Left 4 Dead 2 Announced, Coming this November

Just watched the trailers and well... Does no one else feel a lack in polish or some such? The videos to me don't seem much above what I'd expect from an organised mod team. =/

Also, I'll echo what others have said with the fact that one year development for a full blown sequel is far to short, and it at most looks like an expansion pack. I guess this can be chalked up to the recession. :(

WAIT WAIT thar, what if Half Life 2 EP3 was bundled with Left 4 Dead 2 in an "orange box" type deal. It could be the multi-player part of it just like TF2 was for the Orange Box. It could be called the "Red Box" or the "Green Box" or something.

Edit: And it could contain Portal 2.

Just watched the trailers and well... Does no one else feel a lack in polish or some such? The videos to me don't seem much above what I'd expect from an organised mod team. =/

*facepalm*

It's an early version of the game, what do you expect?

Oh, good, you didn't actually read what I said, but rather ploughed forward with what you had said prior to my post. The hallmark of intelligence.

Of course i didn't. I had my head up my ass.
Thanks for confirming my intelligence, by the way. I was starting to worry there for second.

Of course i didn't. I had my head up my ass.
Thanks for confirming my intelligence, by the way. I was starting to worry there for second.

I have chosen to decide that your post is not sarcasm, and your shame is so delicious I don't think I can eat for the rest of the day.

What's interesting is how they just decided to scrap L4D1 altogether and just start basically from scratch. I would rather them have marketed it as more of an expansion pack than a separate game because I don't think the overall changes made to the game warrant calling it an entirely new one. Yes, there's a new weather system, yes, there's new melee weapons, yes, there are undoubtedly new infected, yes, the campaigns are connected by a plot, but it somehow doesn't come across to me as an entirely new experience. It undoubtedly does smack of a bit of greed to me, but I don't think that was Valve's motivation for creating this "new" game. I agree with those of you who said that L4D1 had too many limitations to allow for certain gameplay additions and changes to implemented, and I don't disagree with the creation of the game itself- I disagree with it being marketed as the wholly new and original experience, which by the sounds of things it doesn't really seem to be.

I guess the ratio of 1 female to survivor to 3 males is constant in the event of a zombie outbreak.

WAIT WHAT! ALREADY? This better be goddamn good if I'm going to change my financial plans on what video games I can buy this year.

WAIT WAIT thar, what if Half Life 2 EP3 was bundled with Left 4 Dead 2 in an "orange box" type deal. It could be the multi-player part of it just like TF2 was for the Orange Box. It could be called the "Red Box" or the "Green Box" or something.

This actually makes sense. I hope it comes down to that.

*facepalm*

It's an early version of the game, what do you expect?

If it's not ready to be shown they shouldn't show it, surely the point of the trailers is to give you an idea of what the final build will look like. Also the lack of polish goes to weapon and enemy ideas: incidenary bullets? Chainsaws? Zombies in bio hazard suits?

Meh, all clinché's. It just doesn't feel right. Not at all. :(

The melee weapons certainly seem a bit... un-Valvelike.

You realise as an embodiment of an entire film genre it's meant to have clinché's? The first L4D had a bunch too.

Let's hope that's the case! Maybe that's what they'll be announcing tomorrow.

At the very least I hope they make some mention of Ep 3. And not in a "we've cancelled it" kind of way.

As for L4D2: Valve's very bold to announce a release date as soon as they've announced the game itself - not only that, but a release date that's within a few months (though I'm sure Microsoft pressured them into it). I fully expect there to be delays, though, hahah.

If they make some sort of bundle with Ep 3/Portal 2/etc., they'd probably do well to include L4D1 the way the Orange Box had HL2 and Ep 1 on it.

You realise as an embodiment of an entire film genre it's meant to have clinché's? The first L4D had a bunch too.

This man speaks the truth. L4D makes fun of horror movies. Oh, and melee weapons look fun to use.

Edit: someone listen podcast, and write down what they say (to keep whiners shut their mouth).

Okay well I'll just say they seem naff.

I mean we already have the Dead Rising games for cheesy zombie apocalypse, I got the impression L4D wanted to be a bit more mature about it all.

(Also, why haven't they made a for a totally different setting? As someone else said a Left 4 Dead set in England would have been excellent and probably such a radical change of setting would have removed any doubts people have of this being a rushed cash in on the franchise.)

Why can't L4D1 and L4D2 actually coexist in the future? L4D1 being a serious horror movie like game while L4D2 is it's dumb over the top sequel. Why does everone assume they will stop updating L4D1 after this is released? Also, I'm almost sure L4D2 is NOT coming this november, this is valve we're talking about after all.

I have chosen to decide that your post is not sarcasm, and your shame is so delicious I don't think I can eat for the rest of the day.

Careful, i wouldn't want you to catch a bad case of "asinine" behavior and speak your mind.

What the.....

My mind is so blown right now.

What????
I'm actually upset about this. This is a total milking move, this game better be extremely different for them to go as far to make a Sequel after only a year. I mean really different.

I'd rather not see Valve turn into your typical game publisher that spits out mediocre sequels.

Most of all, I am upset that there is no mention of Episode 3

What the.....

My mind is so blown right now.

What????
I'm actually upset about this. This is a total milking move, this game better be extremely different for them to go as far to make a Sequel after only a year. I mean really different.

I'd rather not see Valve turn into your typical game publisher that spits out mediocre sequels.

Most of all, I am upset that there is no mention of Episode 3
What I want to know by this move is, who is going to play L4D1..?

If the game is going to be a completely better experience, why would I even play the 1st one? What is the benefit of touching that first game? The characters that have the tiniest story to them? The incredibly simple and relatively easy gameplay compared to L4D2? I just don't see a point to ever go back to L4D1.

Somebody needs to tell Valve about Episode 3. I really, really hope they give us a ****ton of information about it this week.

I'd rather get some EP3 than a sequel to a game from last year. wtf valve? :/

Ah, I love it when people get pissed because a company makes a decision. It makes my pants nice and tight.

I'm kinda stoked about this. Looks like it can be fun. I can't wait to see more info on it, though.

Well, now I'm not sure if I wanna get Left 4 Dead or wait for the sequel. D:

Still, don't see what people are complaining about. They're getting another Valve game, and it's a sequel to a good one.

If the game is going to be a completely better experience, why would I even play the 1st one? What is the benefit of touching that first game? The characters that have the tiniest story to them? The incredibly simple and relatively easy gameplay compared to L4D2? I just don't see a point to ever go back to L4D1.

This reminds me of Unreal 2003. 2004 was practically 2003 with added on content.
2003 became obsolete once 2k4 came out.
If they included all of the current content of Left4Dead and offered us a discount/upgrade to the new game, then i wouldn't mind paying a a few bucks for it.

Yes. Well, I expected (sort of) for a sequel to be a mode in which you might be able to play a more realistic, more "open" zombie outbreak mode.

That was one of my problems with the first, while fun, I always wanted to play a CO-OP zombie game that was much more like in the films, IE: Not hundreds of zombies running at you every second.
I know, there are games that kind of do this, like Zombie Panic and Zombie Master. However, I would like something on a much deeper level, all while having Vavle's engine.
Something that would capture, to a degree, the real feeling of a zombie outbreak, and the things you would have to do to survive, but of course not going as far as eating/drinking.

Wow... this is the definitely the last thing I expected. I hope we still see more for the first L4D, but it may be that I don't want to move on just yet.

And this?
The Director even has discretion over the layout of certain sections of levels. In New Orleans we reached a graveyard that is different each time you play.

**** yes. I've been wanting this feature in L4D for months.

Yaaaaay, I get to spend MORE money on another tiny game!

Trailer was awesome. I'm eager to find out who the voice actors are - the coach character (I'm presuming) sounded a little like Cutty from The Wire. :D
He actually is! Chet confirmed it in the podcast :D

Edit: someone listen podcast, and write down what they say (to keep whiners shut their mouth).
This whole internet ranting is actually addressed in the podcast, but the hell if I'm spoonfeeding the whiners who are too lazy to read a full post. They'll probably twist my words anyway.

wow wasn't expecting this because just didn't seem real but im going to be buying this for sure when it comes out i hope anyway just me that epsidoe three will have the AI director in it because it is a very good program

Ugh, so much ignorant whining.

I love the idea it could be another Orange box style bundle.

I won't really be able to make an assessment as to what I think until E3 is over. Although I liked L4D, I wouldn't consider it what of my favorites. What I really want is HL2: Ep. 3, so if Valve is still planning to announce this in their meeting tomorrow (hopefully along with Portal 2) I would be absolutely thrilled! I'm foreseeing some type of Orange Box deal; I really see no other reason for Valve to rush getting L4D2 out instead of waiting. Perhaps the bundle will have L4D2, Portal 2, HL2: Ep3, and maybe some extra content for TF2 (not even going to mention CS2).

BTW: That's my pipedream.

Samon said:
More insults
Even further insults, in response to the insults that were a response to the original insults.

Oh the wit. It's like seeing Oscar Wilde debate Mark Twain.

I too am enraged by this announcement. By God, if they don't spend eight or nine years on the development of a game they're just not trying.

Or: YES! More L4D! Awesome!

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad they're making L4D2, but it's still trivial to me as to what they're going to do with L4D.

Either way, I can't wait! :D

Eh, not too thrilled about it. If anything this seems more like a $20 DLC, and that wouldn't gouge players from the first game.

To those who think they are white knights in defense of Valve; this really is rare behavior for the company. An immediate sequel to an IP which has only seen one major content update? And yes, of course all the features announced so far could be implemented by a competent mod team.

I see no reason why melee weapons would wreak havoc on L4D as it is. It still requires you get close enough to be lunch before you can take a swing and they could be added to maps at Valve's discretion.

if valve had like, yknow, asked people who like their games which one they would like to play a sequal to, how far down that list would left 4 dead be?

it'd be like 4th or 5th place on mine...

Back