Left 4 Dead 2 Announced, Coming this November

Eh, not too thrilled about it. If anything this seems more like a $20 DLC, and that wouldn't gouge players from the first game.

To those who think they are white knights in defense of Valve; this really is rare behavior for the company. An immediate sequel to an IP which has only seen one major content update? And yes, of course all the features announced so far could be implemented by a competent mod team.
The weather system? The advanced AI director? The levels changing? The character development? The crescendo moments no longer about shiva stacking?

He actually is! Chet confirmed it in the podcast :D

I knew it! ****ing EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! :D

I'm stupidly excited about this news for some reason, haha! That said, the next David Simon show is set in New Orleans aswell.

The weather system? The advanced AI director? The levels changing? The character development? The crescendo moments no longer about shiva stacking?

use big font next time, some people seem to ignore other posts

I wish this was a joke but sadly its not. Bring on some EP3 or CS2 news. This game looks pretty meh if you ask me. Definitely would not pay 50 or 60 dollars for it that's for sure.

See above post Trooper. MS announced L4D-2, why would they be announcing any other Valve projects?

use big font next time, some people seem to ignore other posts
There's going to be a new gameplay mode as well, it seems (still unannounced), besides campaign, versus and survival mode.

I'm not thrilled about new L4D (whatever that news is, new game or DLC) because I always wait a valve title with anticipation but this was not for me after all.

BUT...if they bundle this with Ep3 and maybe Portal 2 then I'm sold. Not for L4D2 but on the move and the overall deal.

P.S: I forgot to rant: Please valve do something with CS. Update? New content? CS2? something...

P.S.2: I would surely preferred a new "TF2" announcement...

lol no ep3 info, the only thing i can think off that would delay the game so much is either a major engine upgrade or alot of gameplay like HL2.

This is how it goes:

Half Life- Half Life 2: 6 years

Half Life 2- HL2 EP1: 1 1/2 years

HL2 Ep1- HL2Ep2: 1year and five months

Team Fortress Classic- Team Fortress 2: 8-9 years

Counter Strike- CSS: 5-6 years

Left 4 Dead- Left 4 Dead 2: 1 day shy of a year

it aint that ludacris because guess what? Valve may finally be better at timing

anyone notice there's no vignetting / film grain in this one? They doing away with trying to make it like a movie?

anyone notice there's no vignetting / film grain in this one? They doing away with trying to make it like a movie?

There's a lot of stuff in those trailers looks like it still needs polishing. Maybe they'll add it later on in development.

I think it also has to do with it taking place in daylight. The film grain was always more obvious in the dark in L4D1.

lol no ep3 info, the only thing i can think off that would delay the game so much is either a major engine upgrade or alot of gameplay like HL2.

Valve haven't even made their announcements yet, this was given by Microsoft.

I feel like a broken record.

Seems to me Valve are looking to quickly cash in on this Left 4 Dead franchise.

I just don't see how Left 4 Dead is worth $39.99 when TF2 has much more content and focus from Valve and has a price of half of Left 4 Dead. Although we don't know what the price point of L4D2 is going to be, I would not doubt it would carry a price tag the same as it's predecessor. I do feel however this should be an expansion at most if not an update, but again I doubt that because why would they sell it for the 360 at $59.99 and sell it on PC for $15-$20? I just don't see that happening.

Some people point out the fact that this usually does not follow the trend of Valve's untimely releases, I agree that it is very odd. Maybe they got tricks up their sleeves? Perhaps they want the people to realize that quick releases aren't always top tier ala the COD franchise. Or it could just be that i'm just speculating too much and maybe Valve are really starting to drop the ball. Who knows, more to update in the future I guess.

But **** it, i'll support Valve at the end of the day and the game still looks badass! The new melee combat is a no-brainer and what's up with the hazmat zombies? I hope there is a deeper story too, because that's what Left 4 Dead is lacking.

At this point they likely only have one level ready for show. It doesn't mean it is representative of the entire game.

Why is that douchebags like you feel the urge to insult anybody that disagrees with your opinions?

lol irony

LOL IRONY! LOL IRONY LOLOLOL

This is very ironic.

I'm still iffy about this. I think that once November rolls around again, however, it'll feel fresher than it does now.

I guess I should be happy I haven't actually bought Left 4 Dead yet.

Seems really unlike Valve, and not even the RPS preview convinces me. I'll wait and see.

Don't you people understand? The first game was all about being similar to classic horror zombie movies. It was built around many cliched moments which came together to make the game into what it is. However, in order to complete it, Valve must make the ultimate sacrifice: a rushed, awful sequel that ruins the entire franchise. Although many of you probably wish that this wasn't true, it has to be this way. Otherwise the cliched movie moments that the first game worked so hard to achieve will forever be incomplete.

OMA! (oh my athiest) lol i think im going to die from the long wait!

thanks for the info dude!

What did HL2 have over HL1?

It added a few new aliens (and took some away). The soldiers returned and were made easier. There were a few new bosses and they added vehicle sections. There were fewer weapons and it was a shorter game. The basic gameplay was pretty identicle. The inventory system is the same. The health and armour system is the same. You still have a flashlight. The UI and basic controls are almost identicle. HL2 was astoundingly uninovative, yet this site is dedicated to it. HL1 was rough around the edges, but HL2 took the same core game and polished the hell out of it. If Valve do the same thing again for L4D, but do it in five years less time than they for the HL series, then great!

I see two clear contrasts in opinions so far. The people who see this as nothing but a rather hefty upgrade, and the people who think if you don't appreciate Valve's work you're a whinning bitch.

Let's break it down:

Either Valve has been planning L4D2 before L4D was released, or the alterations to the L4D code were relatively minimal.
The release dates aren't even a full year apart from each other. Something extremely odd for Valve to do.
Since they're calling it "Left 4 Dead 2" it's safe to assume that they'll be charging full retail price for a few additions (and yes, it's not that different).

That being said, I think L4D2 looks amazing, but calling it L4D2 feels like a complete sham. I wouldn't mind paying for an expansion, but simply the act of calling it a sequel smells oddly like milking.

I, for one, will remain skeptical until Valve can prove to me that L4D2 is worthy of the "2" (instead of the more obvious L4D 1.5).

HL2 lacks dark humour, but it's still a great game.

By the looks of it they should've named it Left 4 Dead: [subtitle] and it would be more accurate content wise and people wouldn't bitch as much.

Frankly I think your onto something with that. That they've marked it out as a clear cut sequel rather than an expansion seems to be the real thorn for people. Reading the crib sheets and watching the footage it definitely seems like a much more expanded game (area hits, melee combat, expanded range of weapons, new characters and mobs), but straight up calling it L4D2 rather than L4D: Deep South or Left4Dead:New Orleans is what's gotten people riled.

Don't you people understand? The first game was all about being similar to classic horror zombie movies. It was built around many cliched moments which came together to make the game into what it is. However, in order to complete it, Valve must make the ultimate sacrifice: a rushed, awful sequel that ruins the entire franchise. Although many of you probably wish that this wasn't true, it has to be this way. Otherwise the cliched movie moments that the first game worked so hard to achieve will forever be incomplete.

We've gone from "U GUISE R RIDUNKULOUS!" to this? My lord... So many negative comments... I think too many of you guys labeled Valve as "THE GOOD GUISE!" of gaming, when it turns out, they want money just as much as any other human being. Can't blame them for wanting a little extra cash to pocket... Maybe they're wanting to up-size so they can get games out faster in the future, hmm? I think it's been too long that Valve was "The Little Guy" in gaming. I love that everybody knows how awesome they are now. This can only help.

I see two clear contrasts in opinions so far. The people who see this as nothing but a rather hefty upgrade, and the people who think if you don't appreciate Valve's work you're a whinning bitch.

Let's break it down:

Either Valve has been planning L4D2 before L4D was released, or the alterations to the L4D code were relatively minimal.
The release dates aren't even a full year apart from each other. Something extremely odd for Valve to do.
Since they're calling it "Left 4 Dead 2" it's safe to assume that they'll be charging full retail price for a few additions (and yes, it's not that different).

That being said, I think L4D2 looks amazing, but calling it L4D2 feels like a complete sham. I wouldn't mind paying for an expansion, but simply the act of calling it a sequel smells oddly like milking.

I, for one, will remain skeptical until Valve can prove to me that L4D2 is worthy of the "2" (instead of the more obvious L4D 1.5).

Think I heard in the RPS podcast that they began working on L4D2 in January. So assuming it releases in November, that's an impressive schedule, especially for Valve :p

There's also still the possibility that it's going to be part of an Orange Box like thing.

I just hope they charge me less for it.

It clearly looks like a massive improvement, and I had fun with L4D while my regular gaming group was still together. Hopefully by the time this launches, my buddy will have saved up enough to get herself a sound card again, and we can go back to killing zombies.

By the way, with added Valve time, I estimate a release early/mid next year.

boo left 4 dead 2 yay ep3
hey a guy can dream cant he?

tbh this "L4D2" should have been DLC (not 12 copy and paste map and redundant game mode)

and get that SDK up and running ffs. (6 months and counting)

L4D2 seems like a good idea, considering that l4d is redudant and way too predictable (see a tank: throw a molotov and run in circle, spam melee when you see a hunter, hide in this spot, etc...). The idea is great, but the game is a little flawed, I'll probably buy the new L4D, hoping the new gameplay and director make the game less of a routine.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and WHINE WHINE WHINE VALVe WANTS MY MONEY!!! WHINE WHINE WHINE

Sorry to double post but I also wanted to add: I do hope, though, that this was not being developped by the same team working on Ep3, and that Ep3 is still being worked on at full speed.

Back