Left 4 Dead 2 Community DLC Coming + Remaining L4D1 Campaigns Being Ported

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
In a new post on the Left 4 Dead 2 blog, Valve have announced that 'sometime after Portal 2', Left 4 Dead 2 will be getting new DLC. However, it will involve community made campaigns with the main one being developed by the talented mapper Matthew Lourdelet, called Cold Stream. Other community made maps created for this DLC should be innovative and not based around story.
The easiest starting point for new campaigns is the three remaining Left 4 Dead 1 campaigns, so the DLC will include those. We also want something brand new and Cold Stream is the perfect fit.
Cold Stream will be added to L4D2 soon in an early version for playtesting purposes with a new forum section for feedback here. This is only open to PC and Mac users but the entire DLC will eventually be released to PC, Mac and xbox 360.

Well that's nice. Not all that surprising, but it kind of obsoletes L4D1. Not that it really matters all that much at this point since L4D2 has been on sale for so cheap it's ridiculous to keep avoiding it. I figure if you haven't bought it by now, you probably won't.

Well that's nice. Not all that surprising, but it kind of obsoletes L4D1. Not that it really matters all that much at this point since L4D2 has been on sale for so cheap it's ridiculous to keep avoiding it. I figure if you haven't bought it by now, you probably won't.
Some people prefer L4D1's balance.

Not so bothered about the DLC, but would love to play the original campaigns in L4D2.

Will they port over the original characters too?

No, they aren't. I also find L4D1 superior. L4D2 can often become a spam festivale.

Anyone concerned about balance in L4D is not properly enjoying ****ing shooting zombies.

you never played versus, did you?

Versus is full of elitist c*nts that flip the **** out if you do anything wrong.
No room for newbies.

Looking forward to using the new classes on the original maps. Should be fun to try some new stuff out on them. Prefer all of the original maps over the l4d2 one too.

So after paying $50 for L4D, they are bringing it to L4D 2. I'm am pissed.

I don't like how they are porting the L4D maps to L4D2. Its almost giving a free version of L4D away.

I'm not sure there's any denying the questionable nature of this decision.

How DARE they give us free content. :flame:

No, they aren't. I also find L4D1 superior. L4D2 can often become a spam festivale.

I'm not sure what that means, but I disagree with your preference. I think the biggest appeal of the original, to me, is the charm of its familiarity, its set in stone DO A AND B TO REACH C, OH GOOD JOB. This is also its greatest downfall. It tries so hard to give you that promised dynamic experience every game, and hell, it's a noble effort, but it doesn't happen. Sure, the zombies come at different times, the tanks come at different times, a smoker or hunter will snag ya, but it's such a narrow range of variation and experience that any campaign can be mastered, as if it was a completely predictable SP experience. I've watched teams (scores of times) not have a single player incapped with a good finale strategy in VS, and not because the infected suck, but because they're masters of that finale. There are 3 guns, 6 hold out spots, 8 medkits, and 3 molotovs, and with the right combination of all of them, they are untouchable.

I have never seen that in L4D2. I have tried the same strategy multiple times in different game modes, meeting incredible victory and hilarious defeat. It is the authentic cooperative panic zone.

Agreed. L4D is more fun when it's chaotic and spitters do a fabulous job of destroying corner stacking.

love both l4d1 and 2. Bought l4d1 when it was $30 about six months before l4d2 dropped. Bought l4d2 on day one and have been loving it ever since. I prefer the campaigns in l4d2 because I like the variety of finales/events compared to l4d1's where all the finales were similar (hold out as long as you can). I don't play competitive online modes so I don't care about any of that crap. Its gonna be awesome to play the l4d1 stuff with my gf whos never played l4d1.

Agreed. L4D is more fun when it's chaotic and spitters do a fabulous job of destroying corner stacking.

Well yeah, that and the more open level design and more active crescendos make it effectively impossible.

Back