Left 4 Dead announced - Valve does zombies!

From what I saw and read so far, this games will be really really incredible. I like lots of the new features the AI has, such as fighting while knocked down, and automatically calling out positions. I'm expecting to see these new Source features transfered over into the future HL2 episodes. That would be really nice,

well i certainly dont want anyone to pm me the scans, because im a good boy and do everything legal ;-)

So basically with that list of weapons, this is just Counter-Strike: Source with zombies as the enemy.

That has already been done by Australians, http://www.zombiehorde.com/

A really great mod for CS called Zombie Horde.

So basically with that reply, you're just a monkey with a keyboard.

If we wait long enough will you produce a series of tragic and romantic comedies? That has already been done by Shakespeare.

Zombie Types:

- Normal zombie... Mindless, can lunge at you and are all pretty fast. They don't just wobble towards you and it's easy-pickings. These are all AI controlled.
- Hunter: Zombie with a leap attack and can turn invisible unless a flashlight is put on them, or they attack... Can't remember details on it too much though.
- Boomer: A fat zombie that is fairly slow. He explodes when killed and can barf on the survivors which makes any nearby zombies come towards him and they are his only target.
- Tank/Hulk: Big strong guy who can throw concrete... You don't want to mess with him!
- Smoker: A zombie that when he dies emits a huge cloud of smoke where you can't see at all while in it. He also has a long tongue to pull survivors towards him... Useful in seperating the survivors to make them easy pickings for other zombies.

For the weapons for the survivors:

- M4A1
- Uzi
- Sniper
- Frag Grenade
- Molotov Cocktail
- Pistol
- Shotgun

There may be more, but that's all I remember.

awesome! thanks a bunch.

lol, anyway, it sounds really good. I can't wait to see some more screenshots or even a video, let alone play the full game :)

or merely see teh scanlations...cause nobody sent none to me, but I can't look at any though :S

Steven yes because there have been so many of them thats been released so far, pretty pointless to complain about all the zombie mods untill we have a bunch thats playable innit?

I mean being announced for the source engine, lately I've been really sloppy and careless.

They're all over hl2world, and even oc's forum at this point - google will do you just fine at this point. It definitely looks like... something.

This applies to pretty much all of you. Let me reinstate it.

You're just a monkey with a keyboard.

When Left 4 Dead decides to turn into an RTS, then you can say that they ripped us off. Until then, they're just adding smart AI to the genre of coop-against Zombies.

-Angry Lawyer

I think it is only a small proportion of the people in this thread who anger you. Calm down, love!

Wow! This sounds EXACTLY like that mod... what was it called?? OH YEAH! ZOMBIE MASTAR!!!111

* Angry Lawyer tracks down mortiz's loved ones and ritualistically murders them in their sleep

-Angry Lawyer

Seems to have alot more similarities to nmrih than zm or any other zombie mods for hl2. Pretty shitty for all the zombie mods out there but more so for nmrih I would say. From what I have seen from zm this has very little in common gameplay wise.

I regret bringing up Zombie Master in the first place now. :(

I forgot about NMRiH. To be honest, I'll play them all and they'll all get the playtime they deserve.

I hope that revised AI makes it's way to other source stuffs. For one thing, it sure sounds like they've worked out getting AI to chuck around world objects, be cool to see something similar for hl2dm eventually.

The AI seems like it's going to be flabbergastingly awesome.

Can't wait.

I mean being announced for the source engine, lately I've been really sloppy and careless.

The thing is not so much the fact that there's too many Zombie mods being announced for the source engine but the fact that they all sound like they stole the idea off Zombie Master.

All Source zombie mods must release now or die!

Disclaimer: The above may or may not be true.

Seems to have alot more similarities to nmrih than zm or any other zombie mods for hl2. Pretty shitty for all the zombie mods out there but more so for nmrih I would say. From what I have seen from zm this has very little in common gameplay wise.
Ever heard of Zombie Panic?

I was thinking "ehh ANOTHER zombie mod" but this actually sounds very cool. Have to see how it pans out.

Co-op is the way to go! Co op games are pure sex, and I guess zombies are too...

it should be released withing twenty years. or just the few next months, cause it's only multiplayer, and turtlerock does it, not VALVe, so they won't have to spend awfullly lengths of time developing games with dev-groups of ten to twelfe people cause they've got so much up their asses. Also, like Portal of tf:source, it won't require to much workout.
discuss: WEAPONSLIST!!!!
what I've seen/heard so far: molotovs, grenades, shotguns, uzis, m1911, HOLY SMOKE M60s!!, m16 rifles. Apart from that, melee buttstock slashes and hopefully some other melee stuff...I mean, if you could take out an antguard in hl2 with a mere crowbar, axes should serve the zombies well, wouldn't they?

Sounds good, bt y did dey hav 2 uz txt spk 4 da titl?

Tbh I think this will do exactly to ZM as TFC2 will do to FF - not a great deal. In each case both games/mods will enjoyed by an audience that value one style over the other. TFC2 and FF are more alike than L4D and ZM, and even then I think FF will still find its niche.

Judging by the screens it looks pretty cool, but what will set it apart from the zombie mods in development for Source will ultimately be its gameplay. If the gameplay has no or little replay value and gets boring too quickly it obviously won't cut it. The PCG guys have given it a brilliant send-up, and from what they say it seems like there will be enough class diversity to generate decent longevity, so I suppose it will be down to how polished all of it is (and also that their maps aren't too prescriptive and leave enough room for strategy, instead of simply forcing a set amount of possible tactics).

When you break it down, it sounds more like Natural Selection: Co-op than Zombie Master. You have ranged-attack Survivors (Marines) vs. predominantly close-combat Zombies (Aliens). Hunters, with their "hide-and-pounce technique" sound distinctly Skulk-like. I think that PCGamer are right in saying this game concept "always felt like it was about to happen". I can remember one very similar idea shared on the ModDb that I really liked the idea of, although that one was more like a hybrid of The Thing and Natural Selection in that Aliens could evolve to more powerful lifeforms as they did more damage and even take on human form and walk among their prey.

So, yeah, I'm pretty pleased this has seen the light of day. :)

:LOL:

"When Team Fortress 2 ships Coincident with the Rapture"

:LOL: Now I'll need to play the half life episodes in heaven or hell.

I really don't want any pms containing scans, so don't send me any. Really, guys, don't.

Tbh I think this will do exactly to ZM as TFC2 will do to FF - not a great deal. In each case both games/mods will enjoyed by an audience that value one style over the other. TFC2 and FF are more alike than L4D and ZM, and even then I think FF will still find its niche.

To make another analogy, Zombie Master is to L4D, as Nuclear Dawn is to CTF.

-Angry Lawyer

Don't say that word around here Lawyer! Are you mad!? :eek:

Back