L4D and Land of the dead similarities

barker_s

Medic
Reaction score
I recently replayed a relatively old game called "Land of the dead - road to Fiddler's Green" based on a Romero's movie and it struck me how many similarities it has with L4D. To name a few:

- You start in a farmhouse which is attacked by zombies.
- You have to go through a cornfield.
- Later you have to reach the hospital, which you can access only through the sewers.
- There's a place where you accidentally turn on a car alarm which attracts zombies.
- There's a type of a zombie which vomits on you and explodes when it dies.
- There's also a "screamer" which attracts other zombies as long as it's alive and screaming.

So, what do you think... coincidence :D ?

Left 4 Dead was never intended to be thematically 'new'.

It's not a coincidence, it was completely intended that Left 4 Dead was clich?d in every possible way.

I know it was supposed to be cliche, but in the end all zombie games are. I'm talking about these specific features that showed up in both games - to me it looks like some parts of L4D were influenced by LotD (namely those I posted before).

Horrid game for a meh movie.
Why would you be playing that? D:

I know it was supposed to be cliche, but in the end all zombie games are. I'm talking about these specific features that showed up in both games - to me it looks like some parts of L4D were influenced by LotD (namely those I posted before).

There's only so many ridiculously influential zombie movies out there, and given L4D is a friggin' cliche storm of zombie movie moments...

The only zombie (well they're Infected really) film I've ever greatly enjoyed is 28 Days Later.

The only zombie (well they're Infected really) film I've ever greatly enjoyed is 28 Days Later.

Not even the original Dawn of the Dead, or Day of the Dead? Awesome films, man.

This appeared on l4d411 forums back in the day http://www.left4dead411.com/forums/index.php?action=vthread&forum=2&topic=1892. I obtained it and it felt like a very rough version of L4D. In fact I vividly remember crying foul on Valve because the games are similar in every possible way. There is a mod out there with 1 server and it makes the zombies run. The core single player experience was actually fun for me and it even had things like pain pills and sniper rifles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSWEuziX_-Y I believe the weapons are exactly the same other than a axe. Let me just say this on Valve and we can agree upon it all, the similarities are amazing. *Hell some animations are better and sounds like the molotov.

Wow, that does look very similar. And pretty good, actually. I'll have to see how much that costs.

Also look at this game's cover:

Land_of_the_Dead_-_Road_to_Fiddler%27s_Green_Coverart.png

All zombie movies and games touch on the same stuff, most of the content is fairly generic, I mean by that reasoning any game with an M16 and Zombies together would be considered a ripoff of somthing else.

Left 4 Dead is full of references to other Zombie material, the Pennsylvania license plates arent just a coincidence you know.

Either way, they still revolutionized the genre with the online play, and playing as infected. Not to mention their other creations. (Smoker, hunter, witch, tank.) There's not too much for them to create in such a genre. I don't expect a game like this will have a sequel, unless it's to update the graphics and add new maps with it. Not too much lost from these ripoffs.

Back