Leaked material on London 'suicide bomber' shooting

Laivasse

Companion Cube
Reaction score
I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread on this (at least I don't think there is one).

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/terrorism/story/0,15935,1550679,00.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4157892.stm
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2005-08-17T090953Z_01_MCC648513_RTRUKOC_0_UK-SECURITY-BRITAIN.xml

"Initial reports said the Brazilian electrician was dressed suspiciously, had fled armed officers, vaulted over ticket barriers and run onto a train.

But leaked documents obtained by ITV News said CCTV footage and eyewitness accounts showed he was not wearing a padded jacket which could have concealed a bomb, and walked calmly through the station, even stopping to collect a free newspaper.

According to witnesses and statements made by police officers involved, de Menezes then boarded a train and was restrained by a surveillance officer before he was shot.

The leaked report said the intelligence operation may have been botched because an officer carrying out surveillance had gone to the toilet when de Menezes left the building."

(The Guardian article paints a particularly sinister picture of the situation, some heartbreaking pics in the BBC's one)

This info from other news broadcasts on C4 and BBC1 last night - His jacket was denim, not padded, bulky or suspicious. He never vaulted any barrier. It seems like he never even knew the police were following him. Apparently he was only potentially ID'ed as one of the 4 bombers when he left his flat, but by the time he had made it to the train this had somehow changed to a positive identification, whereupon a surveillance officer restrained the guy, and an armed officer shot him 8 times, while a further 3 bullets missed.

The officer responsible for observing the guy was taking a piss. There is a lot of piss being taken here.

Every officer involved should lose their job. Ian Blair should be replaced as commissioner. Apparently after the shooting he was pressing for the Indendent Police Complaints Commission not to get involved, and there was an uncharacteristic delay in them taking up the case. Criminal charges should be brought.

Currently there is as much newstime dedicated to bullshit like psychologists waffling over the fallibility of human memory in eyewitness accounts, or people blowing hot air, wondering how the documents got leaked. WHO ****ING CARES? Surely we should be glad they got leaked?! :flame:

I hope this makes you all as angry as it makes me.

I care that the documents got leaked, because obviously the 7/7 and 21/7 investigation needs a certain element of secrecy around them to ensure their success. However, I'm shocked at how much the police fudged up this whole incident, now.

Kangy said:
I care that the documents got leaked, because obviously the 7/7 and 21/7 investigation needs a certain element of secrecy around them to ensure their success. However, I'm shocked at how much the police fudged up this whole incident, now.

It seems likely to me that the documents got leaked because someone in the force or the IPCC investigation had their conscience get the better of them, for which I am glad. This is not your typical security hole for politicians to huff and puff over.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4157892.stm

"The latest documents suggest Mr de Menezes had walked into Stockwell Tube station, picked up a free newspaper, walked through ticket barriers, had started to run when he saw a train arriving and was sitting down in a train when he was shot."

My God...*shakes head*

*shakes head*

holy shit, how? how could they be so wrong?

Better question, what will be done to prevent the police from coverin it again, and who will be punished for this. i can udnerstand the accidant, but not the cover up, this is not the police anymore this is an armed junta.

SHHHHH!!!!!! We are winning the war on terror, one innocent civillian at a time.
Its simple really, kill all the innocent people and the terrorists have nothing left to terrorize and kill but themselves! Its genius really!

Christ. So apparently there was no escape attempt that prompted the shooting. I can't think of any justification for the police's actions in this incident. They most certainly deserve to lose their jobs after this cock-up.

holy shit that's just awful. That poor man's family. Why the **** do they try to cover it up? It almost always blows up in their face. Every last person involved should be fired and the ones directly involved should be criminally investigated ...better deal with this quick

It's an easy mistake to make, I mean come on, some guy picking up a paper, running to catch a train and then sitting down on it, smacks of terrorist activity...bloody idiots.

I heard on the radio the family were calling for those responsible to be charged with murder.

Grey Fox said:
i can udnerstand the accidant, but not the cover up,

How is this accident understandable in any way? Perhaps if he actually had vaulted over the ticket barrier, worn a baggy coat, and fled from the cops, I could understand. But the level of force used in this situation was entirely unwarranted.

SHHHHH!!!!!! We are winning the war on terror, one innocent civillian at a time.
Its simple really, kill all the innocent people and the terrorists have nothing left to terrorize and kill but themselves! Its genius really!

Well, the terrorists are helping ... a little.

<looks at flaming suicide bomber cars decorated with "OMFG ZIONIST BITS"; from Badhdad to Jewrusalem>

Actually, they're helping ... a lot.

<Starbucks goes up in flames>

Okay, the scores in team -- we're loosing 120 to 1.

lmao at jewrusalem, please God tell me you did that on purpose

Just dispicable that the police and government would cover up the true details of this. Propaganda and lies are preventing the public from making true decisions about their governments policies. Sometimes I wonder if Britain and America are slipping into fascism with the way the governments are acting...

Absolutelty, well Im off to go laugh at the rightwing scumbags who were defending the police.

We defended the police based on the evidence that was realised. Dont act all high and mighty now that your guess was correct.

This is frightening that you could get shot for running to catch the train.

Yeah, It made me angry also when I heard about it. It was a complete breakdown in communication between the different arms of the police.

The thing is, some of this stuff contradicts what I heard from Witnesses ringing into the radio on the day of the shooting. I'm going to wait for the full report. But these leaked documents definately show police failings.

solaris152000 said:
Absolutelty, well Im off to go laugh at the rightwing scumbags who were defending the police.

What Kebean PFC said. "Right-Wing Scumbags"? Grow up you childish fool. It's not a competitation against people with different political beliefs.

^ No kidding. We are at war, and no matter how less or more one of us becomes in it, its imperative we realize cooperation between our political stances otherwise our mistakes will again be exploited by Corperate Giants, Politicians, and Terrorists alike.

Im on abotu thoose people who say:

"Its on the daily mail it must be right! OUTRAGE!'

I argued with them, and they were all like:

"He was weairng a big coat and jumped a ticket barrier iwtha rmed police after him"

Well he wasn't. I was right. But more importantly an Innocent Man was shot dead, becuase he was black. Shoot to kill is state murder.
I hope everyone can see that now.

Wait...Ive just seen a pic of it, and the blokes white....

wtf?

solaris152000 said:
Im on abotu thoose people who say:

"Its on the daily mail it must be right! OUTRAGE!'

I argued with them, and they were all like:

"He was weairng a big coat and jumped a ticket barrier iwtha rmed police after him"

Well he wasn't. I was right. But more importantly an Innocent Man was shot dead, becuase he was black. Shoot to kill is state murder.
I hope everyone can see that now.

He wasn't shot because he was black. I'd rather you fight real racism not this pretend racism that you make up.

Sorry I thought he was Black.

:hmph:
The Police still suck at policing.

7shots in the head? 20000 101 101 ftw

No well trained police officer shoots a man 7 times (and misses 3 times).

That smacks of panic fire rather than a thought-out 'shoot to kill' decision.

To point score over the death of a totally innocent man is as offensive as it gets.
To try to introduce racism and right wing agendas is equally so.
A man died, through police stupidity, this "I told you so" attitude is silly and as stated childish.

Back