Looking for a new cell phone

Dedatorv

Reaction score
Right now I have the LG VX6100(I believe its that, or the 6000), I absolutely hate it. I originally had the VX4400, comparing the vx4400 to the 6100, I would have taken the 4400.

The 6100 side buttons stick out way too far so they become easily pressed if they are in my pocket. Resulting in either my phone being turned off of Manner Mode, turning on Driving mode which is the most rediculous thing ever, or taking photos of my pocket. Whatever happens I don't like it. On the VX4400 I had no problems whatsoever of them being pressed(I once and a while did, but with the 6100 it is every other day.) Why don't you just keep your phone off? Well I tried doing that, and if I was in a hurry or something important came up it takes approximately half a minute for the damn thing to power up, really inconvenient because I mainly just forget about my phone when its off.

The driving mode/voice dial is horrible, I mean absolutely horrible. Instead of allowing you to program the phone to dial a number by your voice, it attempts to enunciate the name using really old technology(Anyone remember those text to speech programs that would read the text on your PC? Well the phone is as bad as that) and tries to compare how it would enunciate it to how you enunciated it. There is no way you can set it so that your voice is what it tries to recognize(Kinda hard to explain). First I have to say 'Contacts' and pray that it recognizes that, then I have to say a name, like 'Work' then it will almost never recognize it and decide to say 'Did you say......home?', its a utter pain in the ass.

The camera on it makes it almost pointless, max resolution is 640x480 and the pictures are insanely grainy, I've gotten to the point of not even bothering with it. I take a picture and want to set it as the wallpaper theres a hude spacing above and below it, they decided to set the camera's resolution ratio to a number that the screen cannot even display properly.

Theres several features on the 4400 that they seem to have taken out of the 6100, in my opinion it seems like LG is trying to downgrade their phones.

What I am looking for
  • Color Display
  • Speaker Phone
  • Voice Dialing
  • Sliding or Flip style
  • Customizable ringtones(downloadable or whatnot)
  • No side buttons or side buttons that dont get pressed easily
  • External LCD

Extra things I would really like
  • Decent Camera Phone
  • Color Caller ID
  • External Color LCD
  • Software 'Modable' abilities(Like configuring it to have free internet, changing several settings not normal on the phone)

I really really really do not want a LG phone. I was looking around and I'm thinking about either waiting for the Kyocera Slider Remix comes out or the Kyocera Koi. I really want opinions from people who have had phones personally that seem to match the stuff above.

Thanks in advance for the help folks.

I've got the Nokia 6600 and it's real nice. It's got a very nice cam, and all the stuff you listed minus the sliding style. Don't know what your price range is though.

I was looking at those Nokias and they look pretty nice. I've noticed there are several 66XX models, are they all improvements on older models? Or are they the LG style where the name upgrade just means downgrade in features.

Getting somewhat confused on things, if a phone is unlocked does that mean it can be used on any cellphone provider? I've got verizon wireless, just trying to see if there are any good nokias that can work with verizon, really interested in the Nokia 6620 now.

All Nokia phones from VZW are shit. So you wouldn't want those. The phones you want to be aiming at are the LG VX-8000's(I've got one, great piece of hot ass, takes the best pics in the VZW line-up, but, no Bluetooth... the MP3 feature is crippled, but you can easily get a data cable from Bitpim or Datapilot and add your own MP3 and videos. It's quite big, but I believe the phone is discontinued).

This is where your next option comes in the LG VX-8100, I see it as a downgrade as it uses a CMOS sensor rather than a CCD, which means shittier quality pics... but it has Bluetooth capability, but, siince we're talking VZW, it's pretty much crippled... it has memory expansion slot(MiniSD) so you can take extra pics and add your own MP3's. Problems solved using BitPim or Datapilot data cable...

Then the last option is the Motorola E815, it's cheaper than the 8100 and much better than the 8100 IMO. Takes better pics, but, still shittier than the 8000... has the same shit as the 8100... but hacking the phone is more beneficial... oh and I forgot to mention the E815 has the best RF in the line-up... the Motorola V710 used to have best RF, but they're discontinued.

Lastly... you could wait for the upcoming phones coming later this month and next month.

The new ones are the VX-9800, think of it as the T-Mobile Sidekick killer.

Then there's America's first 2MP camera phone coming out, it's a swivel... made by Samsung. The Samsung SCH-A970... word has it that it'll have best RF and surely have the best MP3 implementation in VZW, bluetooth, Transflash slot

http://www.howardforums.com/

The US and cell phones are real shitty... the best phones come from anywhere else, LOL. Europe and the Korea, China, Japan etc have like 5 MP Camera phones n shit.

The LG's and Motorola phones are currently dominating the VZW line-up. Kyocera phones in VZW are old as hell.

Trust me, Verizon has the latest shit in cell phone technologies as well... they have new phones all the time. Even though they're all shitty IMO. Just gotta pick the best shitty phone.

gf told me about this offer a few days ago for the new razor phone. apparently there are many sites offering it free after mail in rebates. its normally $150 and she says theyre good phones (she works for sprint). give it a google and see what you find.

He has Verizon Wireless, there are no RAZR's currently for VZW, I hear the RAZR's are coming in like late fall. Nothing special about the RAZR's anyways, they're just sleek.

I don't know if he is going to change services.

And no, let's say you get a phone from T-Mobile... you cannot activate it with Verizon... T-mobile is GSM, Verizon is CDMA. GSM uses SIM Card, and CDMA don't.

Razrs are good phones, I had one for a while. I believe j0ule got one a lil back also, may want to talk to him on that.

My current phone is a Nokia 7610.

A bit pricy, but an amazing phone, and it sure turns heads.

Sony Ericsson K750i

My dad just got one and i was playing about with it last night and I have to say its such a cool little phone. Excellent screen, great 2mega pixel camera which takes incredible photo's and it looks very cool too, bit pricey though, £300 here in teh UK for the sim free model.

EDIT: just read your post about you wanting a flip, sliding phone, the K750i isn't any of those, but I would recommend you check it out.

aye, k750i is great, i have the normal k700i which does the job very nicely. A flip phone...hmm you could go for the sony ericsson s700 instead, pricely things though, but do everything.

I notice a lot of RAZR's being suggested. If that does tickle your fancy, I recommend a Motorola v545. It's basically a smaller, fatter RAZR but with video capture. :)

Back