Looking for PC Speakers

Kakashi

Spy
Reaction score
I just got myself a new desk setup, figured it was time to change things up, including my speakers. I used to use a cheap Dell set of 5.1 speakers, but now I'm looking in the market for a decent 2.1 speaker set. I primarily want to use them with my PC for mostly music, and some gaming. I already own a pair of ATH-M50 headphones for quality listening sessions, but would like speakers to play out loud. Any and all suggestions would be appreciative.

What's your budget?

I've been tediously looking for a desktop speaker solution for a while, to not much avail. If you don't have a problem with Creative or Logitech, I'd just look at the systems in your price range and check out the reviews.

Outside of those brands I've found it difficult to find anything decent. This set by Klipsch has good reviews for a low-mid range set, but has one annoying caveat which is that the power switch is on the subwoofer instead of with the other controls. If this is more expensive than you were looking to spend, check out the sets from Altec Lansing, which I've seen good reviews on, and currently own a very old set which still performs well.

Unfortunately there aren't many other 2.1 sets in the 200-300 dollar price range that have good reviews. Your other option is to build your own set with a subwoofer and two satellites, like for example with these Polk Audio pieces: subwoofer, satellites. But the problem exists that there is no convenient volume control or power switch as with most other 2.1 systems.
If only there was a relatively cheap receiver for computers that cant take your stereo signal from your soundcard and have the necessary speaker outputs. Too bad all the receivers out there are for like high end home theaters and have way more features than necessary and are really expensive.

It's all been a huge headache for me, and I decided to just postpone the decisions while my current setup still works, and maybe something nice will come out.

The Harman Kardon soundsticks are a 2.1 system for 130 on Amazon and have some pretty spectacular sound quality. They're about 45 watts I think, 65 peak. I bought them to replace my old Logitech Z-5s that crapped out, and they have impressed me tremendously. They're very pretty, have a 5-inch sub, and plug into anything with a 3.5mm audio jack. I appreciate that since it means I can plug in a friend's MP3 player or tablet and run audio from it.

Also, I could smoke a cigar with the vent hole on either of the uprights. That's just cool.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. It has been a headache for me as well, so far I've been looking around for 2 or 3 months now and haven't found a great set yet. My budget is pretty much between $200-$300, there are options, but not too many that I liked. I have also been looking at a lot of the Logitech options to avail just yet. Maestro: thanks for the suggestion on the Harman Kardon soundsticks, I'll have to look more into those. The reviews look great.

I have a logitech 5.1 ZYX123WTF (I can't remember edition) speakers. They were only £100-130 but they sure turn a small room into a viable ultra-low budget home cinema.
Point is, for this budget range I think logitech would be a good brand.

Back