L.A. Noire (New Rockstar PS3 title)

Korgoth

Reaction score
I say ps3 title, because thats what gametrailers.com says. Anyway, there is a teaser on gametrailers, and the website is located here:

LINKEH!

I don't know what to think, this early... They say a full trailer is on the way. (OCT. 5th to be exact.) From the teaser, it looks like a 50's GTA possibly? Or maybe its more in the vein of Max Payne, either way, I'm stoked :naughty:

Maybe it'll be something along the lines of the movie, LA Confidential. That'd be pretty cool.

I love noir and if you do too, try reading Phillip Kerr's trilogy entitled, Berlin Noir. An excellent read with a lot of gritty humor, sex, intrigue, and history.

This might be great, might be terrible. Hard to say. The Getaway wasn't anything to cream over, so I have my hopes set to:

Low | Medium | High

gamasutra said:
L.A. Noire, an interactive detective story set in the classic noir period of the late 1940s.

According to the companies, L.A. Noire will feature open-ended gameplay that will focus on action, detection and a complex narrative that centers on a series of gruesome murders in an effort to blend cinema and gaming.

sounds interesting ..if they can somehow capture the philip marlow/sam spade type atmosphere of film noir they should have a winner on their hands

there's a trailer to be released next week so maybe they'll reveal a little more ..right now it sounds like an interactive adventure game to me but knowing rockstar they'll probably make it an opened ended world (I hope so)

but still have trepidation whether film noire will translate well in a video game ..I mean with established greats like Bogart/Robert Mitchum/sydney greenstreet/eli kazan/peter lorre/john huston/howard hawks etc they'll have big shoes to fill

but still have trepidation whether film noire will translate well in a video game ..I mean with established greats like Bogart/Robert Mitchum/sydney greenstreet/eli kazan/peter lorre/john huston/howard hawks etc they'll have big shoes to fill

Max Payne pulled it off pretty well. Altho that wasn't set in the 50's of course.

With Max Payne I thought Rockstar pushed the semi-noir narrative in the proper direction. Now that they've matured as a company, I think they may be able to pull this off. God knows they know how to land proper voice talent for their games, and that'll help. I'm hoping for open-ended as well, I think if they really put an emphasis on detective work, use some savvy color/mood work, and tell a proper narrative, they may be able to do something great.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, at least until the trailer next week :)

ya I liked max payne ..for the most part ...I skipped over a lot of the surreal plot stuff but the narrative and the pacing of the game was somewhat like film noire

Very exciting. Though I don't understand why the spelled it noire instead of noir. R* doing a noir game? Hell yeah. An open ended nonlinear detective tale...oooooohhhhhhh. I'm incredibly aroused.

I'm also pretty sure Remedy made the Max Payne games. Which were both excellent masterpieces.

can someone watch it and report back? I'm at work and I cant watch it
Sure. It goes...

Rockstar Games presents...

A Team Bondi Production...

LA Noire.

*cue 7 seconds of b&w footage of a street in LA at night.* Not much detail on anything, very dark, impossible to say anything really.

LA Noire.

Full trailer coming October 5.

All in all, barely a tease. You are not missing much heretofore.

that sucks ..hopefully more will be shown in the trailer, thanks btw :)

I wonder why Sony decided to pull the plug...

Still looking forward to it though.

Rockstar Games and Team Bondi join forces to publish this ground-breaking next-generation crime thriller

New York, NY – September 25, 2006 -- Rockstar Games, the world-renowned publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), is pleased to announce a partnership with Team Bondi Pty Ltd to publish the ground-breaking next generation crime thriller L.A. Noire. Developed by Team Bondi, a new Australian based studio founded by Brendan McNamara, of The Getaway, L.A Noire is an interactive detective story set in the classic noir period of the late 1940’s. L.A. Noire blends action, detection and complex storytelling and draws players into an open-ended challenge to solve a series of gruesome murders. Set in a perfectly recreated Los Angeles before freeways, with a post-war backdrop of corruption, drugs and jazz, L.A. Noire will truly blend cinema and gaming.

Sam Houser of Rockstar Games serves as Executive Producer and Brendan McNamara as Director of Development for L.A. Noire.

“Brendan and I have known each other for a long time, and to finally have the opportunity to work together on a game is exciting,” said Sam Houser , Founder of Rockstar Games. “The longstanding mutual respect and the combined experience between the two of us make this a great partnership,” added Brendan McNamara, CEO of Team Bondi.

L.A. Noire is a next-generation title and will be published by Rockstar Games. The official trailer will be released October 5th at www.rockstargames.com/lanoire.

So Rockstar doesn't develop this game? Well thats...don't what to say. The description sounds that it could be great but the team behind it doesn't look too much positive , we'll have to wait and see more. Though , recently ,games with "L.A." in the title don't turn up good :p

good news, can't wait to see if they can provide an original title.

Sounds very interesting. I love film noir and Max Payne is about the closest we've gotten, which was more Sin City graphic novel style noir than The Long Goodbye film noir that I'm looking for. Can't wait for more info.

With Max Payne I thought Rockstar pushed the semi-noir narrative in the proper direction.
Rockstar didn't produce Max Payne, jesus christ! Remedy Entertainment did, http://www.remedygames.com/ I mean jesus, give credit where credit is due mate!:flame::p
Hell, all Rockstar didn't publish Max Payne, Gathering did, although in.. 2k4 I think it was, TakeTwo consolidated all their publisher labels etc to Rockstar and 2KGames..

Several game sites are reporting this as a Wii game. Would make sense as an interactive story. Awesome. :E

GTA IV is going multi-platform. But Sony never dropped anything. Rockstar just chose to develop both (360 & PS3) simultaneously AFAIK. And, in case you hadn't noticed, this game is nothing to do with GTA and hasn't even had a platform announced. It could be Wii, PS3 or 360.

If it's next-gen, I would say all.

It just makes sense to develop it for all of them as it means more dosh for R*...

GTA IV is going multi-platform. But Sony never dropped anything. Rockstar just chose to develop both (360 & PS3) simultaneously AFAIK. And, in case you hadn't noticed, this game is nothing to do with GTA and hasn't even had a platform announced. It could be Wii, PS3 or 360.

L.A. Noire was originally a Sony funded project, exclusively for PS3. Its developed by Team Bondi, not Rockstar. Team Bondi was founded by some of the creators of the original Getaway, including the main director. Since PS3 was the original development platform, X360 is likely as well, and Wii is out of the question.

I'm guessing Sony dropped the project because the budget was getting too big. I think this could actually be very good for the project though. Having Rockstar in an advisor position, considering their experience in the free roaming genre, could really add the last layer of polish that The Getaway lacked.

Theres actually one old piece of media for the game though, besides the character render at the top of the Team Bondi site:
lanoirescreen.jpg

No chance for Wii? Crap. :dozey:
Definately not, and considering the creator thinks the next step in gaming is making realistic interactive cinema(To the point where every object and character in the game is digitally scanned in), I'd doubt it even if we didn't know it was already in development for PS3.

Well... sounds like I have 1 reason to buy the PS3. Let's hope it's ported to PC and/or 360, eh?

"Well... sounds like I have 1 reason to buy the PS3. Let's hope it's ported to PC and/or 360, eh?"

Let's hope the game turns to be good , first. The starting stats doesn't look to promising for the game so we'll see what the trailer has to show us.
On paper , the game sounds interesting and with potential , but as everbody knows , that stage from paper to practical is where things tend to fail.

The first or second one?

The first one disappointed me like no game has before.

I never played the second.

I'm one of the few fans of the Getaway series. 1st is much better than the second though. Second's a bit more fun. Especially with the ragdoll.

I'm one of the few fans of the Getaway series. 1st is much better than the second though. Second's a bit more fun. Especially with the ragdoll.

I liked the first too but the second one was just... meh

Back