walks outs as emotionless as ever. To me that seems like the only fitting end, that is, if Valve continues their repuatation of pissing people off with continuous cliffhangars, but personally i could forgive them since the story is awesome either way.

P.S. If G-Man turns out to be Gordons father (very original, Valve) i'm going to rip my chair to peices and throw each one at my monitor just because i'm pissed at it for even thinking of showing me an ending so crappy.

the G-man and gordon (and eli...?) have a mutual relationship. G-man gets what he needs by screwing with gordon, but gordon gets what he needs (not dieing).

P.S. If G-Man turns out to be Gordons father (very original, Valve) i'm going to rip my chair to peices and throw each one at my monitor just because i'm pissed at it for even thinking of showing me an ending so crappy.

/facepalm

He isn't really evil, I must say, but we don't actually know. Cause sometimes he helped Gordon, and sometimes he didn't. Even the same with adrian.

I'd say he's neither 'good' or 'bad'. The question should be 'Do you think that the G-Man is an antagonist?'

To that, I say yes.

Hmm

I don't think he's really evil. I think he's cool because he's mysterious and he's just interested in Gordon's survival.

Back