LA Noire: The Tech behind Performance

just amazing
now I'm really looking forward to what the gameplay has to offer

That's pretty impressive! It just put this game on my radar, hope the gameplay is as good as the facial animations!

The facial expressions are so good they look almost unnatural, probably because the rest of the graphics aren't on the same level. That's not saying they're bad, just that the facial animations are amazing.

Also, Ken Cosgrove!

Getting pretty close to the uncanny valley imo.

Impressive indeed. I'm quite snowed on the technology Team Bondi is using and anticipate the gameplay to be just as enjoyable.

Seriously awesome. Especially that guy at 2:52.

It reminds me of those adventure games that used video for the chars. Not quite real, but in 5'ish years time they'll be much closer.

I think this is on the climb out of uncanny valley. Once the rest of the body animations are on par, and possibly some work on the eyes it'll be pretty much realistic.

Theres some weirdness in it. It looks like sometimes a small bit doesn't move the correct amount, so like, a small bit of the cheek has a slight lag to it, making it look really odd. The eyes seem poorly animated too. I also think the texture resolution should be increased, because the realistic movement of the skin is betrayed so much by how little skin detail there is.

Leagues better than anything we've got in games now though. Hopefully more games use this setup in the future, though I'd imagine its ridiculously costly compared to just standard lip-sync animation.

Flaws aside, this is still the best facial animation technology that I've seen. I'm highly impressed and...is that John Noble?

Looks like Rockstar is doing another build-up with videos just like with RDR. I vote for more gameplay as well. The facial animations look very nice, but I want to know how it plays.

A step in the right direction, but definitely uncanny valley.

The amazing facial movements are in such contrast to the hideous textures and lighting/shadows that look like balls. Even the body animations like hand movements look so obviously stiff by comparison. It's still very interesting.

Enough with the jizzing all over their faces guys. Man. Yes, it's a fine small piece of their game, but I think it will be much ado about nothing. This seems to happen all the time when to hype a game they release videos of a cool feature that will make us all rethink the way games are played because of how the technology adds nuances that were never seen before. Ugh.

(All that said, if it plays like a Still Life, Sherlock Holmes, or Police Quest, then count me in!!!)

It's really awkward looking to me, almost like they cut and pasted a real person's face over video game footage. It sort of reminds me of that pirate in the intro of Spongebob Squarepants. I don't really like it, it alternates between really great looking and really silly looking.

Looks interesting, but again, there's no Windows version.

Yep, no PC.

uny4n.png

Wow, pretty impressive. Can't wait to see how much this tech is limited by dated hardware. :p

Also, **** yeah Keith Szarabajka.

I'm sure the tech isn't flawless, nonetheless it will most likely create some semi-novel situations in-game. I'd rather play that than the generic slab of the next entry in the COD franchise.

Ebert just shat bricks and hopefully someone with half a brain who is smart will review a game like this one day and people will listen

Ebert just shat bricks and hopefully someone with half a brain who is smart will review a game like this one day and people will listen

This post gave me an aneurysm.

Also, that sucks that there is no PC version. Especially since thats probably the reason the textures and shaders are crappier than they needed to pull it off much better.

I'm sure the tech isn't flawless, nonetheless it will most likely create some semi-novel situations in-game. I'd rather play that than the generic slab of the next entry in the COD franchise.

Fun fact: Black Ops uses similar facial animation technology to this, with real actors and all. Not nearly as convincing, but still.

Heh yeah, he does have a pretty distinctive voice I guess. Will have to listen out for him...

I def find this game to be pretty interesting, I'm just really excited that Rockstar is finally making a game in the 40's noir genre. But I do get a weird feeling looking at the faces in some of the footage. Sometimes it looks really amazing and sometimes it looks like ZT said, "Uncanny Valley". I'm definitely going to keep a close watch on this game though.

Heh yeah, he does have a pretty distinctive voice I guess. Will have to listen out for him...

I think thats the guy who my friend gets pissed off about all the time. He recognizes the guys voice in every game he plays and it drives him nuts.

Fun fact: Black Ops uses similar facial animation technology to this, with real actors and all. Not nearly as convincing, but still

Ah, I think I recall reading something about that. I'll have to look into that tech more in depth. I suppose I have a hankerin' for a game with exceptional facial animation since after playing VTM, (this obviously surpasses that), so I'm willing to look past it's flaws because there's only a few games coming out next year that even mildly interest me. I see what you're saying about similiar technologies in two noticeably different games, but LA Noire seems to be taking it so much farther. I could end up being very disappointed, it's at least an interesting product to follow. And apparently, Noire draws the context for its cases from real cases in the 1940's (post-war supposedly), so that's a bonus. Could make up for the somtimes spotty talent of game writers.

As a sidenote, did I just use the word "hankerin'"?

Yeah, I'm not saying the facial technology in blops was used to good effect (it wasn't, though it looks kind of cool), just saying it's in there.

As long as Rockstar can avoid the story turning into another ****ing conspiracy about 2/3rds through then I'll be okay. Oh wait, no, it's a detective game, not gonna happen.

I'll just stop playing 2/3rds of the way through, then, heh.

As long as Rockstar can avoid the story turning into another ****ing conspiracy about 2/3rds through then I'll be okay. Oh wait, no, it's a detective game, not gonna happen.

Its being published by Rockstar, Team Bondi is the developer. Thats not to say it won't happen though.

Oh right, I knew that (sort of).

Meh, a conspiracy is fine, as long as it's in the context of the noir setting and isn't as ridiculous as GTA IV's. ie - "You are working for a top secret organization now which must never be discovered, therefore please go fly a helicopter directly around the city limits while firing this rocket launcher with unlimited ammo out the side, with no disguise, even though you are a known criminal with several gang ties. Okay thanks ttyl." ^_^

Curse R* and their lack of gameplay shown during pre-release trailers. Seems to always be like this.

Wanna know how it plays.

Back