John Patrick Lowrie says Half-Life 3 is currently not in development

Well f*ck. At least we know what to expect in the coming years: nothing. I guess. Either way, f*ck you Valve. F*ck you, f*ck you, f*ck you. Jesus.

I can't access steam or even valves website. Both seem to be down. Guess some hacker agrees with Ascension.

I can access it fine. Maybe we should hack Valve's website. See what they got completed for now. :devil:

Can you (or anyone) post what was said? Even though i'm not sure I want to read it :cry:
BTW: steam is down for a friend too

I don't understand why people are getting so mad about HL3.

I don't understand why people are getting so mad about HL3.

People are significantly less mad on /r/HalfLife

People think that if they make a big enough flame war, Valve will reveal actual info on HL3. Valve won't, but that doesn't stop people from trying very hard to learn more in the only way they feel they can.

Why do you not understand?

Well first off, what do people get out of it? It's not like Valve is sitting on a complete Half-Life 3 that they play all day and laugh as others go without.

It also speaks to people feeling they are entitled to, or deserve, the game and information regarding it. Which is frankly silly. Valve have always done things their way for better or worse. A bunch of people getting huffy about it is going to get you less results than just being nice and asking Gabe. Which will also not get you much.

They do things at their own pace in their own way. Nothing can be done, so best to just relax and be patient. Valve are lucky that they can choose NOT to rush a game out before it is ready. If it were up to some fans, we'd have had 5 really poorly made HL games out by now.

Yyy. Aaa. Ok.

Well first off, what do people get out of it?

And what do people get out of arguing with each other? Nothing, but it's only natural. It's not like we LIKE to be upset with Valve or want to be. It's not a purposeful behaviour. But when a company treats you like Valve then it's normal to act in a certain way.

It also speaks to people feeling they are entitled to, or deserve, the game and information regarding it. Which is frankly silly.

Yeah, see, this is why I'm tired of all this bullshit associated with this game. Because on and on we go back to discussing matters like this and making the same old tired points - that Valve can do what they want, that we're not entitled to anything and that we just need to sit and wait.
Well, I actually think that we ARE entitled to news on HL3 and I don't think it's silly. Why?

Because Valve is a company that was founded and based around the notion of being open with the community, listening to your customers and being honest and responsive about what you're doing. Gabe's been saying that in basically every interview over the years. If you build your reputation around the fact that you're willing to communicate with people and then go silent for 6 years on your most anticipated game and pull that with your oldest and most loyal fanbase - yeah, I do think you should be pretty ****ing ready for a backlash. Which is what's Valve getting now and I want them to get more of it if this news spreads.

They do things at their own pace in their own way.

I'm sorry but if this news is true then doing things at their own pace means not doing them at all.

Valve are lucky that they can choose NOT to rush a game out before it is ready.
Keep in mind that all I'm saying has meaning only in the case Valve's not been developing HL3 over the last years. Which is what JPL's saying. I don't mind them pulling off the next Team Fortress 2 and developing the next HL for a decade before finally showing it. In that case their silence is pretty much justified. But it now seems they HAVEN'T BEEN developing HL3 at all. And they've decided to not even bother telling that to fans. A company which prides itself in treating its customers fairly. THAT is a disgrace.

If what JPL said is true of course.

You think children are going to bully Valve into acting differently?

I am glad that Valve do not listen to people who get all huffy and puffy online about them. If they did I shudder to think what kind of things they would produce.

Yeah, whatever. You've got a sexy voice though ;]

No, I don't have much hope Valve's gonna respond but it's worth a try. So I'm asking a favour of all of you here:

Spread this news as much as you can. I want to see Gabe's head stuffed with dollar bills on 9gag by the end of the day.

Already Gamespot, Kotaku and a few other sites reported on this. I want IGN to do the same.

Glad I have some redeeming qualities =p

The HL3 non development bit aside, I do find his talk on mocap much more interesting and frankly worth following up on. We know that Valve has on site motion capture facilities. So they may be trying to develop ways to better incorporate the player into captured scenes. I would very much like to learn more about that side of things. So thanks for that!

You can ask JPL about it yourself on his blog. I'm not gonna do that 'cause I don't want to stretch his patience with my charming personality anymore.

Oh, and one more thing: I'm not gonna lie, it would be nice if Valve Time wrote a piece on this news. Just saying :)

Well hang on guys, I honestly think this voice actor has no idea what he is talking about, when it comes to it. Like this post, and many other posts following the article are saying:
"Oh I don't think its a prank. He, like the general public, just doesn't possess even a remote understanding of what motion capture actually is or how it actually works. People in charge of film production often don't actually understand how it actually works (and they defiantly don't understand how animators work) and I'll bet there's a very similar situation in games.
Remember when Andy Circus said "animators aren't actors?" This guy is doing the same thing. He doesn't know anything about what he's talking about, but he thinks he does."

Anyway, what really bugs me is why haven't VALVE themselves, confirmed that Half-Life 3 will not be coming any time soon?
Is it that hard? But anyway, looks like time will tell...
Also, has VALVE confirmed any of these articles too be true yet?

What's a Half-Life 3? Is it some kind of iOS app?

Half Life 3 is the time required for a quantity to fall to half its value as measured at the beginning of the time period multiplied by a factor of 3. it is used for quantum mechanics.

much like how the speed of sound is measured in Machs or in Star Trek where a unit of speed is Warp (Mach 3 or Warp Factor 9).

Half Life 3 is the time required for a quantity to fall to half its value as measured at the beginning of the time period multiplied by a factor of 3. it is used for quantum mechanics.

much like how the speed of sound is measured in Machs or in Star Trek where a unit of speed is Warp (Mach 3 or Warp Factor 9).

Well that clears that up!

Yeah, Not matter how much I want the new HL game to be released, we can't ask Valve anything. We're not entitled to anything and they owe us nothing. And I feel better knowing they are experimenting and trying to make stuff better and not just another FPS with zombies. And Dota 2 is cosuming my time. I've been playing dota since 2007 I guess i can play dota 2 until 2015 and wait for more news :p.

I'm angry at this because of HL3 is not being made. It's what got me, and many others, into video games, Valve, and this site. Truly what I am angry at though is Valve and how they have handled communication with fans.

I believe in 2004 I recall Gabe saying that they need to do certain changes with how they make games so they don't take decades to make. I also recall him saying that he needs to be more open and honest with fans. In the years since HL2 how he has run the company and more importantly, his word that he needs to be more honest with fans is rubbish.

1. We have some excellent games since 2007. However some things just flat out ruined games and they don't care as they are raking in the billions (they make an estimated 2.5 billion USD a year according to 2007 estimates). Team Fortress 2 was an excellent game. That is until the Sniper vs Spy update in 2009 that added hats. The whole identification of classes and artwork just went straight out the window. Left 4 Dead 2 while a fantastic game is just really an expansion of Left 4 Dead 1 and to slap you in the face more, ported everything from the first game into the sequel stealing your money if you bought the first. Another Counter-Strike is great but really now? Another CS?
  2. The multiple fans picketing the front lawn for HL3 info, the Steam groups petitioning for some type of communication with Valve. Not too mention deaf gamers getting asked about how they felt about a new character possibly added to the universe. The mocking of fans they do all the time.
  3. The cool stuff they have been researching but have absolutely no impact realistically. VR helmets, contact lenses, bio-metrics, shrinks watching you play, etc. You don't need any of that stuff to create a fantastic game. They didn't need it for HL or HL2, they certainly don't need it now. It's probably them trying to get more money by going into different markets other than games but nobody wants a $250 VR helmet to play a game.
  4. They have around 400 employees. Gearbox the makers of the Borderlands series (let's forget about some of their recent games) only has 187. Rocksteady Studio the creators of the Batman series games has around 90. I picked these companies to show you that they don't have nearly as many people but still create some of the best games I have ever played. Again that is 400 employees all under one roof.
  5. The employees that have been leaving and are pissed off at Valve. These people are not jerks neither. They are really smart/talented people and some have been with Valve for many years. So they just get up and leave suddenly and are pissed off at them? Valve working environment is "supposed" to be a Utopia.
Really my conclusion is that Valve really are not there to make games any more. In fact calling them a game company is what they have to tell the IRS now. It's been like this for years now. What they do now as a once small company and now mega corporation is maintain their game library that make them money and maintain Steam. Really that is all you need to do. When your paid tons every year just drink the Kool-Aid and some didn't want to do that according to the recent people who were fired. Gabe Newell in fact is pretty much in semi-retirement. He is now 50 years old. He owns his own fabrication shop to make knives, etc.

Of course the voice actor could be in the dark and most likely is. I still stand behind this post though.

You guys do realize that post was in December of 2011, right? I don't know why it is coming back to "Popularity"

I can't stand all this "people shouldn't act like they're entitled to the next half life game" stuff. Valve announced another game was coming. They ended the last game with a huge cliffhanger. And now, more than 5 years later, there's no game and not a single word from Valve. They essentially won't even acknowledge anything unusual has happened. How is that not crappy customer service? Why shouldn't their fans be unhappy?

As I've said before, if JK Rowling finished Half-Blood Prince and then 6 years went by with no final Harry Potter book (and Rowling feigning "Harry who?"), wouldn't people have been upset? Would they have been scolded and told they were acting "entitled"?

You guys do realize that post was in December of 2011, right? I don't know why it is coming back to "Popularity"

It's the Half-Life community, people bring old topics back to life like nothing (not that that's a good thing). I'm actually finding people who are just now figuring out Breen knew about the G-man.

There are times I almost wish Half-Life 3 would never be made, and this is exactly why.

There are people who are screaming into the night, "I wish to consume MORE." You are demanding to give money to people who do not wish to take it until they are ready. You act as if this is somehow a personal affront to you. Do you truly feel that you are more invested in the series than they are? Would you, given complete control, actually believe that you would do a better job with the franchise than those who clearly are putting a lot of effort into it?

Not all activities are wastes. Portal 2, improved animation, slicker gameplay, fantastic visuals, sound and polish. This is a benefit to Half-Life 3. Team Fortress 2, CS:GO, DOTA 2, these games are bankrolling the company, as well as hugely popular in the own right. This is a benefit. Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, these have introduced much needed AI systems and improvements, scene construction, visual improvements and the always just introduced but never fully used randomization. This will be a benefit. Source 2 and Left 4 Dead 3, this is the test run for an improved engine that will be used for HL3. This is a benefit.

When you stop viewing the world from this childish binary "HL3 or Not HL3" angle you'll see that things are being worked on.

And when you put away that childish thing? Maybe you can also put away the notion that a company of some of the best talents and minds in the industry owe you something. All you have done is throw yourself at their feet while hurling money into their gold chariots.

Original Blog post was 2011, relevant discussion took place 2 days ago.

The thing is, each new engine there was a new Half-Life. Goldsrc and Source, instead Valve is going to release a sequel of a game nobody wanted. To me this is an insult to the Half-Life legacy.

I just wish the Left 4 Dead IP would be left for dead.

true dat rant

I also remember mentioning something to you the other night. I'll just repeat it here for the benefit of everyone else.

No matter how much you all want Half-Life 3, the second you complete the game's campaign and what other features it may or may not come with, you'll all jump on a brand new band wagon as you start screaming for Half-Life 4, regardless of whether or not it'll happen.

Love a franchise and a company sure, but stop with the totally over the top mentalities.

In actual fact, it could be very possible that the Valve developers actually become more and more frustrated every time some kind of insane outburst like this occurs. You never know, one day they might just turn around and say "Screw it, why should we bother if our fans are going to keep screaming at us negatively like this?"

1) Self righteous guy bugs a voice actor for information on a game title said actor is only cursorily involved in, and that hasn't been announced yet.
2) Everyone ignores the fact that IF he's done any work for the game and IF he has any real information on the game at all, that he would also be under an NDA.
3) Actor says "making gaems iz hard cuz mocap"
4) Actor thus infers that nobody is working on the game because its hard to make a game.
5) Everybody completely accepts this as being a thing that a video game developer might do.
6) Some of these people get mad about it, others show apathy, a few get mad at those getting mad, and a very tiny selection of people are skeptical of the validity this information.
7) Self righteous dude posts it all over telling people to get real mad so Valve will tell everybody to stop being retards and then self righteous dude can feel accomplished for having "forced" Valve to say something.

Did I miss anything?

snip list
Just about. I find it a little silly for people to pour their hearts out at something as insignificant as this. While I certainly like John Patrick Lowrie, I question him as a reliable source. However, I also find it equally silly for people getting mad at the people getting mad, as they seem to be more insulting. They're constantly calling them childish and having a sense of entitlement, and saying how much what they're saying is hurting Valve and that they should be punished. This is the internet, and while Valve has not been ignoring people's calls for answers about HL3, they're not going to be affected by this. Now, when Valve's internal network got breached back in 2003, that was a big deal. But internet gossip is going to brush right off and Valve will keep chugging along.

I still don't get why we're all arguing over something a voice actor brought up two years ago.

No matter how much you all want Half-Life 3, the second you complete the game's campaign and what other features it may or may not come with, you'll all jump on a brand new band wagon as you start screaming for Half-Life 4, regardless of whether or not it'll happen.

People would be too busy bitching about fakefactory turning Alyx into a prostitute to care.

Back