It's time to play Half-Life 2

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In about 20 minutes from now (19:00 GMT) a very large number of Half-Life fans will be launching Half-Life 2 in an attempt, amongst other things, to get Valve's attention.
[br]
To put it in some perspective, Half-Life 2 is currently ranked about 30th in the list of top Steam games.
[br]
We will post more once this number has had time to grow. In the mean time, join in the conversation here.
[br]
Update: And... it's all over. Unfortunately Half-Life 2 did not quite make the top 10. But it did reach 11! Not bad at all and getting up to a peak of 13,216 concurrent players from the 3000 or so when we originally made this post earlier, is certainly not to be sniffed at. You can see the incredible spike in activity here

I'm not seeing 40.000 users playing HL2...

I want my money back!

Something to bear in mind is the Stats aren't updated live...

Am on it!

I'm quite surprised, and rather impressed, that this event has actually shown some movement. Even if it doesn't get 40k players.... um... 40,000 players... the 40k'ers will be on Retribution at the moment.... but yeah, right now it appears there are around the 13,000 mark players. Not bad considering the figures average about 800-1200 a day. I think we should be proud of our efforts! :)

I started about 45 minutes late, but I played for a good hour and fifteen minutes.

Started about 30 minutes before the event started. I had left a playthrough to the beginning of Anticitizen One last summer so I started from there and played until the end. Just finished.

Some people have been leaving disappointed comments. I'd say this was pretty ****ing incredible. The amount of people who started up the game and (possibly) played it just to participate in this event is massive. 13,000 is not a handful of people.

Color me cynical, this "play HL2, farm up minutes/hours of gameplay" is going to crash, and entirely worthless endeavor IMO. But what ever...

I think what's more important than how many people played or how long they played is that it made a lot of gaming news sites. Maybe with that, Valve will care enough to have some kind of response which is more than the nothing they've had for the past however many years it's been.

>Gabe sees statistics

"Well team, it looks like Half Life 2 is still entertaining the fan base! hold off on Episode Three for a while."

I dont' really care much for EP3 anymore, tbh.

Color me cynical, this "play HL2, farm up minutes/hours of gameplay" is going to crash, and entirely worthless endeavor IMO. But what ever...

I don't think you got the idea. This event is over already. It lasted about 30 minutes until the numbers started dropping. But the Call for Communication group is going to do more stuff like this.

And I don't think anyone really cares if Valve has any reaction to this.

And I don't think anyone really cares if Valve has any reaction to this.

Then what's the point of the group? Do they simply want to get together for the fun of it?

There can't possibly be a hidden motivation behind all of this.

Then what's the point of the group? Do they simply want to get together for the fun of it?

There can't possibly be a hidden motivation behind all of this.

Well, sure, it would be fantastic if this event received some attention from Valve but I think it's still stupid to call it a meaningless effort if it doesn't. The sheer success of it already makes it worthwhile.

The sheer success of it already makes it worthwhile.
Really?

The goal was to get Valve to communicate. Valve have not communicated. This has not been a success in any way.

Edit: Man, I can't believe I have 807 posts on here.

Really?

The goal was to get Valve to communicate. Valve have not communicated. This has not been a success in any way.

Incorrect. The overall goal (but not the only goal) of the group is to get Valve to communicate, yes. But, the goal of this event was to get Half-Life 2 into the top 10 played games on Steam at the time of the event. They managed to get to 11th and only around 1,000 players away from 10th. So in that respect, you're right, it wasn't a success. But saying it wasn't a success in any way is a little harsh. They did well.

Really?

Edit: Man, I can't believe I have 807 posts on here.

There's no success like failure, and failure is no success at all

Sent from my MB300 using Tapatalk

>Gabe sees statistics

"Well team, it looks like Half Life 2 is still entertaining the fan base! hold off on Episode Three for a while."

LOL. Yeah, bumbo to EP3/HL3. I'm having far too much fun playing HL2 all over again (started this last November for some reason). I'd forgotten how good this is. I'll DL EP1 & EP2 again when I get through with HL2. I hope EP3/HL3 doesn't make an appearance anytime soon or my plans will be scuppered!!

BTW, any word from Valve after this bizarre, 'Let's get Valve to talk ........ by all playing one of their old games AT THE SAME TIME' collaboration??!!!!

Dang I missed it, oh well Valve probably has better things to pay attention to now since they make plenty of money off of Steam now they don't need to make any products. They will soon probably switch their company info page from game developer to digital-amazon. Maybe we'll even get Japanese sex games in the near future. Yay!

Back