Lombardi From Japan

rec

Reaction score
Lombardi Talks HL2 From Tokyo Game Show

The Tokyo Game Show 2003 is live and kicking with information and media flooding from the event onto gaming websites big and small. A number of interviews with Valve's Doug Lombardi have surfaced, and while they're in Japanese, you can find a translated version of the For Gamers interview here, and the translation for Famitsu's interview over here (thanks to Altavista's Babelfish engine).

According to these interviews Half-Life 2 is complete, Valve are now fine-tuning and building language conversions for the twelve languages they intend to support. Lombardi also mentions that HL2 will be released simultainiously world-wide and an expansion pack set for a 2004 release is already in development!

According to these interviews Half-Life 2 is complete, Valve are now fine-tuning and building language conversions for the twelve languages they intend to support. Lombardi also mentions that HL2 will be released simultainiously world-wide and an expansion pack set for a 2004 release is already in development!

Keeping in mind this is coming from the guy who garunteed a September 30th release date... http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=205451#post205451

grrr .. if its finished why dont they just release the english version :D lol... anyway thats great news...expansion pack? kinda's takes the focus off the main release abit, dont ya think?

god DAMNIT! freaking assholes are betraying their american fans with this worldwide shit. this is total bullshit, I am NOT paying for hl2 if this is true.

Originally posted by Homer
god DAMNIT! freaking assholes are betraying their american fans with this worldwide shit. this is total bullshit, I am NOT paying for hl2 if this is true.

Oh boohoo, go cry to your mom if this makes you so upset. Most of us realise that this is just a friggin game and waiting a couple of weeks won't make the world go under... I'm sure they won't give a flying fekk if they lose you as a fan.

Originally posted by dantemannen
Oh boohoo, go cry to your mom if this makes you so upset. Most of us realise that this is just a friggin game and waiting a couple of weeks won't make the world go under... I'm sure they won't give a flying fekk if they lose you as a fan.

well buddy, if you dont care about the game then wtf are you doing here? and they are gunna lose a lot more than just me by doing this.

Well by your way of `thinking' we here in England should get it first, seeing as English is our native language after all. In the meantime you have two months to make up a language of your own, although with words like DAMNIT you're clearly well on your way...

:D

well buddy, if you dont care about the game then wtf are you doing here? and they are gunna lose a lot more than just me by doing this.

The real question is wtf are you doing here if you are not going to play the game? And as for the rest of spoiled, whiny little kids like you, good riddance I say. The less of them playing the game, the better multiplier experience the rest of us will have.

Originally posted by BloodyMario
The real question is wtf are you doing here if you are not going to play the game? And as for the rest of spoiled, whiny little kids like you, good riddance I say. The less of them playing the game, the better multiplier experience the rest of us will have.

Ohoo... You so totally owned him there! =)

This would win "most immature post" -contest hands down.

I bet when he goes on holiday he expects the foreigners to speak english, instead of learning how to speak the basic words of the foreign land.
Grow up homer, your attitude of "I'd rather have the world miss out on HL2 so I can play it before them" really stinks.

I'm actually quite pleased that they've decided to hold off for the localisation etc etc, it means we all get to play the game at the same time.

Originally posted by BloodyMario

I said I wasnt buying it. not that I wasnt playing it.

Originally posted by Shamon Mofo
Well by your way of `thinking' we here in England should get it first, seeing as English is our native language after all. In the meantime you have two months to make up a language of your own, although with words like DAMNIT you're clearly well on your way...

but you speak it wrong. learn english you english freaks.

Originally posted by Reiska
This would win "most immature post" -contest hands down.

Im freaking right.

Originally posted by BloodyL
I bet when he goes on holiday he expects the foreigners to speak english, instead of learning how to speak the basic words of the foreign land.
Grow up homer, your attitude of "I'd rather have the world miss out on HL2 so I can play it before them" really stinks.

I'm actually quite pleased that they've decided to hold off for the localisation etc etc, it means we all get to play the game at the same time.

First off, if the game is done in english(it seems that its not anyway. gg hl2.net news staff), then there is no reason not to relese it in english speaking countries now.

second, I speak spanish you twit.

third, holding off so everyone gets to play at the same time is pointless. sitting on a finished game is never a good plan.
I waited for gothic 2, I waited for every ff game I ever cared to play, I waited for mario sunshine, etc...

lol, you're really strange.

Why the hell are you going on about Valve betraying their american fans resulting in you not buying the game, when you're not even american?

Yes, the game is done primarily in english, but what about the foreigners who cannot read/write/speak english?, you'd rather see them wait for the game while everyone lucky enough to understand english has long since played and completed the game?.... that's very selfish.

I tell you what, let's tell Squaresoft to release their latest Final Fantasy game in it's native language and we'll see how many spanish people can understand it let alone play it.

I'm guessing you've never had a lot of contact with more than two children for a period of time, if you give something to only one, the other two scream for something, give two children something and the third kicks a fuss because he/she feels left out.
Giving all three children something at the same time means all three children are happy and you are happy.

Besides, it's pointless arguing and getting all worked up over it, Valve have decided to do it and there is nothing you or I can do about it.

Originally posted by BloodyL
lol, your really strange.

Why the hell are you going on about Valve betraying their american fans resulting in you not buying the game, when you're not even american?

Yes, the game is done primarily in english, but what about the foreigners who cannot read/write/speak english?, you'd rather see them wait for the game while everyone lucky enough to understand english has long since played and completed the game?.... that's very selfish.

I tell you what, let's tell Squaresoft to release their latest Final Fantasy game in it's native language and we'll see how many spanish people can understand it let alone play it.

I'm guessing you've never had a lot of contact with more than two children for a period of time, if you give something to only one, the other two scream for something, give two children something and the third kicks a fuss because he/she feels left out.
Giving all three children something at the same time means all three children are happy and you are happy.

Besides, it's pointless arguing and getting all worked up over it, Valve have decided to do it and there is nothing you or I can do about it.

I am NOT from/in spain, I just happen to speak spanish. I live in the usa.

Not 5 minutes ago I had 2 2nd cousins of mine at my house, one 2 and one 3. they proceded to fight over a ball for about 20 minutes untill I brought out 2 guitars I have for them to play with. the 3 year old wanted the guitar the 2 year old had untill they traded, then he wanted his back. it was quite funny really. But that has no bearing on the release of hl2.

It is standard practise to release a game in the countries native language up to a year in advance of worldwide. I can understand wanting a worldwide release, but why sit on a finished game? they dont even have to do anything, vivendi handles distrobution.

stfu, I dont hear people in spain btchin about people in mexico speaking spanish or the english btchin about austrialia speaking english. Not trying to flame but sounds like you have a deep rooted inferiority complex towards americans. Just my thoughts though. People like you give english people a bad name.

Originally posted by Grimkeeper
stfu, I dont hear people in spain btchin about people in mexico speaking spanish or the english btchin about austrialia speaking english. Not trying to flame but sounds like you have a deep rooted inferiority complex towards americans. Just my thoughts though. People like you give english people a bad name.

I think people like elton john give the british a bad name, but I agree with the inferior part of that. Go usa! were number one!

sounds like you have a deep rooted inferiority complex towards americans.

Sounds like you have a deep rooted superiority complex towards the rest of the world.
And Homer, try not to post anymore because you're making an ass outta yourself.

Originally posted by bastard_loud
Sounds like you have a deep rooted superiority complex towards the rest of the world.
And Homer, try not to post anymore because you're making an ass outta yourself.

well **** you too.

Good job Homer!

The thing you seem to be missing is that I am completely right about this. The fact that the news post is wrong notwithstanding, they have no reason to hold off distribution by 2 months for a worldwide release.

You are completely clueless about this.

You have no way of telling how far VALVe is with the game at this time.
So don't go around "schooling people", like you're Gabe Newell himself. Use your brain before you post.

You are completely clueless about this.

You have no way of telling how far VALVe is with the game at this time.
So don't go around "schooling people", like you're Gabe Newell himself. Use your brain before you post.

I was going off the newspost, as I have stated before. I also stated that It turns out the newspost is wrong, so this is all pointless. it has become a hypothetical. Read my posts before you flame me jackass.

Like i said, stop posting Homer because you're making an ass outta yourself. I'm not really sure what counts as flaming in my posts, but you probably deserved it for being an ignorant troll.

If you go around typing shit about a newspost that you thought was wrong in the first place, then who's the jackass here?

I thought it was RIGHT in the first place, because it made the front page. After seeing an email Gabe sent shortly after it went up it became clear that it is incorrect. But by that time people were already saying it would be fine to delay it for this multilingual crap, and I had to dispute them. And almost all of your posts have taken a hostile tone towards me jackass. Just freaking read them.

I only get hostile when people deserve it.
Now before you say you don't deserve to be treated like an 11 year old troll, read your own "freaking" posts and see why people give you this treatment.

Anyway, i'm done with you.

So basically I wont have this game tomorow because of the french?

DAMN FRENCH PEOPLE :mad:

The state of some people's language on these forums are getting worse. If you want to be abusive to someone or try to offend them don't bother. Go elsewhere and do it.

The game still needs a lot of work. There's also other factors you don't know about that are essential for the release of Half-Life 2 and until those are sorted nothing will happen.

I only get hostile when people deserve it.
Now before you say you don't deserve to be treated like an 11 year old troll, read your own "freaking" posts and see why people give you this treatment.

Anyway, i'm done with you.

Well I aint done with you yet boy. Climb off your high horse and look at what you wrote. Nothing but flaming and repeating what the guys above you said, you didn’t even attempt to look at it objectively. I stated several times that I was referring to the info in the news post, and despite the fact that it was discredited by Gabe, what I said still stands. Little arrogant kiddies like you are exactly what make forums so irritating. You think that because you spell check everything you post and make fun of anyone who drops and "o" off of "too" you are somehow superior. Grow the hell up.

That said, the news post IS wrong (well, discredited) so there isn’t really any point in talking about the multilanguage release anymore.

I rest my case.

I think my anger was TOTALY justified. And I would still be that mad if it were true, thank god it is not. I am NOT going to pay for hl2 if they delay it just for a worldwide release. I was pretty damn pissed off when I posted that, but I still feel justified in being that angry at valve if they delay the game for something that stupid. but, like I said, it seems that they arent.

Even if it was true, it's pretty lame and selfish to be pissed off about it.
The USA and UK weren't the only countries that made HL1 a success you know.

Looking at that, why would it be stupid to delay the game just to get a worldwide release? Aren't there HL2 fans all over the world, waiting for the next installment of their favorite game?
Just because VALVe is an English speaking company, doesn't mean they should give the USA and UK the game first. A lot of their money will come from non-english countries. Why shouldn't VALVe care about them?

Computers, games, the internet etc are international things or mediums.
People really need to start thinking outside of their country's borders.

Honestly I have no idea what you're banging on about! As you say those are just your thoughts but here's the thing - you might want to actually think them through before you post them next time.

Now if you'll excuse me Mr Freud I'm off to work on that "deep rooted inferiority complex towards Americans" of mine :LOL:

Priceless.

Even if it was true, it's pretty lame and selfish to be pissed off about it.
The USA and UK weren't the only countries that made HL1 a success you know.

Looking at that, why would it be stupid to delay the game just to get a worldwide release? Aren't there HL2 fans all over the world, waiting for the next installment of their favorite game?
Just because VALVe is an English speaking company, doesn't mean they should give the USA and UK the game first. A lot of their money will come from non-english countries. Why shouldn't VALVe care about them?

Computers, games, the internet etc are international things or mediums.
People really need to start thinking outside of their country's borders.

if it were done in english, sitting on it just to be fair would be freaking stupid. a lot of people in other countries choose to import english games because they dont like dubs. and a lot of people here import forein games for the same reason. people in other countires would not have to wait any extra time for it, since all valve really has to do to get it out is send vivendi a copy and call it gold.

I can't understand it.

"Obtaining you obtain, as for some puzzle remains."

*snort*

:p

English site anywhere it this is? ;)

By the way, just EVERYONE shut up. It's not coming tomorrow, it'll come when it comes, OK?! BUY A NEW GAME TO KEEP YOURSELF OCCUPIED!

Jeez. "I'm an American, I want it NOW, GODDAMIT, NOW! I GET EVERYTHING ELSE ON-DEMAND, GIVE ME!" If that isn't arrogance, I don't know what is. How old are you man? I'm 15 and I have more worldwide sense about me...AND I live in Minnesota.

I don't think you really know what goes into game development...especially with languages.

But oh well, you can just sit here arguing about it, or actually go play a game or, *gasp* READ A BOOK!

...whatever...

Originally posted by SubKamran
By the way, just EVERYONE shut up. It's not coming tomorrow, it'll come when it comes, OK?! BUY A NEW GAME TO KEEP YOURSELF OCCUPIED!

Jeez. "I'm an American, I want it NOW, GODDAMIT, NOW! I GET EVERYTHING ELSE ON-DEMAND, GIVE ME!" If that isn't arrogance, I don't know what is. How old are you man? I'm 15 and I have more worldwide sense about me...AND I live in Minnesota.

I don't think you really know what goes into game development...especially with languages.

But oh well, you can just sit here arguing about it, or actually go play a game or, *gasp* READ A BOOK!

...whatever...

First off kiddy, I know its not coming out the 30th. the idea of that newspost was that it was being held up for translation. which would be bogus.

And btw: I sure as hell DO know what goes into a normal software development process, I spent 2 years studying for a com-sci degree. untill I decided I couldnt stand debuging software.

so go enjoy one of these 'book' you speak of and stfu.

Honestly I have no idea what you're banging on about! As you say those are just your thoughts but here's the thing - you might want to actually think them through before you post them next time.

Now if you'll excuse me Mr Freud I'm off to work on that "deep rooted inferiority complex towards Americans" of mine :LOL:

Priceless.

Heh, I am just joking around.
Trying to make light of the fact that I will not be playing halflife 2 tomorrow or the next day or the next...

As I've posted before...

Please refrain from using and directing derogatory language in such a negative and belittling tone. It wont be tolerated, we're trying to build this community without that type of negativity.

Use your brain and vocabulary to argue your points, instead of simple, peasant-like name calling.

Oh and Homer...

First off, if the game is done in english(it seems that its not anyway. gg hl2.net news staff), then there is no reason not to relese it in english speaking countries now.

Point out to me where in this news post it specifies that they are or are not still working on the English game language?

We are correct when we say that the game has been held back, and one of the reasons specified is the language translations - this came from Doug's mouth (not that it's entirely reputable as of late). They need this to be done before they can make a world-wide release.

Back