Left 4 Dead Authoring Tools Now Available

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
The beta of the Left 4 Dead Authoring Tools are now available to the public, free for all the owners of the PC version of Left 4 Dead.[br]

<div align="center"> </div>[br]

Here's what's included:
  • Updated version of Hammer, the source level editor
  • Updated suite of command line compiling utilities
  • Updated Particle editor
  • Updated Faceposer
  • Example maps, common infected, props, and explosives

This release also feature a pair of plug-ins for SketchUp (a 3D modeling program you may download for free). These plug-ins gives you the ability to create building blocks and props that can be imported into Hammer for use in game levels.[br]

The matchmaking system will be updated in a few weeks to allow users to play those new maps and campaigns.

Our plan is to release a beta of the Authoring Tools now so the community can start working on maps in the full environment. In a few weeks we will then release the updated match making to allow users to play those new maps and campaigns.

lol Glenn and I both posted this within 5 minutes after you

Triple news post is a first in HL2.net history I'm sure.

Also whoopee for SDK, new survival maps not tied to campaigns I'm hoping for!

... plugins for... SketchUp? COME ON. Make one for a real 3D app like maya or .... maya.

Triple news post is a first in HL2.net history I'm sure.

Also whoopee for SDK, new survival maps not tied to campaigns I'm hoping for!

I started some basic geometry on a custom survival map (based on a part of my university campus) earlier this week, great timing for the SDK to come out :D

I think SketchUp support is awesome!
Also yay; custom maps/campaigns! I assume the 28 Days Later campaign is not far off.

That's what my younger brother said too. It's not my fault that my uni's belltower is a kickass zombie defense point.

I think I'm seeing a lot of IRL locations modelled to test out their viability in a zombie apocolypse...

I get a warm fuzzy feeling inside when I think of all the kids that will waste their summer churning out maps that amount to nothing more than a killbox among thousands of others of its kind.

Why are they calling it "Left 4 Dead Authoring Tools" and not left 4 dead sdk?

Why are they calling it "Left 4 Dead Authoring Tools" and not left 4 dead sdk?

Well, it doesn't sound like it has any source code or anything, so "content authoring tools" is probably a more accurate name than "software development kit."

*braces himself for the tidal wave of shitty survival maps*

Google SketchUp is a quite a good program to use

I don't quite understanding, is it allowing you to export the map to SketchUp and edit it there? or create your map in SketchUp and then import it to Hammer?

I'm confused here.

Google SketchUp is a quite a good program to use

I don't quite understanding, is it allowing you to export the map to SketchUp and edit it there? or create your map in SketchUp and then import it to Hammer?

I'm confused here.

make stuff in Sketchup and then export it to hammer. It also lets you create your own models in sketchup and then import it in hammer

So basically you could design your whole level layout in Sketchup then, that be sweet,

cool...
Now please make a huge update for the hammer editor in general, i need better tools, please do it now valve.
Give me moar ambient occlusion in the lightmaps!! >: O

-dodo

... plugins for... SketchUp? COME ON. Make one for a real 3D app like maya or .... maya.

I think your find Sketchup is a tad cheaper than Maya and a lot easier to master.

Personally I'm glad they finally added Sketchup support, it's a great app and easy to get into.

I thought there already was Maya support, I thought thats what the BM team is using

Valve have an in-house importer & exporter (and, some other scripts) for Maya 2008, but they don't want to release it for reasons unknown.

Valve have an in-house importer & exporter (and, some other scripts) for Maya 2008, but they don't want to release it for reasons unknown.

Who knows they may release it along with the Ep3 SDK

We made a TeamDelta map of our school. The school chaplain thought it was awesome, and more than one teacher was happy to know that our school was trivially defensible. It sucks that the current climate wouldn't view this as a constructive activity.

Also: Woo for SDK!

I think your find Sketchup is a tad cheaper than Maya and a lot easier to master.

Personally I'm glad they finally added Sketchup support, it's a great app and easy to get into.

For simple stuff like boxes yeah. But for characters and shit, it is useless.

I'm not too clear on a few things regarding the SketchUp plug-in. Can one use it to make an entire level? Or is one limited to only props and other parts to add to a level already made in Hammer? And is this plug-in only for L4D or can it be used for TF2 and other mods?

You can make props or maps with the plugin.
Also, it exports to .vmf and .smd so you can use it for any Source based game. GoldSource uses .smd files as well.

It'll be nice to play some maps that aren't stock maps. Don't get me wrong, L4D is awesome, but I am completely bored with the stock maps.... you can only play them so many times.

For simple stuff like boxes yeah. But for characters and shit, it is useless.

The right tools for the right job. Maya is a ridiculous App to use if your simply making maps, where as Sketchup is just the ticket for doing that sort of thing (and 99.9% of people will be making maps at the end of the day).

Also since when do you own a $6K app? :rolleyes:

Back