Looking to build a small mod team - Ideas and input welcome if accepted

green1152

Reaction score
I am a 3D artist, and I am looking to build a small mod team for Half-Life 2. I have a concept in my head, but I need a lot of help if I am going to pull this off.

My idea involves a large city in modern time, car chases, lots of over-the-top action, drug running, and gangs. (Vehicles will have damage inflicted upon them.) That should put a good picture in your head.

The current name I have going for this mod is called "The City of Dreams"

I have already started working on some 3d models, of which I will post below. I haven't developed them completely, because I am lacking in some areas that I really need some help in, which are:

Texture art
Mapping
Web Design
Coding/Programming
Sound

I'm just looking for some volunteers who have the same, or similar vision as I, and am looking for a 3D artist and animator.

If you want to help out, you can email me at:
[email protected]

Here are some renders to show my quality of work:
full1.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/943724/full2.jpg
broken2.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/943724/broken1.jpg

*Some not shown to save bandwidth*

Obviously you have been playing the GTA-series. I am not saying the idea is bad, but building up a game like that needs more work than most hobby teams can handle.

I haven't quite made my mind up about creating this mod for hl2 yet either. I would just like a small mod team to start with and get some ideas going. Then we can decide if we should move and build a bigger team.

Well the C.H.A.O.S team needs a modeler and your quite exellent :cheers:.
If you decide not to start a mod of your own then your quite welcome to join C.H.A.O.S.

- C.H.A.O.S Team

I'd be interested in your project. The Source engine, however, isn't really capable of such tasks. An engine such as Unreal would be much more beneficial. Sure the Source engine is great and all, however, it is still BSP-based and requires an extensive amount of rendering for it to show its true potential. The physics engine is by far the best, though not as great in an online environment. Anyway you go, I'd still like to help out. I'm a level designer, modeller, webpage designer and 2d artist (not textures, but graphics).

Hi. I am intrested in joining this mod team.. some of you might rember me from this thread.

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=78294

This is a hl2 gta baced mod.. But as you can see it slowly died out cuz i got stacked with work and other event's that have happened since. So if you are intrested in my potion on your mod team please add me to msn : [email protected] or email me or reply on this forum. Thanks

Jason

I hate to use your thread for recruiting, but if this doesn't work out I'm a member of a well-established mod called Xenos at the moment, and we're in need of a good modeler like you. We've already got two modelers (three, actually, but one is missing in action), but we need another, especially one of your caliber. Can't point you to a website due to our unannounced state, but if you're interested in being a part of a mod that's going to have aliens reminiscent of the Zerg from Starcraft or the aliens from the Alien movies, fighting human marines - let me know via PM.

As to your mod idea, it's been attempted before and it's a cool idea, but really you need a different engine - Source is not as well equipped to handle it as others are.

Unreal Tournament 2004 is the way to go. And once UT 2007 (as it's tentatively called) comes out, the mod can be easily ported over. Source is geared towards more claustrophobic fighting, ie, closed quarters. Sure the engine can render large areas in SP, but try doing that with an online environment where 32 players are cruising in vehicles that are packed with polies and you have a personalized version of a SLUGFEST. Sluggish performance for the uninitiated. And if you don't mind my asking, is that an AUDI car model? I see a resemblance.

The Battlefield 2 engine seems very capable. I've been conducting some tests with it and can safely say it is perfectly fit for a city environment where players race around trying t to eradicate each other in pimped out rides. The hardwork comes in the form of modelling and animating all the vehicles.

Back