Left 4 Dead 2 'The Passing' DLC - One Survivor Dies

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
According to Chet in an interview with Gametrailers TV, when we meet the Left 4 Dead 1 survivors in Left 4 Dead 2 DLC The Passing, there will only be 3 survivors remaining. The campaign tagline will be: Nobody Survives Forever[br]With Left 4 Dead 1 also getting DLC in the near future, this campaign will play out the scenario in which one survivor sacrifices them self in order to save the other 3. See the interview on Gametrailers TV.[br]Which survivor is for the chop? Cast your vote in our poll on the Halflife2.net front page

Before someone says Bill is gonna die... I believe the game picks a random character each time. Specially because Chet says 'someone will have to sacrifice for the team on the L4D2 DLC'. If this someone is bound to a certain character, nobody would like to play that character... So, if anyone can decide to be the one doing the dieing part, probably L4D2 DLC reflects that somehow.

What's confusing me is that The Passing is supposed to occur between Dead Center and Dark Carnival. That's just one or two days after the first infection, while L4D1 campaigns all happen after 2 weeks... But at least L4D teaches us a lesson... You never know what you'll find inside a closet!

I wonder if there will be a dude like the church guy but instead of being an s.i he will be part of the survivor squad.

Yeah my money would be on Bill but like PM said, it couldn't be the same character every time.

But wait a minute--isn't there supposed to be a comic book that takes place between these two DLC campaigns to explain how the original survivors arrived in Louisiana?

If the survivor is randomly chosen each time, how will that make sense? Won't they have to at least choose someone to be dead in the comic, and would that be the cannon choice?

Could be random. Otherwise it's Bill because his voice actor died.

i am not so thrilled with this idea to be honest, I am sure people going to have a go at me for saying this but first of all why ruin l4d1 further killing a character off :( there so much better than characters in number 2!! how about kill one of them! and also l4d2 will get content before l4d1? how that work? surely be more suspense to story to play first half in l4d1 first....sigh :( valve really annoyed me with l4d now

Bill will die in canon. Old guys go first when it comes to heroic sacrifice. The L4D1 DLC will have the option of different characters going out in a blaze of glory, I bet.

L4D1 did get content before L4D2... it's called Crash Course.

if the course of action is that one character will die permanently, i really hope it's not bill just because he's old. that would be such a unoriginal and lame excuse for a death. i mean it's not like he hasn't battled through four campaigns already and lived, but then that's down to the player, which makes me believe that a character will die differently each time to be more the case.

This campaign ending better be ****ing epic and jerk tears out of every person playing the game.

i am not so thrilled with this idea to be honest, I am sure people going to have a go at me for saying this but first of all why ruin l4d1 further killing a character off :( there so much better than characters in number 2!! how about kill one of them! and also l4d2 will get content before l4d1? how that work? surely be more suspense to story to play first half in l4d1 first....sigh :( valve really annoyed me with l4d now

From a storytelling perspective, it's meaningless to kill off a character if the audience doesn't care about their life. It also cheapens what character death means across your fiction. (In L4D's case, player death being a very different thing from character death.) Killing a character want to live would not ruin L4D. Killing a character we don't care about might.

Also, Crash Course.

Good suggestions, I think it's a reasonable and likely idea that Valve would go for letting the players
choose. Nontheless, it's fun to vote in a poll!

Bill will die in canon. Old guys go first when it comes to heroic sacrifice. The L4D1 DLC will have the option of different characters going out in a blaze of glory, I bet.

Along with most other people, at least the ones who voted, I thought the same thing but then got
the idea that Francis would be too stubborn to think like that and would just sacrifice himself even
if Bill didn't want him to, being the soft-tough guy that he is, in whatever scenario this may or may
not play out in. Ahem....

I'm thinking Francis.

"I hate surviving."

I wonder how they go? Left behind, I assume.

Hey, maybe its a red herring--the fourth character gets left behind, and then splits off on their own path as a surprise DLC or something later on. Maybe they meet up with the Midnight Riders.

i'd like to say it's something to do with opening a door - or some sort of mechanic - that requires staying in s specific area to man it whilst others can escape, but that's kind of cliche.

I see them using this as a way to chop Rochelle.

I'm thinking Francis.

"I hate surviving."

I wonder how they go? Left behind, I assume.

Hey, maybe its a red herring--the fourth character gets left behind, and then splits off on their own path as a surprise DLC or something later on. Maybe they meet up with the Midnight Riders.

Oh that would be great. I would love Valve forever!

I see them using this as a way to chop Rochelle.

And replace her with Zoey? Hopefully.

Francis would be my second pick, but I really doubt it would be him. Valve could surprise us of course; we can only wait and see.

if the course of action is that one character will die permanently, i really hope it's not bill just because he's old. that would be such a unoriginal and lame excuse for a death. i mean it's not like he hasn't battled through four campaigns already and lived, but then that's down to the player, which makes me believe that a character will die differently each time to be more the case.

I can see Bill dying and not because he is old, just cause it seems like something a veteran would do. I think if Valve did kill him they'd play the veteran card and not the old card.

They always kill the black guy off first. Its a fact.

Back