LOL: ESA fashionably late to the anti-SOPA party

Bad^Hat

The Freeman
Reaction score
I know, another one of these threads, but I couldn't let this escape anyone's notice.

So, the Entertainment Software Association, the group responsible for representing the interests of many major games publishers (who have, most of them, already come out against the bill individually), have today dropped their support for SOPA.

"From the beginning, ESA has been committed to the passage of balanced legislation to address the illegal theft of intellectual property found on foreign rogue sites," the group said in a statement released to media outlets. "Although the need to address this pervasive threat to our industry's creative investment remains, concerns have been expressed about unintended consequences stemming from the current legislative proposals.

"Accordingly, we call upon Congress, the Obama Administration, and stakeholders to refocus their energies on producing a solution that effectively balances both creative and technology interests. As an industry of innovators and creators, we understand the importance of both technological innovation and content protection and are committed to working with all parties to encourage a balanced solution."

Hear that you guys, they've been committed to helping pass "balanced legislation" from the beginning! Legislation which they now admit does not include SOPA. Wait, you mean the same SOPA that they were strongly in favour of just earlier this month, the SOPA that was pulled in it's current form just earlier today? Haha, that bill? Yeah, go **** yourselves, ESA.

So you might be thinking, well, the bill is dead for now, but it's inevitably going to come back in one form or another; maybe the ESA intended this as a long-term pledge to not support any such legislation? I wouldn't bet on it. The timing of this statement and the language they use is a dead giveaway. They stress that they want to support "balanced" legislation, which is exactly what the new bill will be flaunted as. They're going to repackage the bill, make a few concessions to popular concern, and present it as the new, internet friendly SOPA. Then who do you think will go right back to beating the anti-piracy drum? Organisations like ESA. This statement only serves one purpose, and that's to waylay justifiable concern about their position on this kind of legislation. They want to have their cake and **** it too.

What a bunch of spineless assholes.

So you might be thinking, well, the bill is dead for now, but it's inevitably going to come back in one form or another; maybe the ESA intended this as a long-term pledge to not support any such legislation? I wouldn't bet on it. The timing of this statement and the language they use is a dead giveaway. They stress that they want to support "balanced" legislation, which is exactly what the new bill will be flaunted as. They're going to repackage the bill, make a few concessions to popular concern, and present it as the new, internet friendly SOPA. Then who do you think will go right back to beating the anti-piracy drum? Organisations like ESA. This statement only serves one purpose, and that's to waylay justifiable concern about their position on this kind of legislation. They want to have their cake and **** it too.

Gentlemen, behold! The OPEN Act.

The ESA sounds like its run by people who, as kids, would go to a sporting event and keep swapping sides for their "favorite team" depending on who is winning at the moment. They haven't gotten any better at hiding their reasons.

The devs of Firefall backed out of E3 and shutdown service of the game and website for a day to protest SOPA and the ESA. Might be old news though considering. Wonder how long that cancellation of plans will actually last now that ESA back out on their shit.

Amnesty international is a waste of ****ing time and can go burn in a hole.

More like left a few people I know to live in some of the worst conditions imaginable until the day they die. They're all ****ing talk, when it comes down to it they run as fast as possible with their tails between their legs. And then if you're REALLY LUCKY (note: sarcasm) they'll send you a LETTER with a form to fill out, and if you do fill out the form and send it back, you will either get no response or maybe even ANOTHER LETTER. Stating that 'they are working on it' which, when translated into english, reads:

' we are a bunch of shit-stabbing hippie douchebags who talk way more than we should, and we pray every night that the people to whom we send those pointless letters never, ever find us, because we will die slow painful deaths. Which is ironic because thats what WE left THEM to. Also please continue your pointless donations.'

In short, they are not my favourite people.

I see, so they're just as useless and some U.N. policies

As useless as the U.N. Human Rights Council which in practice seems to work against human rights what with it being dominated by countries who violate them on a regular basis?

I predict that this bill will be tucked into another bill at the very bottom, lets say in the summertime (and renamed, slightly altered and very very tediously long) or near the election season when its in full swing and no one will remember it because something worse will be on our minds

I predict that this bill will be tucked into another bill at the very bottom, lets say in the summertime (and renamed, slightly altered and very very tediously long) or near the election season when its in full swing and no one will remember it because something worse will be on our minds
Newt Gingrich killing his wife?

TqKy9.jpg

Back