Kofi Annan Secks Scandal

gh0st

Reaction score
You would think that with managing the Oil for Food scandal, working to undermine U.S. foreign policy, pushing for global taxes and advocating a sweeping restructuring of the Security Council, U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan would be going out of his way to avoid creating more problems for himself and the world body.

Not so much.

On October 28, a report from the U.N.’s in-house watchdog revealed that Annan personally dismissed sexual harassment charges made by an American female U.N. staffer against the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees, overruling the independent U.N. investigative panel that had backed the woman’s claims.

According to spokesman Fred Eckhard, the Secretary General "found the allegations unsustainable on a legal basis." An Agence France-Presse wire story reports that when "pressed to explain what that meant, a visibly irritated Eckhard replied: ‘Legal basis, legal basis, legal basis.’"

(Is it just us, or does this sound an awful lot like "no controlling legal authority?" Maybe Eckhard attended the Al Gore school of public relations.)

In response, Edward Patrick Flaherty, the attorney representing the accuser, told The New York Times, "This demonstrates that there are two sets of rules at the U.N., one for the protected class and one for the rest. [The High Commissioner] is part of that class. My client is not."

That sounds about right. The first class, of which the High Commissioner is a distinguished member, includes those U.N. employees and officials who engage in nepotism, corrupt activities and abusive behavior. The second, apparently shrinking class, includes those U.N. employees who work hard trying to pursue the world body’s ideals and objectives.

It’s increasingly clear that, like his allegedly lecherous colleague, Kofi Annan is part of the corrupt class. In this case, Annan went to a great deal of trouble to pardon a senior U.N. official who, at least according to the U.N.’s investigative panel for such matters, was guilty of sexual harassment and was quite possibly a repeat offender.

Previously, the senior U.N. official in charge of the U.N.-Iraq Oil for Food program allegedly took bribes from Saddam Hussein’s regime. Meanwhile, Annan’s son helped an outside contractor win a lucrative Oil for Food contract from the world body.

The stories out of the United Nations are sounding like a broken record, with one report of corruption following another. The U.N. leadership increasingly appears to be little better than a multinational kleptocracy. And it’s clear that no matter how Herculean the efforts of the committed, hard-working U.N. employees, the world body is doomed to fail in anything — and everything — it pursues.
SRC: cfif.org
What?! The UN is a corrupt bureaocracy? Who would have thought :( Lets blame Bush. Better yet, instead of fixing the problem with the UN, lets point out a bunch of US foreign policy blunders, then start blatantly America hating!

gh0st said:
What?! The UN is a corrupt bureaocracy? Who would have thought :( Lets blame Bush. Better yet, instead of fixing the problem with the UN, lets point out a bunch of US foreign policy blunders, then start blatantly America hating!

he knows he can get away with it, after all he is not american, things like this are only wrong when an american does them.

or as a liberal might respond:

"this does not prove anything just because it is obvious"

"you an obvious racist NAZI™! your posts are disenfranchising minority leaders, you are a bigot!"

the two of you seriously have some growing up to do. :upstare:

If he's guilty he should pay the price ...just like anybody else

CptStern said:
yeah right, you know you were going to call me a racist nazi. the charrade is up! by the way, your previous comment hurt me dearly.

CptStern said:
the two of you seriously have some growing up to do. :upstare:

"when all else fails make a personal attack...or at least a personal insult hidden behind sophomoric humor so at least you perhaps look witty...this is to be done ONLY in the dire circumstance that no amount of excuse making or distraction tactics will be believed or effective in 'spinning the way out'"
~ye olde liberal methodology manual page 1, paragraph 7.

gh0st said:
yeah right, you know you were going to call me a racist nazi. the charrade is up! by the way, your previous comment hurt me dearly.

yes i do believe he is disenfranchising us!

hahaha if this was an Bush, Stern would have created this topic in under a second.

Shad0hawK said:
"when all else fails make a personal attack...or at least a personal insult hidden behind sophomoric humor so at least you perhaps look witty...this is to be done ONLY in the dire circumstance that no amount of excuse making or distraction tactics will be believed or effective in 'spinning the way out'"

Couldn't you be doing something more constructive for this world? Like huffing fumes?

In any case, if he's guilty then I hope he gets what he deserves. You people seem to think that liberals believe the only crimes that are unpardonable are Bush's. This just demonstrates your ignorance.

Shad0hawK said:

hypocrite

"you an obvious racist NAZI™! your posts are disenfranchising minority leaders, you are a bigot!"

The Bush Administration obviously set this up to get Annan out and take credibility away from the UN.

Absinthe said:
Couldn't you be doing something more constructive for this world? Like huffing fumes?

In any case, if he's guilty then I hope he gets what he deserves. You people seem to think that liberals believe the only crimes that are unpardonable are Bush's. This just demonstrates your ignorance.

actually it IS many liberals that "believe the only crimes that are unpardonable are Bush's." this is not merely opinion,i have evidence...THIS BOARD.

in any post pointing out wrongdoing by a european country or the UN, the answer from the left is not to criticize or hold them accountable, but to try and steer the spotlight away from the issue and back onto the BLAME AMERICA™ campaign.

plus i suspect the fact you prove what you quoted me on right by your own behavior in your reaction to it has completely escaped you...

CptStern said:
hypocrite

i must have struck a nerve...tell me stern ,can you sustain that charge of hypocrasy? exactly how is it i am a hypocrite? or is are you merely name callling to vent?

Shad0hawK said:
actually it IS many liberals that "believe the only crimes that are unpardonable are Bush's." this is not merely opinion,i have evidence...THIS BOARD.

in any post pointing out wrongdoing by a european country or the UN, the answer from the left is not to criticize or hold them accountable, but to try and steer the spotlight away from the issue and back onto the BLAME AMERICA™ campaign
No, that's not true.
This thread began with a pre-emptive offense against people who might criticise America and by doing so brought the whole "We Hate America Brigade" (as you've dubbed them) into this debate and completely side-tracked it before the debate's even begun. That's ridiculous.
This isn't political debate, this is just petty name-calling and finger-pointing. As far as I can tell, it's been getting progressively worse recently, I have no idea why. It's sad really.

el Chi said:
No, that's not true.
This thread began with a pre-emptive offense against people who might criticise America and by doing so brought the whole "We Hate America Brigade" (as you've dubbed them) into this debate and completely side-tracked it before the debate's even begun. That's ridiculous.
This isn't political debate, this is just petty name-calling and finger-pointing. As far as I can tell, it's been getting progressively worse recently, I have no idea why. It's sad really.

actually it is true, just browse some threads. look at the french soldier thread for example. when weak attempts to dissmiss the evidence did not work(the video shows a french soldier clearly shooting into the crowd), the subject gets changed to what some perceive as what america does wrong.

when talking to many die-hard liberals, the blame america tactic is usually the first line of defense, anytime the UN or a european nation gets criticized the response usually goes like "well the US did this" or "well, bush did this" etc.

as for all the name calling, debating politics is like debating religion...for good reason, for some their politics IS their religion, with the corresponding zealotry.

Haha, lol :)

What?! The UN is a corrupt bureaocracy? Who would have thought Lets blame Bush. Better yet, instead of fixing the problem with the UN, lets point out a bunch of US foreign policy blunders, then start blatantly America hating!

in any post pointing out wrongdoing by a european country or the UN, the answer from the left is not to criticize or hold them accountable, but to try and steer the spotlight away from the issue and back onto the BLAME AMERICA™ campaign.

plus i suspect the fact you prove what you quoted me on right by your own behavior in your reaction to it has completely escaped you...

My I just remind of your own hypocracy by these two examples, as you can see you are trying to divert attention by making stupid threads instead of discussing a matter, and by regulary just ignoring things, and resorting to name calling.

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54731
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54324

actually it is true, just browse some threads. look at the french soldier thread for example. when weak attempts to dissmiss the evidence did not work(the video shows a french soldier clearly shooting into the crowd), the subject gets changed to what some perceive as what america does wrong.

when talking to many die-hard liberals, the blame america tactic is usually the first line of defense, anytime the UN or a european nation gets criticized the response usually goes like "well the US did this" or "well, bush did this" etc.

as for all the name calling, debating politics is like debating religion...for good reason, for some their politics IS their religion, with the corresponding zealotry.

As you can see it is you that is doing this not us. A lot liberals blame the US for things, and make threads of what the US does because simply the US proclaims it self against this, I mean do we need to make another thread about terrorists torturing people, we allready know they do, they don't deny it, we allready condem then, it is the US and other countries like also Holland that deny that, now if Holland had something like Guantanamo bay or School of the americas, we would make threads about that to, cuase it would need to be brought under attention. It is not discusting that we make threads about when the US deos something bad, what is really discusting is people like you who know about Guantanamo bay and SOAW and don't even critizice it and yet still think Bush is freedom loving when you know it is bs, you know that North Kore has WMD's and that it wasn't sure that Irak had, yet I never heard one of you explain why you think the US invaded Irak while not invading North Korea. Explain that and we might take you seriousely. We due understand that no country is perfect and we try to improve you don't you are the one who cant take constructive critizism. I don't mind right wing as long as they make sense and don't blantly lie in your face, Take Blahblah for example, he is rightwing and i have great respect for his view and posts, cause he makes smart points.

Shad0hawK said:

Wait, your sole piece of evidence supporting your argument is this forum? Well, now that you've shown me that you're willing to take a relatively small number of people and generalize their characteristics onto all liberals, I can safely discredit anything that you say.

Also, I saw no attempt to steer the spotlight away from the issue in this topic. I saw pre-emptive attacks against liberals regarding the United States. Isn't it ironic that it is actually you that has done the very thing you are accusing liberals of?

What in God's name did you just try to say? Whatever. Inform me as to what has escaped me.

gh0st said:

I didn't realize that sex scandals (real or imagined) are so important. But to hysterical Americans, anything related to sex (or just nipples, as was the case with Janet Jackson, a global catastrophe of epic proportions if I ever saw one) is more horrifying than the idea of World War III.

At any rate, I find it hard to believe any of this because I've never heard of it or seen references to it. It all pales in comparison with the US, anyway.

Spartan said:
I didn't realize that sex scandals (real or imagined) are so important. But to hysterical Americans, anything related to sex (or just nipples, as was the case with Janet Jackson, a global catastrophe of epic proportions if I ever saw one) is more horrifying than the idea of World War III.

I guess we hit an american weakspot there ;)

The only corrupt section of the UN would be the WIPO - Good ol' Kofi is as clean as... a pair of newly washed socks!

Grey Fox said:
Haha, lol :)

My I just remind of your own hypocracy by these two examples, as you can see you are trying to divert attention by making stupid threads instead of discussing a matter, and by regulary just ignoring things, and resorting to name calling.

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54731
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54324

As you can see it is you that is doing this not us. A lot liberals blame the US for things, and make threads of what the US does because simply the US proclaims it self against this, I mean do we need to make another thread about terrorists torturing people, we allready know they do, they don't deny it, we allready condem then, it is the US and other countries like also Holland that deny that, now if Holland had something like Guantanamo bay or School of the americas, we would make threads about that to, cuase it would need to be brought under attention. It is not discusting that we make threads about when the US deos something bad, what is really discusting is people like you who know about Guantanamo bay and SOAW and don't even critizice it and yet still think Bush is freedom loving when you know it is bs, you know that North Kore has WMD's and that it wasn't sure that Irak had, yet I never heard one of you explain why you think the US invaded Irak while not invading North Korea. Explain that and we might take you seriousely. We due understand that no country is perfect and we try to improve you don't you are the one who cant take constructive critizism. I don't mind right wing as long as they make sense and don't blantly lie in your face, Take Blahblah for example, he is rightwing and i have great respect for his view and posts, cause he makes smart points.

i did not see any hypocrasy on my part, you seem to be responding to two different people at once in a somewhat confused manner...

as for how the US treats it's prisoners of war, i do not have a problem with it. after all THEY ARE prisoners...how much "freedom" are they supposed to have? plus regarding some "taking me seriously" i do not expect that, rabid leftists only take themselves and like minded people seriously being the "tolerant" people they are.

i have question for you, who would you rather be taken prisoner by?

1. US military, where you may be stripped naked and piled on top of other guys.

2. the people who cut heads off.

*theme from jeaopardy plays*

(remmeber before you try to say i am a hypocrite changing topic, YOU brought this up, not me.)

please continue with the "BLAME AMERICA™" campaign and the personal attacks against those who disagree with you...and keep on proving me right.

Shad0hawK said:
please continue with the "BLAME AMERICA™" campaign and the personal attacks against those who disagree with you...and keep on proving me right.

You are such a hypocrite.

That word is getting pretty damn catchy.

Shad0hawK said:
as for how the US treats it's prisoners of war, i do not have a problem with it. after all THEY ARE prisoners...how much "freedom" are they supposed to have?

Wow. So if someone dragged your family to a prison to be tortured, raped and humiliated, you wouldn't have a problem? By the way, ever heard of anything called the Geneva Convention? Or human rights? Morality? Ethics? Anything of those?

1. US military, where you may be stripped naked and piled on top of other guys.

2. the people who cut heads off.

The people who cut heads off. But what the fück are you trying to say? Humiliating and torturing people is a-okay but executing them is not?

Absinthe said:
Wait, your sole piece of evidence supporting your argument is this forum? Well, now that you've shown me that you're willing to take a relatively small number of people and generalize their characteristics onto all liberals, I can safely discredit anything that you say.

Also, I saw no attempt to steer the spotlight away from the issue in this topic. I saw pre-emptive attacks against liberals regarding the United States. Isn't it ironic that it is actually you that has done the very thing you are accusing liberals of?

What in God's name did you just try to say? Whatever. Inform me as to what has escaped me.

my my we have quite the witch hunt going on...nothing less than i expected really.

i cited it as one example that does not mean it is the only one. you do not seem to be an obtuse person so you know it is not, i did not say ALL liberals either, i usually phrase it such as "some" or "many" or "a few" depending of if the context warrants it..did you mention generalizing? i think you did...

Spartan said:
Wow. So if someone dragged your family to a prison to be tortured, raped and humiliated, you wouldn't have a problem? By the way, ever heard of anything called the Geneva Convention? Or human rights? Morality? Ethics? Anything of those?

The people who cut heads off. But what the fück are you trying to say? Humiliating and torturing people is a-okay but executing them is not?

that would depend, if people in my family were kidnapping other people and cutting their heads off, i really would not blame the other side for doing what they could to get information. i may not LIKE it emotionally but i would understand ,since i think rationally instead of emotionally.

seinfeldrules said:
:LOL: Of course it doesnt. Only the US has to obey them without comment :LOL:

Sigh.

Point: the fact that your enemy doesn't obey the rules of war doesn't give you an excuse to do the same.

Shad0hawK said:
that would depend, if people in my family were kidnapping other people and cutting their heads off, i really would not blame the other side for doing what they could to get information. i may not LIKE it emotionally but i would understand ,since i think rationally instead of emotionally.

You fail to realize that not every insurgent in Iraq is cutting off heads. For all we know, some of the people in that difficult-to-spell prison were there for no reason. So again, would you be okay with your family going through the same?

Shad0hawK said:

really? then how do you explain this?

is this out of a sense of duty?

or this?

is this what peacekeepers do?

Spartan said:

At any rate, I find it hard to believe any of this because I've never heard of it or seen references to it. It all pales in comparison with the US, anyway.
you did a wonderful job of interpreting the title of this thread, but there were other aspects to the writing itself.

everyone who uses the word hypocrite, will you please purchase a thesaurus. thanks.

CptStern said:
one is titled thruthout, i can guess what that is, so i wont even comment on it.

on the other extreme side of the spectrum, i see "the U.S. Army has charged four soldiers, three of them with manslaughter." i doubt a group of insurgents would get charged with jack shit if they drowned an american prisoner. oh wait, but that doesnt matter. its expected, right?

edit: sorry for double post, meant to just copy the quote. oh well.

gh0st said:
one is titled thruthout, i can guess what that is, so i wont even comment on it.

google it, it's cross referenced on multiple sites..it did happen, and they have been charged with murder in both cases

gh0st said:
on the other extreme side of the spectrum, i see "the U.S. Army has charged four soldiers, three of them with manslaughter." i doubt a group of insurgents would get charged with jack shit if they drowned an american prisoner. oh wait, but that doesnt matter. its expected, right?

and who will try them? what law are they upholding? what treaties have they signed? where is their signatures on the geneva accords? under what law should they be held accountable for? international? that wont happen cuz that opens the door for the court to try american soldiers under the same laws ...hmm lets see how long it would take an iternational court to find the US guilty of sanctioning torture (prove me wrong)

and who will try them?
your right. who will? nobody. there goes their noble insurgency, their just a bunch of ****s.

what law are they upholding?

just because its not a law doesnt mean they are governed by decency, spartan explained it well:

"Or human rights? Morality? Ethics? Anything of those?"

his statement answers the several following percussive questions.

oh, and we dont need the world to try our soldiers, we are more than capable of upholding it.

what does that have to do with americans torturing iraqis? are you saying that since the enemy behaves in a reprehensible way it allows them to do the same? where's the logic in that? were these iraqi prisoners the same ones who beheaded americans?

CptStern said:
what does that have to do with americans torturing iraqis? are you saying that since the enemy behaves in a reprehensible way it allows them to do the same? where's the logic in that? were these iraqi prisoners the same ones who beheaded americans?
heres the fundamental difference, and i guarantee you this will be a never ending circle of accusations.

terrorist insurgents: not liable for any of the miserable things they do to fellow iraqis, and american civilians and servicemen, and sometimes women.

american troops: liable for all destruction of property, war crimes abuse, etc. the people behind the whole "torture" thing at abu-ghasdhlajhraib are in federal pound me in the ass penetentary, and are awaiting trials that will probably mess up their lives as much as the 'torture' has to the iraqs it was wraught upon.

i know you will bring up the same arguments over and over, but...whatever.

gh0st said:
heres the fundamental difference, and i guarantee you this will be a never ending circle of accusations.

terrorist insurgents: not liable for any of the miserable things they do to fellow iraqis, and american civilians and servicemen, and sometimes women.

american troops: liable for all destruction of property, war crimes abuse, etc. the people behind the whole "torture" thing at abu-ghasdhlajhraib are in federal pound me in the ass penetentary, and are awaiting trials that will probably mess up their lives as much as the 'torture' has to the iraqs it was wraught upon.

i know you will bring up the same arguments over and over, but...whatever.

no, this is the fundamental difference:

We will eliminate the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction, deliver humanitarian aid, and secure the freedom of the Iraqi people. We will create an environment where Iraqis can determine their own fate democratically and peacefully.

- George Bush, Belfast, Northern Ireland April 8, 2003 press release in support of the invasion of iraq

CptStern said:
We will eliminate the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction, deliver humanitarian aid, and secure the freedom of the Iraqi people. We will create an environment where Iraqis can determine their own fate democratically and peacefully.
that quote is completely irrelevant. its difficult to achieve those goals when people are getting decapitated by extremists. have we failed the iraqi people by... kofi annans sex scandal? save it for another thread.

I would have responded, but am following Gh0st's lead to take the attention away from the US on this topic.

I think Annan should be fired. The UN is crumbling under his control.

CptStern said:

BLAME AMERICA™ ignore everything else.

Back