Kings

Reaction score
http://www.nbc.com/Kings/

My dad and I have been OBSESSED with this show. All the episodes are up on NBC except for the reason finale.

It's a modern day monarchy and it's loosely based off the story of David and Saul from the Bible. It's addicting.

Unfortunately NBC might be canceling it, even though they basically set it up for failure. It's probably one of the better shows done by NBC though.

yeah i've been watching the entire season on hulu. quite good stuff and great acting by the bloke from Deadwood. Yes it's been cancelled but apparently the last episode has closure (it's called "The New King" after all)

My dad told me they're not really canceling it but I'm not sure where he heard that.

My dad told me they're not really canceling it but I'm not sure where he heard that.

I think it's up in the air at the moment; an increasingly large response from the fans may be bringing it back from what I see on the forums.

Might depend on the profits (or loss) they get from the Season One DVD's to see if they made any money off of it.

So far CBS just hasn't renewed it, so unless they change their mind it is effectively canceled. I hadn't heard of this before, looks pretty interesting and I'll probably watch the first season.

Not a lot of people have seen it. They didn't advertise it very much and they have it on air at a terrible time.

I don't watch TV anyway so that doesn't matter, I find all of the shows I watch through the internet in threads like this :p

If any of you have seen Rome, is the whole aristocratic / ruling class drama similar?

I just watched the first two episodes on Hulu (the 2 part first episode, and the second). And I have to say I am hooked. It seemed kind of cheesy at first, but being based off a biblical story, I can convince myself that its simply theatrical emphasis on key points of plot.

@ Ennui, very yes. I felt a pretty distinct Rome vibe while watching it.

One thing I dont get yet is...

Whats with the Gath tanks? I dont get them. Why are they lined up on the field like that, and why cant they simply call in air strikes/ artillery on them and blow them all to hell? I dont get why Gath are just goliath tanks sitting in a line on a field, and the other side is just infantry sitting in a trench.

Excellent, that's all I needed to hear...

e: Halfway thru the first episode on Hulu, liking it so far (with a few minor problems with presentation)... definitely going to watch some more of it.

One thing I dont get yet is...

Whats with the Gath tanks? I dont get them. Why are they lined up on the field like that, and why cant they simply call in air strikes/ artillery on them and blow them all to hell? I dont get why Gath are just goliath tanks sitting in a line on a field, and the other side is just infantry sitting in a trench.

Oversight and lack of any military knowledge, I think. There's no significance. I think the Gath's "superweapon" is the Goliath tanks, while Gilboa has other advanced technology (not tanks). Don't know though, there are a ton of military-related oversights, so try not to pay attention to them. Such as the whole rescue in the first place, which made no sense whatsoever, but ignore it!

Also, you guys realize all the episodes are hosted on NBC's site, right?

http://www.nbc.com/Kings/video/categories/season-1/1060605/p/2/

101 is the first episode; season 1 episode 1

i may give it a whirl tonight. staying up late because i don't have to work till 3pm tomorrow

So I'm now on the 3rd episode and loving this series. It's campy and doesn't always make perfect sense (all the stuff in the 1st episode with the war going off and on and stuff is really not at all realistic) but past that it's very enjoyable, good characters.

I really liked it. The main guy and the princess are a bit wet, but Ian Mcshane is awesome as ever (King Silas isn't just Al Swearegen in a suit), and the rest of the cast are ok. It didn't start off fantastically, but it got better as the season went on. It would be cool if it was renewed, however I expect the chances are slim. It didn't look like it was a particularly cheap show to make.

I ended up watching all of it (there is only one more episode left right?) and pretty much loved it, despite the cheese I mentioned earlier. I basically agree with Kayadi. It'd be awesome if they renewed it but I find that, sadly, unlikely. Another in the long list of shows that didn't get the chance they deserved.

Aw shit, the finale was on tonight? I only just watch the last episode and went to nbc's site where it said the finale was tonight at 7.

Aw shit, the finale was on tonight? I only just watch the last episode and went to nbc's site where it said the finale was tonight at 7.

Yeah, there are plenty of sites you can watch it at though. I dunno when they're going to upload it to the official site, but there are plenty of "unofficial" ones out there which are hosting it.

Without saying much, the show ended waaaaay too obscurely to really call it a series finale. They basically put it back at square one and started over (which, ironically, is what I thought they should do since the ****ed up so many parts of the plot). I think it may be renewed at a later date once NBC gets some money or when someone else wants to buy it. It wasn't a bad episode, but it kinda left the plot in mid-sentence.

Yeah I watched it. Fuuuuck I want it to continue. I really wish I would stop learning about shows right as they're going to be canceled or after they've already been.

Excellent finale, amazing show. Too bad it's canceled, I would have loved to see another season or three. Looks like it's really for sure 100% canceled though, according to the show's creator as of a day or two ago, he says there is no chance at all of it getting renewed - the set has been taken down, actors disbanded, offices taken over by another show. This will go down as another awesome TV show like Firefly or Freaks and Geeks that was just too damn good to be appreciated properly and only made it through a single season.

Seems to me that more and more unless a show hits it off the bat straight away, the mainstream TV suits don't give it a chance. I don't think Kings started off well, but it built up after a few episodes, but by then the nail was already in the coffin. Same thing with The unusuals, not a good start, but it grew after the first few EPs, but by then it was too late. They need to take a lead from the subscription stations and show a bit of patience, as well as employ a bit of repeat viewing in order to hook more people in later on.

They also need to ****ing advertise this shit. I'd never heard of half my favorite tv shows until after they were cancelled.

But agreed with the patience thing. ESPECIALLY if they're not going to advertise it much. Word of mouth takes awhile, but it builds up quickly. I mean, this thread alone was started after the second to last episode, but they just got me and Ennui hooked on it, and since then I've gotten two others hooked and a few others said they'll watch a couple episodes.

Maybe another channel will pick it up or something. I saw that people on the forums were writing to CBS in hopes they'll pick it up.

The sets have been dismantled and the cast released. I doubt unfortunately that it will be back, more is the pity. I don't think you can ever have enough Ian Mcshane on the screen. He made Deadwood what it was, and he dominated in Kings as well.

i read it got canceled because of it being to sophisticated for today's audience. this single sentence convinced me that i should give it a look.

Back