Jon Stewart catches Sean Hannity falsifying news footage

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/11/jon-stewart-catches-sean_n_353447.html

The tea party protests continued last week, as Congresswoman Michele Bachmann held an anti-health-care-reform rally on the steps of the Capitol. While she estimated that 20,000-45,000 people attended the event, the Washington Post reported it was actually more like 10,000.

Still, that is a sizable number of Americans exercising their right to free speech and assembly, and that warrants news coverage. But Sean Hannity and his team did more than cover the event. They not only inflated the number in attendance with their words, but actually used footage from a heavily-attended protest this summer to make this health care rally appear more popular. Hannity even pointed out that this was a huge crowd for a Thursday, when the protest footage they used was from a Saturday.

Jon Stewart and his team caught this discrepancy and ran with it, pointing out neither the color of the leaves nor sky in the tacked-on video matched that of the actual footage. They went on to mock Fox by adding more video to the interview, this time from Woodstock and the movie "300."

obviously Fox"news" is in on the deception. how anyone can claim foxnews is "fair and balanced" is beyond me. still foxnews is the highest rated news program in america despite peddling bullshit as if it's god given truth

the best part of this is that a news organization was bested by a comedian and has far more integrity than foxnews will ever have

the video is in the link. cant watch it till later tonight

There are threads about this popping up all over the Hannity boards.

And every single one of them is being deleted for "Contempt of Host"

So what? Jon Stewart does this every single show...

his show is a political sketch comedy, not a serious opinion show like hannity

under program genre Hannity is listed as "Political program" on wikipedia whereas the Daily show is listed as:

Comedy
Satire
News parody

the tone is completely different

In other words, a comedy show has more accurate news than Fox news.

his show is a political sketch comedy, not a serious opinion show like hannity

under program genre Hannity is listed as "Political program" on wikipedia whereas the Daily show is listed as:

Comedy
Satire
News parody

the tone is completely different

No, im saying that he points out lies and misinformation spread by news channels every show.

In other words, a comedy show has more accurate news than Fox news.
It gets proven again and again. They do have a liberal slant (of course, that statement isn't worth much because it is a comedy program), but it seems like the Republicans and their supporters just provide more material. It's nice to have a program that gives the news channels some much needed accountability. See "We're going to leave it there." And wtf is "contempt of host?" Figures that the Hannity website doesn't endorse open discourse.

In an effort to be fair and balanced though, libs can be douches too. It just doesn't seem as douchey when you're on the same "side" (sneer quotes because I hate partisanship).

People who do not like to see their favorite hosts ridiculed like this, and they outright dismiss the facts because the messenger is a comedian like Jon Stewart.

However, from my experience, the wounds that Jon Stewart inflicts with his biting and hilarious bits revealing hypocrisy, doublespeak and other things that politicians do are much deeper than what most can accomplish.

He is a comedian, yes... but he's not just some idiotic comic dealing in falsehoods to make a funny. And that's what I like about his show. His correspondents do that kind of stuff, though they also make smart points.

I like this thread, and i wish 4chan did more shit against Fox news

Honestly, F(au)x "News" is about as reliable as Michael Moore.
You should listen to what they say and show you, but afterward it's practically required for you to look up the facts for yourself if you want the real story.

You should listen to what they say and show you, but afterward it's practically required for you to look up the facts for yourself if you want the real story.

Good thing I already know the news before I "watch the news".

Good thing I already know the news before I "watch the news".

If you're bringing up the fact that the internet is removing the need for "mainstream" news media, then yes, just another reason Fox News is obsolete.

If you're bringing up the fact that the internet is removing the need for "mainstream" news media, then yes, just another reason Fox News is obsolete.

What I'm saying is, I formulate my opinion on my own. I don't do what most people do and hear the news on a show like Hannity or Countdown and form their opinion based on the host. I could do that as I watch them, yes... but I always hear of the news before I see them on news shows thanks to the internet.

I like the Daily Show and watched that episode yesterday. I think Hannity used clips from the 9/11 project rally that Glenn Beck organised.

He apologizes. Now that was unprecedented.

http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/200911110053
Nice find. Check this out:

Hannity video switch-up is only the tip of Fox News' video-doctoring iceberg:

Hannity aired video from 9-12 rally while discussing Bachmann's recent rally.

Fox News encouraged crowd to cheer during report on 9-12 rally.

Beck claimed G-20 protesters in Pittsburgh carried a hammer-and-sickle symbol, but image actually came from a California school's "Class of 2007" mosaic

Fox News presented deceptively cropped six-month-old Biden clip as new.

Fox News has repeatedly used doctored video and photos to smear progressives

Ingraham used doctored video to smear Gore.

Goler reverses meaning of Obama quote to falsely suggest he supports European-style health care.

Hannity cropped comment to suggest Obama "blame America."

Fox News cropped Obama quote on empathy.

Fox News aired altered photos of NY Times reporters.

Each one has a story behind it:
http://mediamatters.org/research/200911110019

I hope Jon goes back through all the lies and "mistakes" that they've done before.

Heh heh. Yeah. He would never apologize for his most egregious lies and intentional misdeeds.

^ Exactly. They'll want to label this as a 'mistake' and sweep this right under the carpet. Pathetic. It should be a crime.

I dunno, I used to dislike Moore only because I have heard what FOX has said about him (when I used to watch fox news as a mindless drone) and accepted it as fact. After watching his doc's and doing a little research on my own I find myself agreeing with a fair amount of what he claims...In my humble mutha ****ing opinion.

I hope Jon goes back through all the lies and "mistakes" that they've done before.

come on man, I cant believe you're defending Hannity, the guy's pond scum

A few choice quotes from Sean Hannity:

"[Liberals] teach our children multiculturalism rather than American culture, revisionist history rather than American history, the thinly disguised religion of secular humanism and extreme environmentalism rather than capitalism. They train our young to criticize America, not celebrate it. They welcome condoms into the classroom but ban God and the Ten Commandments. They encourage tolerance for the teachings of the Koran but not for the teachings of Jesus Christ. They oppose the Pledge of Allegiance, tell us that ‘God is dead,’ that ‘Christianity is for losers,’ and that evangelical and Catholic conservatives are more dangerous than radical Islamic militants. They tell us that fuel-burning SUVs are bad for America, but flag-burning SOBs aren’t. But they are wrong. And it is time to ask: Why, particularly in time of war, should we entrust the education of our children to people who loathe and ravage so many of out core values and traditions?" (Let Freedom Ring, pgs. 8-9)

"It doesn’t say anywhere in the Constitution this idea of the separation of church and state." (8/25/03)

"[T]hey can have the Gay Scouts if they want, if they don’t like the values of the Boy Scouts." (Hannity & Colmes, 3/16/05)

"Iraqis are not going to be bombed by the United States. The United States will use pinpoint accuracy, like we always do." (January 2003)

"[W]hy wouldn’t anyone want to say the Pledge of Allegiance, unless they detested their own country or were ignorant of its greatness?" (6/12/03)

and even if you're not, your point is misplaced because Stewart's show is comedy; facts do not have to play a part in comedy (see: Mel Brooks History of the World). Hannity is a political program, not satire, not parody, Viewers have a certain level of expectation about delivering undoctored news, which Hannity failed at. this is not the same expectation people ahve about Stewart's comedy show

You're so old Stern. God damn. You don't even understand words anymore.

tree jump pill right wave AMPERSAND!!!

Once when I was a boy I climbed a tall tree, and after minutes of splendor at the view I unexpectedly jumped off. After months of containment in a residential hospice nearby I took many pills, and once I was right in the head I arrived home on my family's private beach. Watching the waves in my new disabled condition left me at awe; I had no speech any longer due to my terrible accident, so I spent my days sitting on the porch of my family's estate.

Three days later I invented the ampersand.

Here you are good fellows, I have translated it from sternspeak.

They didn't have trees when Stern was a child, just ferns.

you havent a clue ...my only companions were single celled organisms. I bathed in lava flows and drank in methane through ancient lungs. I saw the destruction of Mu and the sinking of atlantis. I hunted big toothed cats during the Eocene-Pleistocene epoch. I was Gilgamesh son of Lugalbanda and the fifth king of Uruk. I ran with the picts on that fateful night west of westermarch with the aquilonians hot on my heels and the taste of blood still on my lips. I met the prophets and drank with the sages. I have walked the road of kings and walked in the sandals of beggars ....I AM IMMORTAL

you guys need to be a little more creative with the "stern is old" jokes (Eejit's is a much needed improvement from the usualy tired jokes from the troglodites amongst us)

Well I think it's as close to an apology that Hannity will come to. And WTF was up with the jab at the end. "I want to thank you and all your writers for watching". Either it must have hurt him more than I thought, or he is still using the standard Fox meme against Jon Stewart. Although a lot of the credit does go to the writers, that comeback was a little.... lame ?

Back