Left 4 Dead 2 Released

Pi Mu Rho

ValveTime Admin | Enemy of fun
Staff member
Reaction score

[br]Steam should now be decrypting the L4D2 game files if you have pre-loaded the game. Beware of server problems for the first few hours - there are always teething problems![br]Be sure to try out the new Scavenge Mode, Realism Mode and the new campaigns including the mall. To make your first play through a memorable one:

Being in the EST zone kind of failed me for this release... what with it being over an hour late as well... but the bit I played has been fantastic, especially versus. It seems to me (in first impression) that it will hold up better than L4D's versus in that the varied combination of specials and their abilities will prevent the "hunters will pounce from there, smokers will pull from there, etc" that it boiled down to.

Maybe tomorrow I'll get to do a bit more... :D

Its about damn time! too bad that I'm all ready beat from waiting too long. tomorrow will have to do.

Tried playing through Dead Center. Really enjoyed it, though I didn't make it through the Atrium. I need to get a working headset, because lack of communication was my greatest downfall.

I'm kinda sad it's 3am now. Have to wake up at 6...

I will be far too busy playing Borderlands and Assassins Creed 2 to have time to play this; the world's largest patch.

I will be far too busy playing Borderlands and Assassins Creed 2 to have time to play this; the world's largest patch.

Fallout 3 for kids and world's second largest patch; cool.

In other news, I'll be hounding this with friends later on. Right now I'll have to put it off whilst I go driving with 3 hours sleep under my belt, oh joy.

Just completed Parish finale. Best thing I've ever played in L4D series...my word.

PLayed a vs mode on dead centre and got to the third level. Was great fun! :D
The new infected really work well, and my team found it quite hard as survivors, which is great!

Played 2 games of scavenge too, was awesome fun :D

love this game.

(...) Best thing I've ever played in L4D series... (...)
(...) love this game.
OK, I'm beginning to get all these warm fuzzy feelings; almost about to purchase as well... were it not for my impressions of the demo. Eager to hear some of you guys' more thorough thoughts/reviews! Plus some criticism, just to be reassured I'm not in fanboi heaven. ;)

Some images from my game of Hard Rain. Got a chainsaw and when you get zombie swarms in HR there are HUGE storms where the rain pounds down and the wind picks up. It's so hard to see...but it's so damn fun. Images of this below:

c4m1_milltown_a0000.jpg

c4m4_milltown_b0005.jpg

c4m4_milltown_b0006.jpg

c4m4_milltown_b0008.jpg

c4m4_milltown_b0010.jpg

Those weather effects do look rather lush, seem to add a whole new level to it. I am still not convinced enough to purchase at full price though.

Those weather effects do look rather lush, seem to add a whole new level to it. I am still not convinced enough to purchase at full price though.
I agree. Show us some (more) gameplay footage. Preferably Versus though. ;)

Best thing I've ever played in L4D series.

Is this really saying much? I mean, there are only 2 games in the "series" and the second one was made to be a large improvement over the first and we all knew it would obviously be better.

;) don'tcha love me glenn

Oh, and how does the actual game relate to the demo? Does the latter pale in comparison (a nobrainer actually, but what I mean is: does the demo actually do the game justice)?

The demo does the game a little justice, most notable the super-intense part with the alarm. Playing through Dead Center alone, I was surprised at how many intense moments there were across every map. Even on Normal, I felt pretty devastated by the massive hordes of infected.

I really loved going through the burning hotel in the first part. I had no idea what to expect at that part, but I thought it created another amazing atmosphere that expands beyond L4D1's standard "we like setting every level at night, because night is the only possible setting that is SCARRRRRYYYYYY". Having the build-up of smoke with the flames spreading everywhere in the hotel was starting to make me feel very claustrophobic and almost paranoid that my HP would start going down because there wasn't enough oxygen. It was also hard to see through all of the smoke, but I really liked the challenge.

Well, now I really hope I win that poem contest.

Otherwise it looks like I'll be waiting until one of those 50% off weekends.

A bro was a bro and gave me one of his 4pack fo' free.

Yay

Is this really saying much? I mean, there are only 2 games in the "series" and the second one was made to be a large improvement over the first and we all knew it would obviously be better.

;) don'tcha love me glenn
Except there are now 5 campaigns with dynamic crescendo events meaning there is a great deal of high adrenalin action in L4D2. The Parish finale, in my opinion is the pinnacle of that. Bringing everything together, I don't want to spoil all the things you must do but it's a marathon basically.

Anyway Grumpgeta, you wouldn't understand since you've never owned either game...so getouttamathread!

Every time I try playing it says Installation Incomplete (53). I've verified the integrity of the game's cache and it came back fine. I've restarted Steam several times.

Helplife2.net :(

Every time I try playing it says Installation Incomplete (53). I've verified the integrity of the game's cache and it came back fine. I've restarted Steam several times.

Helplife2.net :(

This link talks about a "(35)" error, not sure if it'll help but it might be worth a try
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1002882&highlight=Installation+Incomplete

Edit: this link might also be worth a look
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9851-PFHN-9932

I litterally fell in love with the concert finale. Picking up a electric guitar smashing zombie faces, while hard rock is pummping out of the speakers somehow made me feel like a rockstar with crazy fans.

Yeah Steam keeps taking a shit every time I try to load it up. Then when it does work it says searching for game updates in the game folder and I can't see any games. This blows! I think I'm just gunna load my Dragon Ages up and have at it

I don't mean to troll or something, but isn't Steams/Valve's support desk a better place to get, well, support for the game you bought from them?

Well, now I really hope I win that poem contest.

Otherwise it looks like I'll be waiting until one of those 50% off weekends.

Ditto, although I'll probably try and get it for Christmas. There probably won't be a 50% off weekend on it for a while and after the numerous glowing reviews and all the game's hype, I don't think I can wait so long.

Verified cache, and every game file was corrupt, and now it's updating, but it's basically downloading every file again... wtf, Valve?

I don't mean to troll or something, but isn't Steams/Valve's support desk a better place to get, well, support for the game you bought from them?

Not on game release day.

I fixed it by the way guys.

Played through the first two campaigns today, and I was really impressed.

The demo does not do it justice, the action is intense, the levels are beautiful, and having sections with tasks to do instead of just defending make things more interesting.

The extra boss zombies really mix up strategies, especially the spitter which often screws up any attempts to hold in a single area.

Finding reliable people is still a problem, had several leave or go idle 2 mins into the game, others playing advanced when they should be on easy. Really wish you could create a microphone users only lobby.

I give it a thumbs up and say it's worth the money :)

Soooo good. However the game doesnt run that great for me : /...even on recommended settings.

Played through dead center and most of dark carnival. I dunno if I'll ever be able to go back.

Played through dead center and most of dark carnival. I dunno if I'll ever be able to go back.

I agree. The game is a real step up from L4D 1 i think. Much more intense, a lot more of those "oh sh*t oh sh*t!" moments.

I especially love the addition of the gauntlets. Its so much panic to have to run to a goal while the Horde is just flooding you.

Back